Bones You'd Like to See, thread #2

Considering I am looking at miniatures for D&D sessions, that is what I will refer to in this post. I would love to see:

Pack Enemies: Wolves (Regular, Great, Dire, Frost, etc...) and other multi-legged creatures, similar to the Rats multi-pack

- Generic Adventurers: D&D races of various genders and standard classes in a multi-pack. Examples include: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Half-Elf, Half-Orc, Dragonborn, etc. with Fighter + Cleric + Thief + Wizard classes in a multi-pack. I am currently playing a Dragonborn Cleric, and there is no miniature that properly represents him or any of his race. Considering how rare the Dragonborn figures are from WotC in their expensive blind pre-painted multi-packs (or even purchased as a single figure from shops), and how easy it would be to convert or adapt current molds since Dragonborn have neither wings or tails and are essentially bulked-up dragon-headed lizardmen, I would think this is a prime opportunity!

- Young / Smaller Dragons: More like the Young Fire Dragon of further varied types (black, blue, green, white, gold, bronze, silver, copper, etc...)

- Classic Monsters: More of the traditional D&D monster staples which have been around since the days of yore when D&D was still new (the Great Worm / Purple Worm was a good start!)

Human Enemy Groups: Used as a basis for larger hordes / armies, similar to what can be done with the current Bones multi-packs of Zombies, Skeletons, Mummies, Orcs, Goblins, and Kobolds

Also, I am really liking the look and customization options of the Wargames Factory miniatures (wargamesfactory.com), which provide independent arms, torsos, heads, weapons, shields, and leg bases to allow full mix & match customization of entire hordes of figures. Might this be a consideration to save money on molds and provide greater flexibility in figure creation?

Basically you want minion armies? (in D&D 4e terms)

We already have skeletons, zombies, rats, bugs, goblins, kobolds and orcs.

And with KS Bones 2 we're getting more zombies, goblins, kobolds, gnolls, bugbears, town guards, derros, etc.

So obviously... I agree, we need still more!

I don't have a Bones group of generic low level thugs, nor an army of weak demons.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem like a sensible idea for Reaper to try to sell Bones packs for certain things. They already have a lot of them in metal but a Bones version wouldn't need a pistol case or the metal pricing. They could do townsfolk, city guard, gnoll, bugbear, orc, kobold, undead, swamp/aquatic, beastmen, giant, elemental, lesser demon, greater demon, beasts of the forest, goblin and several modern/sci-fi sets with just the stuff from KS 1 & 2. Even if they just packed up a set or two every so often as a limited time deal it might be nice for retail shops. 

• Like 1

Cranky Dog - To sum up your comments on my last post: I would love to have the ability to build "horde armies" of various types, but I would also like to see...

- Larger variety of pack hunters for wilderness encounters

- More diversity in the representation of dragons

- Selection of generic (read: unnamed) player character races and classes much like the old Ral Partha AD&D figures

- Larger selection of the "staple" dungeon and deep underground monsters / abominations

I have no idea as to what is coming out on the Bones 2 line because there is no advertisement or preview on the Reaper site, AFAIK - can you supply such or direct me where I can see what is coming?

I am looking at investing in such things because I am going to convert a lot of the old D&D modules from Original / 1st & 2nd Ed Advanced into 5th Ed, and while I have a number of overwhelmingly pre-painted miniatures already, they are mostly so specialized in sculpt and paint scheme that they look out-of-place as generic fodder. The older modules had a lot of actual dungeon crawling, so traditional dungeon denizens would be great!

It does seem like a sensible idea for Reaper to try to sell Bones packs for certain things. They already have a lot of them in metal but a Bones version wouldn't need a pistol case or the metal pricing. They could do townsfolk, city guard, gnoll, bugbear, orc, kobold, undead, swamp/aquatic, beastmen, giant, elemental, lesser demon, greater demon, beasts of the forest, goblin and several modern/sci-fi sets with just the stuff from KS 1 & 2. Even if they just packed up a set or two every so often as a limited time deal it might be nice for retail shops. 

hehehehe....  it's the bog o' figures discussion that pops up from time to time. Bryan has said in the past that the bog o' minis has a perception problem among the general market that when brought to the mini market is bad for Reaper sales.  You and I understand the value but the masses don't.  It would be a bad move for Reaper in the bigger picture.

• Like 3

hehehehe....  it's the bog o' figures discussion that pops up from time to time. Bryan has said in the past that the bog o' minis has a perception problem among the general market that when brought to the mini market is bad for Reaper sales.  You and I understand the value but the masses don't.  It would be a bad move for Reaper in the bigger picture.

I see. That's a very good point. Bryan is right. Normal buyers see things very differently from company loyal fans. I don't mind buying minis in huge kickstarter hauls or individually in stores or online. Whatever way Reaper decides to sell their minis I'll buy them. 

Cranky Dog - To sum up your comments on my last post: I would love to have the ability to build "horde armies" of various types, but I would also like to see...

- Selection of generic (read: unnamed) player character races and classes much like the old Ral Partha AD&D figures

- Larger selection of the "staple" dungeon and deep underground monsters / abominations

I have no idea as to what is coming out on the Bones 2 line because there is no advertisement or preview on the Reaper site, AFAIK - can you supply such or direct me where I can see what is coming?

I am looking at investing in such things because I am going to convert a lot of the old D&D modules from Original / 1st & 2nd Ed Advanced into 5th Ed, and while I have a number of overwhelmingly pre-painted miniatures already, they are mostly so specialized in sculpt and paint scheme that they look out-of-place as generic fodder. The older modules had a lot of actual dungeon crawling, so traditional dungeon denizens would be great!

Hi and welcome to the forums! A lot of the minis you are looking for have come out in Bones 2. You should be pretty happy with many of the new stuff. Here's a great webpage that lets you see the minis in a closeup form and it shows which ones were already made in metal and which ones are brand new sculpts. It's very helpful.

~Bones Kickstarter Aftermath~

WRT poses, Bones cuts and superglues into variant poses easier than most styrene or "restic" glues together in the first place. While this has limits, it is by far the easiest customization you will EVER do. It's hard to describe just how easily Bonesium cuts, trims, and glues. Re-posing a Bonesium arm is much easier than gluing together, say, the "restic" models from my Deadzone KS haul, and it binds really fast and really well with superglue.

If you dig back through the archives, Reaper has hinted again and again that ready-to-roll miniatures consistently sell better for them than miniatures that need gluing. So I think they won't be moving towards more multipart kits in the Bones line, except with really big figures. I'm enough of an enthusiast to be here on the forums, but time-poor (and lazy!) so I think I speak for the more general customer when I say: convenience wins every time!

• Like 1

Well, given the lack of details in the Shadows of Brimstone scupts, I'd like to see Reaper and Pinnacle team up for some sort of Deadlands miniature and skirmish game, maybe even including 3D Bones terrain. There's rules, mini's, and stuff all over the place, but a single set I can use for Deadlands RPG would be appreciated. Mebbe even have characters modeled after the Deadlands card game!

I would like to see a line of "FloorBones".

Right now gamers of dungeon adventures have a choice between cardboard floor tiles, that are easy to transport, store, and often have pretty graphics but are still very 2dimensional... and products like DwarvenForge that are very 3dimensional with floors and walls but are heavy, bulky, and not easy to transport and store in bulk amounts. With its walls, player visibility of the minis is also a consideration. Even fitting minis whose bases might fit in a hallway but have outreaching arms, weapons, wings, tentacles and other limbs, can be a problem by simply not fitting into the confined space. And while the new DF sets are cheaper than the original sets, buying them in the quantity needed for gameplay is still beyond the price range of a lot of gamers, I know it is for me.

I know that Reaper doesn't want to step on anyone's toes, but I think there's a market there for a flat tile system without walls that still has some 3dimensionality of carved stonework, grates, pits etc that hobbyists can paint up and gamers can use as is.

There could be rough stonework floor tiles, finished stone, even starship deck flooring for scifi games. Overhang of weapons, wings etc is no longer a problem, and with the tiles being flat, they are much easier to store and transport to games, and would be affordable.

Reaper already makes, or soon will be through its Bones II kickstarter, various pieces of dungeon dressing that could be used with such a product. Free standing features such as doors could also be created. In fact there is already a scifi door coming out from the Bones II kickstarter:

photo_zpsf7c36ae1.jpg

So yeah. You can probably tell from the length of my post that this is a product I'd really like to see Reaper make. I believe there's a lot of possibilities with it.

EDIT: just thought of another benefit. Reaper could make textured bases to match the various floor tile designs. Would really help make the minis look the part.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
Thought of another benefit.
  • Like 6

I think my happy spot will be the various Bones props (like the starship door Darsc showed, and the dungeon decor bookship, table, dragon's don't share ruins, etc). I don't really want to bother with special floor tiles but having some key pieces to make it more than just a box drawn on a vinyl mat will give things a lot of flavor.  I plan to use my small set of DF cavern tiles as a set-piece for taking pictures of minis, not active gaming.

To make this a request, I'd like more accent terrain pieces, like a weapons rack or a trap, and some dungeon and castle doorways (the way out is often very important!).

• Like 3

I find no flaws here. I <3 the ole school monsters and still want to be able to get them.