Spongey Bones models?

Eilif

Over at Dakka some folks have mentioned receiving certain models -or sections of models- that are spongey. That is, they are a soft to the touch and even large parts that give when pressed with a finger. It's happened often enough that they've named it.

The infamous Wehrkind Spongy Factor - named after the first user to report the issue.
I'm not aware if Reaper is aware of it, or if they've made any comment about it...

The most common offenders seem to be certain large body parts of Kaladrax, but some folks have reported weapons or minis so soft that they bend easier than the bristles on a brush.

My inital instinct was to be skeptical, but the reports seem to be coming from folks who have no bone to pick with Reaper and who are otherwise very pleased with their orders.

Have other folks experienced this, and what's the official word from Reaper?

Edited by Eilif

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had weapons/minis that bend quite easily where they are thin. That is part and parcel for the material, I think. I've had no large pieces that feel 'spongy' though? I don't have Kaladrax (I'm dumb), but I do have the other big bones items and they are all as solid as the bones material gets.

Interestingly enough, I logged in here this morning to ask the same question. Particularly with kaladrax and one of the extra add-on giants is where the material feels closer to rubber than plastic. I can easily squeeze kaladrax's head and push his mouth open. One of the female giants also has such a spongy feeling spear I could almost circle the shaft. I'm still on the fence with the whole plastic mini's thing as it is, never been a fan of any of the other plactic mini's I've tried but I think this is most likely a case of quality control (or lack thereof). In any case I'd like to hear/see a response and see what Reaper has to say. As a side question has anyone tried heat treating these pieces to see how they react?

-Z

I almost sounds like air got into the mix. A few days ago Bryan or Kit said that they were taking time to open a selection of Kaladrax boxes. I'm betting this is why.

Edited by TaleSpinner

The entire head piece on kaladrax is spongy, didn't notice it on any other kaladrax piece. The tail for instance would have to be boiled to get to bend, while the head I can move the jaw like he's a puppet. On the giant I just noticed it on the spear, I didn't even take her out of plastic. I realize some flexibility should be there, but other pieces just as thin seem much more rigid. All in all I glanced through the entire vampire box and other models mentioned with problems (orc with a club?) were rock-rigid, no bend at all. Like I said, to me it's more quality control, but if there is a workaround (like drop the noggin in boiling h2o for a bit then let sit) I'm all for doing that than dealing with the hassle of return or replace. At the same time, I'm happy to send the noggin back as an example, no problem.

Reaper's top-notch and I'd rather help find a solution than knock them on it, especially considering the parts came from China. And I really wasn't sure I was backing this project til they announced the intention to bring the whole casting process in-house. Happy to support any company that wants to do that.

-Z

• Like 2

Like I said, to me it's more quality control, but if there is a workaround (like drop the noggin in boiling h2o for a bit then let sit) I'm all for doing that than dealing with the hassle of return or replace. At the same time, I'm happy to send the noggin back as an example, no problem.

-Z

Bones can be placed in hot (almost boiling is what I use) water then dipped in cold water to reshape, but I'm not sure it would fix what you are describing. It doesn't make the parts any more or less flexible once they are back to room temperature, it just allows you to get them back to their proper shape if they are bent.

Wait and see if we get an official response just in case anyone at Reaper wants an example of spongy bones before the noggin goes into the boiling dunk tank. I'll grab the box at lunch and see if I find any others that are the same spongy feel.

-Z

I almost sounds like air got into the mix. A few days ago Bryan or Kit said that they were taking time to open a selection of Kaladrax boxes. I'm betting this is why.

They were opening Kaladrax boxes because of a seemingly inordinate number of mix ups when it came to his legs. A lot of people have been reporting getting two of one leg and none of another.

In regards to the rest of the thread, I noticed my Kaladrax's head was a good bit squishier than the rest of him, but I'm not worried about it in the least. He's going to be a display piece more than anything, simply because he's just way too massive to put on a table. Especially once you get the tail involved.

I didn't realize that other people were encountering this as well and had just figured that maybe different types of plastic were being used for some reason, maybe based on how a particular mini or part is sculpted. The head and end cap of the tail on my Kaladrax definitely have a different consistency (softer and "spongey") than his other parts.

A few months ago, I purchased a pair of the bugbears from the Bones line and they were of the spongey variety. I was somewhat dismayed when painting them because the shaft of the mace was so flexible that the paint was flaking off from getting accidentally bent or wiggled. As these were my first encounters with Bones and both minis were like this, I just assumed that this was normal. I was quite relieved when I got my Kickstarter goodies and found that those models (with the exception of Kaladrax's head and tail cap) are much more rigid.

I have seen plastics behave badly due to contamination; often companies are allowed to use a certain percentage of recycled material mixed with the virgin plastic. But I would think a thin coating in super glue on the offending parts would resolve any issues. I have found the areas of super glue on the pre-assembled Bones to be much harder than the rest of the models. Just be careful that you don't accidentally become part of the model.

Edit: It also occured to me that we used different material compostion depending on the detail and thickness of the parts. It could be that some models require different materials in order to get the plastic to flow into all the nooks and crannies of the mold. I did not get Kaly as part of my reward package; does the head have a lot of holes or detail?

Edited by DocPiske

in some of my models i have noticed bits of black... maybe there was some contamination.

Edit:

found pieces with the black marks have some malformation an poor fits on unassembeld items.

second edit found Kaladrax head and tail tip to be spongey.

Edited by Baufrin

Update: Both female add-on giants are spongy, although not to the extent of the kaladrax pieces (granted they are both much larger solid pieces). Both have spears than can be turned into "U" shapes with very little force. In contrast the fingers of the rock/earth elemental from the forces of nature add-on can barely be moved and are about the same thickness, these are however very short, so probably not the best comparison. The swords from the various giant add-ons are all bendable to some extent as well, but even those, which are all about the same size in thickness and width, have varying "bendiness". Kaladrax pieces affected are head and tail...feels more like a rubber than a plastic. Very different feel between models. I would have expected a bit more of a solid feel, but I'm used to metals with the very occasional GW plastic.

-Z