Sign in to follow this  
Eilif

Spongey Bones models?

The bone giant seemed a lot more rubbery than the rest for me, but that's the only one I've really noticed (and I have most of the add-ons).

I wont have by box o' bones until next Tuesday but I have a couple questions on this issue:

For those that have spongy bits problem: How well do those parts take paint? And after the paint has set/dried does it stay on fairly well? I've done some testing with some of the original bones and haven't had any problems (none are spongy though) with paint flaking/cracking due to bending. I even shook the my bugbear around by the mace and didn't note any damage. I had some base coated zombies and skeletons that where boiled and none of the paint came off.

The bone giant seemed a lot more rubbery than the rest for me, but that's the only one I've really noticed (and I have most of the add-ons).

Out of curiosity, does he still stand up and hold the pose on his own? Or is he just exceptionally bendy when force is applied?

Most of these descriptions sound about the same as the pre-KS bones I have. I don't have a single figure with a weapon that can't be bent into a U. A stiff breeze could bend Sir For Scale's sword. Are people saying it's softer than that?

My Kaladrax Head and tail, the female giants, and C'thulu's head are all extremely flexible. Almost like a soft rubber rather than plastic. I'm especially concerned given a previous poster was commenting that his rubbery bones that were painted suffered from flaking paint. I fear no amount of dull-cote will resove this.

A wash with thinned super-glue may help as previously suggested, but then as the item flexes (as you know it will) it will most likely crack and then flake.

Hmmm... it is interesting that it seems to mostly be the larger miniatures: the female giants, Kaladrax, and Cthulhu in particular. The parts affected also seem fairly consistent: Kaladrax head and tail, Cthulhu Head, and female giants spears. Those affected should be able to get replacement parts/mini's at least. Not until fulfillment is over though, unfortunatley.

Great...now I am paranoid about any problems with my shipment >_<

Given the response I got about Wyrmgear's wings being a totally different plastic (Very stiff, I beat it would hold an edge as a slashing blade). I wonder if we are getting the same parts because it is intentional. There parts might be more flexible to get out of the molds. Kaladrax;s wings are much flatter (2D) than the tail spike (very 3D) so the softer material allows it to be extract from the mold. The head is single piece while most of the smaller dragon heads are top and bottom. These are part count/mold reducing techniques. Since I only paid 10 dollars for it not bad but at 75 dollars it would be pretty disappointing.

I have not received my Bones yet. However, my friend got his shipment last week and the head and tail end (only the last piece of the tail) were spongey. Also, C'Thulhu's head was spongey. I handled the models so I am speaking from my experience, not from word of mouth.

At this point, I am not sure if this was intentional, or if it is a quality control issue. Further, I am not sure how it will impact the use of the models after they are painted. The reviews of the Bones models prior to this Kickstarter release suggests paint will stick (and not chip) to the traditional (non spongey) plastic even though that material has a tendency to flex or bend. Will this hold true for the spongey portions as well? No idea.

It would be nice to get some response from Reaper...though I am content to wait for them to get on the other side of the shipping challenge! I am fairly confident Reaper will address the concern and do so in a upstanding manner. They have proven to be a very reliable company. In fact, that is why I was willing to risk so much money on this (ad)venture (V+19 add ons) with them.

I'd like to see some actual photo examples before I start condemning the stuff. Yeah, it's softer than other parts of the same model, but I have seen no indication that the paint won't stick like it would anywhere else.

935804_10101190737629425_1271236892_n.jp

480847_10101190737893895_2094956176_n.jp

From "Sinful Hero" here:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/1740/464802.page

Bones is supposed to be a bit flexible, but a model that flexible will be much more prone to paint cracking. I have a hard time thinking that this is an intentional molding design feature.

The superglue method mentioned above might make it less easy to bend, but any flexing that does occur could crack the glue. CA (unless rubberized) is very brittle.

So far the good news is that it seems to be limited to a few models and not across the range. I'm sure Reaper will sort it out.

Edited by Eilif
  • Like 1

He could just be really strong. I can bend the Kaladrax horn with the same thickness part of the wing with at least a 5:1 ratio of bend. IE the horn bends 5 mm for each 1 mm for the wing part bends.

I am still not sure what the problem is, unless the "spongey" parts don't spring back to their normal shape. I can bend the bow of the Lindir Elf Archer from the original 29 Bones the same way as shown in the pictures of Kaladrax's horn, but it hasn't affected how the paint takes on it, the same with the other flexible parts of the Bones I have. I suppose I'll just have to wait until my Kickstarter Bones arrive (probably next week at the earliest) and see what the big deal is.

• Like 4

I'm not convinced this will affect the paint through normal use. Sure, if you bend his jaw all the way back, it might flake, but there's no way that'll happen when it's just being pushed around a tabletop. I primarily paint plastic minis, and I've never had paint flake off of even the bendiest spear no matter how much I twist it.

I also agree that this is intentional: different parts have different consistencies depending on their needs. Wyrmgear has rigid wings to hold them up; Cthulhu has a rubbery head to get those tentacles out of the mold properly. This isn't likely to be something they can or will fix, though I obviously have no inside knowledge.

EDIT: The term "spongy" is also confusing to me, as it makes me imagine that they're compressible. That is, you should be able to squeeze them like a sponge. It doesn't look like this is the case; they just seem rubbery and plastic. Which makes sense, given that they're made of a rubbery plastic.

Edited by Slendertroll