Spongey Bones models?

Eilif

<MOD>

Reaper has been made aware of the reported issue.

If you find you have received something that requires communication with Reaper, email their customer service address at [email protected] and be prepared to wait until after the bulk of the shipping is complete for resolution. It has been stated multiple times, in multiple locations that corrections won't happen until the fulfillment shipping push has completed.

Agree to disagree. Follow the forum rules. Be the goat.

</MOD>

• Like 10

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Cthulhus head hollow? Can you see into it or is it enclosed? Just wondering if this might have something to do with the thickness of the material.

EDITED: Not hollow

Edited by Nocturne

I have a lot of experience with the bones medium, and the prepaints before that. The big guys' heads do not have the same rigidity. My fear isn't the paint cracking off of Cthulhu's tentacles; it's the fact that Cthulhu's tentacles are so springy that they will be impossible to paint without holding them still at both ends. The same goes for Kaladrax's horns. Putting paint down in a consistent, controlled manner may be impossible on these floppy bits. Who cares if it stays on permanently if the paint job is borked from the get-go?

Are they (the tentacles) more flexible than the spears on the pre-KS skeletal spearmen?

That's a pretty straightforward question that anyone with a familiarity with the material and previous products would be able to answer. And it's an important question, because it helps separate people who received a faulty product from people who simply had incorrect expectations.

I have a lot of experience with the bones medium, and the prepaints before that. The big guys' heads do not have the same rigidity. My fear isn't the paint cracking off of Cthulhu's tentacles; it's the fact that Cthulhu's tentacles are so springy that they will be impossible to paint without holding them still at both ends. The same goes for Kaladrax's horns. Putting paint down in a consistent, controlled manner may be impossible on these floppy bits. Who cares if it stays on permanently if the paint job is borked from the get-go?

Are they (the tentacles) more flexible than the spears on the pre-KS skeletal spearmen?

That's a pretty straightforward question that anyone with a familiarity with the material and previous products would be able to answer. And it's an important question, because it helps separate people who received a faulty product from people who simply had incorrect expectations.

Not appreciably so. And I typed this after holding the spearman in my left hand and Cthulhu's head in my right.

His head is also not hollow.

Also, I find the attitude by the Reaper Cheerleaders in this thread to be insulting. If several customers are reporting the same grievances with the final product, then it is something Reaper needs to address. Blaming customers for wanting what they paid for is unhelpful at best, especially when Reaper never mentioned during the Kickstarter that some parts may have the consistency of sticky hands. It is not the customer's fault if the company delivered goods in a condition other than described and established by prior product. If we wanted that experience, we'd all pledge for Mantic's Kings of War again.

No insult was intended. I apologize if you felt that way. I also certainly didn't mean to imply any blaming of the customer.

What I wanted was information. This thread created a peculiar dilemma for me, wherein I have lots of experience with the material but currently no Kaladrax to get mad scientist with. User inexperience may not be a factor in this case, but it is a factor in many cases. That's not an insult, just a factual existing variable. The faster we can eliminate that, the faster we can move on to figuring it out. That's all. That's when we know there's something bigger going on that needs looking into, and that helps people who have complaints. You start with the simplest and eliminate your way up.

To address spray paint not sticking to Kaladrax: it's unlikely to work well with any Bones. It's the same thing with certain spray primers, they just don't bond with the surface. If it does stick and dry to any Bones, those cases may be the anomaly rather than the rule. This may also be brand-dependant. Spray paint is a gamble.

ETA: Also, the blown-on figure - we should remember the descriptor said they could get it to move by blowing hard on it. I would like to add that I can accomplish the same with Garrick's sword, the skeleton spears, the original zombies, and Lindir. So that may be normal, depending on figure.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

Comparing the stiffness between Kaladrax horn and a skeleton spear is not a good way to judge things. The horn is like 5 times thicker than the spear. The bendablity is going to scale approximately as area cross section so it should be 25 times less flexiable. I compared Kaladrax wing tips to his horns which have pretty similar thickness and the wing tip can be used to bend the horn all around. You can also fell the difference by comparing the mounting stud parts which are similar sizes between the wings and the tail spike. The tail spike you can compress while the wing studs not so much. One feels like an eraser the other the pencil.

The figure mentioned as being blown-on was man-sized (one of the dark elves) and that blowing on her could move the extremities. That's what I'm comparing the skeletons to.

Edit to add:

Hey, you remember when pocketcthulhu was doing his boiling demo, and mentioned the teifling sorceress's staff wouldn't set?

That might be the first report of more rubbery Bonesium.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

It's pretty well accepted at this point that parts of Kaladrax are softer than the rest of him, and indeed comparatively softer than most Bones.

The question now, as I see it, is what is the problem? And how do those with a problem want to see it remedied?

Is it that the parts are simply soft?

Is it that the parts won't hold shape?

Is it that the parts won't hold paint?

I think there's strong evidence that the second two aren't true.

And the first is more of a personal perception issue.

In our household we have a combined 8 years of plastics manufacturing experience so we're going off that knowledge.

Sometimes, depending on how the mould is made, meaning how the part is put into the mould, (okay, not sure how to explain what I mean without using my hands to be the example...) a softer plastic is necessary in order to get the part out of the mould.

I would imagine that C's tentacles would have to be made out of a much softer, almost rubbery, plastic in order to pull them out of the mould. I have looked at that figure a lot and can't see any easy horizontal line that goes across all the tentacles evenly. One of the Mythos Monsters is the same way as is Kaly's head. There's pretty much no way to get a part out of a mould unless it is either split on a horizontal line across it's longest points or made out of an almost rubber material because the material will be essentially poured into a tunnel of whatever shape and then have to be pulled out of the tunnel. Unless the parts in the tunnel are perfectly straight and uniform down the length of them they are going to have to give a bit (or a lot) in order to be pulled out. Any time you have a piece that goes off the figure's horizontal line you're going to have issues with the moulding process which is why with lead/metal figs you end up with various parts that you have to put together. There's just no way to mould them as one piece so you can get them out of the mould. Does this make sense? I really need to be able to talk with my hands so I can show you what I mean.... LOL

I am guessing that this is why these parts are much softer than other parts- just so they can be pulled out.

• Like 3

My guess as well. I could see it being an issue on Cthulhu and his tentacles as those look really thin, and could bend a lot with normal use. Not so much the Kaladrax thing as I have no plans to wiggle him around by his horns.

The Bones Bethalian's staff was quite bendy and somewhat difficult to paint because of that. I chalked it up to a quality of Bonesium and the reason you're getting an $8 mini for $2.50. I'm glad other people are here being nice, saves me from having to pretend. Be the goat.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2

Well ultimately, regardless of feelings, we all pretty much have the same objective here. To find and isolate problems, find solutions to problems, get everybody happy and enjoying their stuff, and then painting it all and having fun. Really that's all I care about.

Just got mine in the mail this afternoon. I don't know whether I'd call it "Spongey", but there is definitely additional flexibility -and much more than expected- in the first head and tail I inspected. I use the term "additional" because I was able to find bones castings of similar thickness in the KS package that were far more rigid.

I'll open the remaining copies (my friends ordered several) and go through the rest of the bones more carefully tomorrow.

I can't yet say whether the parts are defective yet but I can definitely say there is a consistency problem here.