Spongey Bones models?

Eilif

I have a lot of experience with the bones medium, and the prepaints before that. The big guys' heads do not have the same rigidity. My fear isn't the paint cracking off of Cthulhu's tentacles; it's the fact that Cthulhu's tentacles are so springy that they will be impossible to paint without holding them still at both ends. The same goes for Kaladrax's horns. Putting paint down in a consistent, controlled manner may be impossible on these floppy bits. Who cares if it stays on permanently if the paint job is borked from the get-go?

Also, I find the attitude by the Reaper Cheerleaders in this thread to be insulting. If several customers are reporting the same grievances with the final product, then it is something Reaper needs to address. Blaming customers for wanting what they paid for is unhelpful at best, especially when Reaper never mentioned during the Kickstarter that some parts may have the consistency of sticky hands. It is not the customer's fault if the company delivered goods in a condition other than described and established by prior product. If we wanted that experience, we'd all pledge for Mantic's Kings of War again.

• Like 2

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it.

I don't have Kaladrax, though I wish I had ordered him. I DO have Cthulhu, and while his tentacles are flexible, they're not much more so than the Bones skeletal spearmen. There is some flexibility in the Bones products, particularly so in small ankles and weapon parts, but this is easily fixable; I heat the figure with a hair dryer, bend the item in question to the desired position, and dunk it in ice water. It sets up nearly instantly and stays there. Trick I learned when I was into HeroClix.

Bones ain't much different, flexibility wise, than HeroClix or other plastic figures. Or am I simply missing the issue because none of my figures is what I'd call "spongy?"

I just checked my Kaladrax, and while I was able to twist the horns like the picture on the previous page, it isn't without considerable effort on my part and I was actually pushing so hard I was momentarily afraid that I might be breaking them.

They're moveable, yes, but no more than any Bones arm, spear, sword, or leg that I've ever encountered. Honestly, the force of a brushstroke wouldn't move them at all.

So there's another testimony to add to the pile, I guess.

I mean, I'd be griping if the plastic bent easier than my brush bristles, sure. But Bones are somewhat flexible; I knew this when I got into the Kickstarter. They're still eminently paintable, as well as cuttable, reposable, and reworkable.

I mean, sure, I can fold a skeleton spearman in half, if I want, but he doesn't normally WANT to go that way...

I am curious about the comment I read where the person stated that they can blow on the figure and parts bend. I would think that is a manufacturing problem that should be addressed for later runs. It will be interesting to see what pans out with that observation.

Agreed. I'm also concerned about the reports that the legs of Kaladrax aren't bearing the load of the figure, as I can easily see that being a problem given the increased mass of the figure.

Righty now I think we've at least answered one question - does the increased flexibility of the Kaladrax head have consequences for durability of paint? Right now it looks like the answer is 'not as far as we can tell'. This is of course open to revision, and I'd love to see someone do the test with a more fully painted Kaladrax noggin.

The floppy figure concerns me a little more - I know that the spears of the Bone Skellington Spearmen are floppy enough to make drybrushing them challanging. From the sounds of it this is a step beyond that, to the extent they likely resemble the flexibility of boiled Bones before they're set. That is concerning and I hope we get some more information on it.

I'm also a little concerned about the facial detailing of some of the figures - from what we've heard, some may possibly be quite undefined (although, without photos of examples both unpainted and painted, it's a little hard to tell). Still, the pre-Bones figures I got have very good detailing so I'm just going to wait and see. I think if it is a problem, we're likely seeing a QA issue caused by the time pressure Reaper & their supplier were under. If it was a flaw with the Bones material itself we'd have seen it from the Bathalian figure which has a lot of detail, both on the facial area and elsewhere on the miniature.

It very well might be that some of these will have to be exchanged, and that some people might be SOL, but it sounds like the majority of figures have some increased flexibility, but that it's unlikely to be a real problem.

I, for one, see the shock-absorbing quality of Bones to be a bonus feature for someone like me who tends to knock around and drop things with my gorilla hands. Just as long as it doesn't bend dramatically with normal handling or under its own weight.

• Like 1

If something's really rubbery it could very well be an odd batch, but it's a bit hard to tell over the net!

I found my pre-KS bones to be more flexible than I'd expected, but then, in turn, this worked better than I'd expected, too. But I wouldn't say they were rubbery as such, which seems to be the problem. Hopefully once everyone gets their Bones in hand we can do some better comparisons and figure out how extensive the problem is.

Only skimmed the thread, but speculation on Dakka Dakka is that some air got into some of the plastics or bad plastic was recycled, so it's a QC issue.

I'm not too surprised. Given the unexpected size of the project and the deadlines, errors were bound to come through. Kaladrax parts were mispacked, to the point that Reaper shipping is now inspecting each box before shipping the order. Kaladrax and Netherwhatzisname were not the size Reaper specified (not that I mind for Kaladrax!). Some Vampire boxes were missing figures. As I understand it, this happened on the China side at the manufacturing level. Send an email to Reaper customer service, although replacements won't be sent out until KS orders haven't been shipped.

EDIT: Also miscasts: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50162-loss-of-detail-on-the-faces-of-bones-minis/page-2

Just imagine what if GW ran a KS for their new resin, Finecast...!

Edited by ced1106

I am curious about the comment I read where the person stated that they can blow on the figure and parts bend. I would think that is a manufacturing problem that should be addressed for later runs. It will be interesting to see what pans out with that observation.

I've seen my kids blow out birthday candles and I'm pretty sure they could blow a metal mini out of shape.

• Like 1

I can answer the question about how paint works on the Kaladrax head and tail.

It doesn't.

At least not a spray paint. The rest of the model painted up very well. The head and tail did not take the paint and stayed very wet and tacky until I cleaned them with the good ol Simple Green.

If anyone know what should be used to paint Spongedrax please post it!

When I say tail, I mean just the spikey end of the tail.

Edited by Mattimao

I haven't experienced any loss of facial features on any of the figures I've dealt with. I will mention that a lot of the figures look like they have problems. An excellent example is the dragonmam/Reptus with the upraised sword. To me he looked like his face was a jumble of mold lines and not much else, until I brushed on some wash. After that his features are more visible. I'm not saying that some might not have issues, just that I have not encountered any yet.

Also, I find the attitude by the Reaper Cheerleaders in this thread to be insulting. If several customers are reporting the same grievances with the final product, then it is something Reaper needs to address. Blaming customers for wanting what they paid for is unhelpful at best, especially when Reaper never mentioned during the Kickstarter that some parts may have the consistency of sticky hands. It is not the customer's fault if the company delivered goods in a condition other than described and established by prior product. If we wanted that experience, we'd all pledge for Mantic's Kings of War again.

No one is blaming any customers for anything. At least, I haven't read anything like that.

Right now the Reaper staff is still really busy with shipping fulfilment. It would be helpful to understand this problem better if those with a Kaladrax who are willing to experiment and would test things out on him. Once I get mine (on Monday, yay!) I'm going to see if the head and tail is soft and flexible, and how it holds up to painting and being played with. Then I'll post my pictures and observations. This will help Reaper and other customers.

Hopefully the truly problem plastic is an abberation, and once the rush of fulfilment is over Reaper can take care of the folks that got a bad mini. But if Kaladrax's head is just more flexible than the rest of him, which is what I personally suspect, then the majority of people with inquiries will be helped by tests done before the Reaper staff even has time to think about the something other than packing boxes.

As has been stated before, all the production was done in China, which isn't known for the greatest quality control (no offense intended to the Chinese). Once they move production in house, their quality control will be back to their usual good standards.

• Like 2

I can answer the question about how paint works on the Kaladrax head and tail.

It doesn't.

At least not a spray paint. The rest of the model painted up very well. The head and tail did not take the paint and stayed very wet and tacky until I cleaned them with the good ol Simple Green.

If anyone know what should be used to paint Spongedrax please post it!

When I say tail, I mean just the spikey end of the tail.

Did you thoroughly wash these pieces before spray painting? Also what sort of spray paint did you use? I ask as trystangst didn't appear to have that problem when he posted on the previous page using P3 paint with isopropyl so knowing what all the variables are would be helpful to figuring out if it's an issue with material, paint, prep or a combination of any of those.

Is it possible that some people have truly defective minis or parts of minis? Sure. I am confident Reaper will take care of those folks.

Is it realistic to expect Reaper to re-cast all the Kaladrax heads and tails to be as rigid as the rest of him? No. There's no reason to.

• Like 1

So, I'm sitting here stroking Cthulhu's tentacles...

Wait, that sounds wrong. Start again.

After examining my Cthulhu, it appears that there are multiple formulations of the Bones plastic. I'm using the bones unicorn I have as a 'control' as it where. The body of Cthulhu seems to be made of a much stiffer formulation than the unicorn. The fingers on the hands, for example, do not bend at all while I can bend the front legs on the unicorn. The head, however, seems to be a softer plastic. The tentacles bend much easier than the much thinner unicorn's horn.

Detail on the head seems good though, with striations and suckers on the tenacles and texture on the underside of the gills. Not sure if the flexibility will cause problems with painting, but I have a light touch so I am not anticipating issues.

• Like 5