Spongey Bones models?

Eilif

C'thulhu's tentacles in the thicker part are as flexible as my Bones goblin archers' bows or the end of Flit's tail. In the much thinner part it's substantially springier, yes... exactly the same springiness as the Gnoll's morning star chain.

I honestly expected that when I got these two I'd notice something very odd was going on. I didn't. They're as flexible as other Bones I got before the big box. More than some, equal to others.

• Like 1

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This really seems like a petty complaint to me and I am really completely new to Reaper. I keep seeing people that are complaining about this "spongy" factor describing it as an error, a defect or in someway a problem. I am really wanting to know what problems people are seeing this actually cause in the painting of the minis. Is it actually causing an issue or is it just something that seems different than we are used to so it must be bad? Why is bendiness an issue at all? If it takes paint well and ends up looking cool isn't that what we are looking for? So long as it holds it's shape and does what it was designed to do, look cool painted and be resilient for game use at a fraction of the pewter cost, then what is the problem?

I didn't get into the KS so all of my stuff was bought at Ebay cost. I paid $50 for big Kali and am super happy to have done so. I paid $250 for the Vampire box and really even with the nose problem of a few minis I mentioned in the faces thread I am super excited still. Do I hope the nose issue is fixed by Reaper and they give me a replacement product darn right I do but am I going to go on a tirade about it? I agree the nose complaint is a legitimate one and it should be fixed, but the soft Kali head? Frankly it is not that soft and until anyone can show me where it causes an actual issue in painting it is not an issue at all.

Edited by prophetic_joe

That's just the thing - several people (myself included) have actually put paint on the "spongey" parts to show that they take and hold paint just fine. We've yet to see a single instance of the opposite, despite several people assuming it will be an issue.

Well I would be more than willing to pay them back for their KS pledge if they are unhappy.

As for me I am a super Reaper fan after receiving my post KS, extra costly Bones. I Have since even spent some extra money on some bigger pewter stuff. I bought Diabolus and it came with a miscast body. Reaper during this second mad rush of fulfilling KS rewards still replaced the miscast piece in a matter of days. I am completely happy woth the customer service I have received from this company so far.

Now, you asked for a video, and

Actually, I asked for a video, and I also stated I had no dog in this hunt, and I also didn't dispute what others have reported. My Bones are about as flexible as the ones shown in the video. I'm a new customer, having jumped in on the Kickstarter without ever having bought anything from Reaper before. I bought all the available Bones waiting for the Kickstarter Bones to ship. Beyond that, I had bought only a handful of minis in my life, and the last gaming minis I bought before the Reaper Kickstarter were metals, and that was more than 25 years ago. All that said, that kind of flexibility - specifically what is shown in the video, and what I've seen with my own Bones, especially now that I've handled and examined every single one in order to inventory my Kickstarter - is, for me, a feature, not a bug. That is, I was looking for minis that I could simply grab a handful of, stuff in a pocket or bag, and not have to worry about bending or breaking. I'm not likely to ever want to paint them, so I really have no idea how that flexibility will affect any paint job on them. I've read a number of comments about the issue, but the jury seems to still be out. Anyway, all I can say is that I'm happy with the Bones I received, and will be buying more. So Reaper got at least one new customer out of this.

• Like 1

Not aiming this at anyone in particular, but one issue that does seem to keep coming up is an unfamiliarity with the material and deciding that it's either unworkable or wrong.

It's a different material, and it will need to be treated differently, just like there are different techniques suited for preparing and assembling plastic, resin or metal miniatures. Bones is none of those three, if you treat it the same you will come into difficulties, and as the material isn't going to change, you'll need to.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

I have never bought a miniature prior to the kickstarter. I am pretty satisfied with the bones product. When I first read the thread title, i thought the material was going to be like foam and squish and take forever to return to shape, but that was just the wrong word to describe the material. The bones product is bendable or twistable and I am okay with that. The miniatures are going to see gameplay and from my short experience with the affordable miniatures, I am okay with how the material performs.

It's also worth restating - this can all be fixed by the recipient fairly easily.

• Boiling and cooling the Bones material is reported to reduce it's sproinginess (and I hereby nominate this term to stand by 'flubbery' in the Bones Lexicon). Put a pot that you aren't going to use for food on the cooktop, bring to a roiling boil, submerge the Bones material in it for a suitable length of time (I recommend 2 minutes or so myself) to allow it to heat through and turn all flubbery, then remove and plunge immediately into ice water. I use a sieve to hold the Bones, as it keeps the Bones away from the side of the pot and makes removal and plunging a snap.
  • Bones is incredibly easy to pin. Heating up a small needle or pin will make insertion into the figure a snap, no drilling required in my experience. Counter sinking it can be a bit of a pain, I admit : )
  • You could, if you really wanted, cover it with superglue or gesso or some other rigid skin to reduce sproinginess. I do feel that an endoskeleton works better than an exoskeleton for this purpose however.

Is Bones different from metal or resin? Absolutely. Does it have some disadvantages? Indubitably. But to call it 'spongey' seems to be misnaming the syndrome. It's not compressible to any great degree, which is what I expected when I heard people saying it was spongelike. It can be sproingy to an almost ridiculous extent. I've had some Bones that seemed more rigid than others. There's certainly a wide variation in the material, from Wyrmgears wings (rigid, to the point of warping if heated) to Kaladraxs head (sproingy to the point in some cases of wobbling in a stiff breeze).

It seems to be tied to how difficult a particular part is to remove from a mold - the wings are flat surfaces and likely come out with minimal effort, whereas I shudder to think the torture each and ever Cthulhu has suffered to remove his tentacles from the steely grip of the Mold of R'yleh.

We're not trying to be rude about this, or explain away a fault from Reaper with this guys. I absolutely encourage you to bring it up with Reaper if you feel it's a problem. All I can say is that from the reports I'm seeing?

I won't be.

Edited by Laoke
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting the video.

The "spongey" models in that video are more like what I expect from Bones, the firmer Mummy is what I would consider the unusual model. If Bones moves to be more consistent with the Mummy I'm ok with that, but its not what I expected from the product based on the original dozen or so released.

So an update on my Kaladrax.

I cleaned off the offending spraypaint that was all sticky with a good ol' Simple Green bath. Then, after a very good rinse and letting the parts dry, I applied some basic water based paint with a brush.

It is now over a week later and the parts are still not sticky or flaking. The "flubbery" Bones is holding up very well! ::D:

I guess I should stick with just using a brush and take my time. :;):

• Like 2