Spongey Bones models?

The softer parts didn't bother me at all. As someone who's painted exactly 1 mini in my life, I'm confident that I'll be able to manage those parts. I'm FAR more concerned with the incredibly brittle Wyrmgear wings. I think I may just build new ones out of hardware store parts.

• Like 1
  • Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in some of my models i have noticed bits of black... maybe there was some contamination.

Edit:

found pieces with the black marks have some malformation an poor fits on unassembeld items.

second edit found Kaladrax head and tail tip to be spongey.

My guess is the did not get the temperature right and burn some of the PVC and the spongey part are properly due to a bad mix of the PVC which I bet is they didn't get the temperature right (or keep it at the right temperature to avoid burn) during the mixing.

EDIT:

If temperature is really the issue someone ought to tell the factory we don't mind a bit burn on our PVC since we are going to paint over it anyway but please get the mix right.

Edited by Redshylock

in some of my models i have noticed bits of black... maybe there was some contamination.

Edit:

found pieces with the black marks have some malformation an poor fits on unassembeld items.

My guess is the did not get the temperature right and burn some of the PVC and the spongey part are properly due to a bad mix of the PVC which I bet is they didn't get the temperature right (or keep it at the right temperature to avoid burn) during the mixing.

EDIT:

If temperature is really the issue someone ought to tell the factory we don't mind a bit burn on our PVC since we are going to paint over it anyway but please get the mix right.

Except where it was posted by Reaper last page of this thread that the "spongey" bits are softer on purpose.

Edit:

EDIT:

Except where it was posted by Reaper last page of this thread that the "spongey" bits are softer on purpose.

Opps~ My bad~

I've had a couple minis that are just too soft.

I get Kaladrax's head being kinds rubbery, but I've got a Deathsleet that really, really wants to be crawling around on all fours and my Bone Giant could be the reverse limbo champion at this point!

I get Kaladrax's head being kinds rubbery, but I've got a Deathsleet that really, really wants to be crawling around on all fours and my Bone Giant could be the reverse limbo champion at this point!

From what was mentioned in one of the WIP threads, when some squishy goblins spent time in boiling water they were not so squishy afterwards - it might be worth a go to see if it firms up your Deathsleet & Giant.

From what was mentioned in one of the WIP threads, when some squishy goblins spent time in boiling water they were not so squishy afterwards - it might be worth a go to see if it firms up your Deathsleet & Giant.

Yeah, that was me and, I think, redambrosia. We both noticed that our Pathfinder goblins were stiffer after boiling, though mine were still on the slightly soft side. They were much better, though.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

The rubberiness is mitigated with a boil and ice water bath. My pathfinder goblins were all rubbery, but after a boil and ice water bath they are solid. The thinner parts, like their arms, still bend when you push on them, but it is in the normal range of what you'd expect a hard plastic to do.

So if you want to take a few minutes to do it, the rubberiness issue can be addressed yourself.

I'm going to have to try this. Mine are so bad they do the muppet arm shake with any amount of movement.

My Kaladrax head and tail tip are spongy, but the rest is solid. I've also had the issue with giant's weapons though. They are so soft, i think i am going to have to deeply drill and pin them. to get them to stay straight.

If drilling and pinning are a chore that you do not particularly look forward to (I am weird enough that I often enjoy that kind of thing), then it may interest you to know that in a few of the other threads (or a few times in the same thread - I am too brain dead to chase it down) have said that heating and cooling the area seems to remove some or all of the rubberiness (may require more than one boil and cool session for larger pieces).