Sign in to follow this  
ultrasquid

More Ultrasquid's Undead Troops

Hi all! I'm new to this forum, but not to fantasy miniature painting. I don't really know what to say right now so I'll let a couple pieces of my wok speak for themselves:

77002: Orc Archers (Bones)

post-12393-0-00889000-1372899072.jpgpost-12393-0-27335700-1372899138.jpg

02566: Fiona, Female Druid

post-12393-0-31487900-1372899172.jpgpost-12393-0-12321400-1372899186.jpg

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 22

I think I need to learn some better control of my camera. I used to have a scanner that had a focal depth of about a half-inch above the glass, and that was very good for shooting most figures, but newer scanners lose focus on anything that's not in direct contact, so far as I've found.

I think your main problem right is that you don't have enough light. Get a couple more lamps, or just shoot near a window during the day.

The figures themselves look pretty great though; welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the Reaper Forums!! I like the colours you chose for the skin tone on these two. I have a devil of a time getting my photo's right and it's always down to two things. The light and my background. Three lamps, one directly above and two from the side to light the figure. Try to set up the light so there are no part of the mini is in shadow. Use a neutral grey background.

I'm new here too and have found this to be the best Fantasy forum on the interweb.

• Like 1

I think your main problem right is that you don't have enough light. Get a couple more lamps, or just shoot near a window during the day.

The figures themselves look pretty great though; welcome to the forums!

True enough. Those were shot using ambient reflected sunlight and no flash. Fiona has a gloss varnish and I was afraid the glare would be too much if I had more light.

Don't use flash; it'll actually look worse. The trick is to just have lots of consistent light. Several lamps (one straight on, one to one side, and either another lamp or a white piece of paper or cardstock on the other side) will get rid of both shadows and reflections.

You really think these work in the "pulp" category? These aren't the only things I already have painted. Besides, my KS box arrived finally, and I think there might be something in there that fits the subject better.

Right. I wasn't clear on that at first, but since re-reading a few times, yes! Into the open category these go, after shooting some better photos.

Is it considered better form for one to gather all their figure photos in the same thread, or to start a new thread for each batch? I have some more pieces to show and I don't want to be pissing people off by doing it wrong.