Clockwork Dragon Wormgear Wings not Bones

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No other bones that I have have the same texture. The only ones I didn't get where Eldaran, Elf Ranger and There Be Dragons.

I don't think it would be polystyrene, because if it was it would gloop up and curl way more than in the pictures shown. The details would loose detail on the edges and become more smooth. And 2 mins of boiling would probably make it look like a slime or ooze rather than a wing.

After experimenting, I am almost certain that these are made out of ABS plastic and not Vinyl. Even hard PVC such as with plumbing piping, when boiled will either not change at all if made for high temperatures, or attain a softer state, but still be able to be shaped and cooled without any deformity. ABS will deform, may even shrink a little bit, but really can't be shaped well, if at all, and it never has a flexible state.

Frankthedm, I'm sure you have some pathfinder prepainted minis, whose bases are made of ABS. Flick the base of a large sized mini with your finger, and compare the sound to the flicking of wymgear's wings, then compare it to something made of polystyrene, and you should be able to hear the similarities and differences. And then if you feel real plucky you could boil the base of the pathfinder mini for at least 2 minutes and see how it deforms and is not flexible like PVC after boiling.

BTW, I like the fact that the wings are made out of ABS. I think as they are designed it wouldn't have worked well in PVC. Though I do think Reaper needs to post somewhere that you shouldn't boil or otherwise heat excessively Wyrmgear's wings.

That is unless you like how Gus's wings turned out and are ok that they can't be shaped back to their original position.

Halber

Edited by Halberkill

There appears to be three different types or at least densities of Bones plastic. The softest is like the very end of Kala's tail and his head. This is also found in the small figures. It's very bendy. The middle hardness is the type found in the larger figures like Nethy and Kala's body. The clockwork is the only one I had that was the really hard stuff. It feels more brittle and even breakable. Most Bones you feel you could bend in half and they won't break. I won't want to try it, but bending one of Wormgear's wings makes me feel like it would snap.

Thanks for all the advice on his reaction to boiling. I was afraid to try it and I see I was wise not it.

Not sure where the conclusion of ABS comes from...ABS can and is thermoformed on a daily basis, both on the industrial scale to make things like dash boards and bumpers and the hobby scale to make LARP armor and cosplay gear. It really takes heating and forming in much the same way as other thermo plastics like PVC and polystyrene.

Differences in surface texture are releated to the finish of the mold more than the material. Highly polished molds result in highly polished surfaces (see plumping PVC). Less refined molds and dies result in a somewhat rougher surface. Casting temperature of the plastic will also impact this as well. Higher temperatures generally produce a glassy finish as the plastic pulls tight against itself during cooling. The sound will vary as well due to the specific density of the plastic mix...not the material. You can get very dense and hard polystyrene (CD jewel cases), very light PVC (cellular PVC panels), rubbery ABS (as found in certain industrial hoses) and even other like polyurethane resins and acrylics can be formulated differently as well. Each plastic with comparable physical properies gives off the same sound when thumped.

It is nearly impossible to identify which is which without a bit of lab work. Either chemical reaction tests, or something like a GC mass spec. The two plastics are very comparable though in terms of chemical resistance though, so many of the easier home tests dont work well.

For the heating and bending side of things...harder plastics tend to be more heat resistant. Most likely you just didnt get hot enough, and it is quite possible that hot water will never get hot enough (limited by the boiling temperature as it is).

Not sure where the conclusion of ABS comes from...ABS can and is thermoformed on a daily basis, both on the industrial scale to make things like dash boards and bumpers and the hobby scale to make LARP armor and cosplay gear. It really takes heating and forming in much the same way as other thermo plastics like PVC and polystyrene.

ABS can be thermoformed, as it is specifically made to do so, but it is usually for higher temperature/pressure molds as well as for certain 3D printers. Most cosplay thermoforming is melting and warping the plastic overtop of a positive mold. You couldn't easily do that with PVC as it's melting point ranges from 900 deg F and higher.

The sound can determine both the density as well as the material. They do not give off the same sound at all.

I came to the conclusion of ABS from my general knowledge and comparing other things that are made out of ABS, LEGOs, some Action Figure bodies, recyclables, pathfinder minis bases, 3D printer printing material, etc. with the wings, as well as hard PVC from plumbing pipes meant for high temperatures. I know that you can make various things seem to have the consistency of other things, but there are ways to tell, from experience or even knowing the chemical structure of the basic formula. PVC has long chains of alternating single and triple carbon bonds which gives it elasticity from the single bonds an strength from the triple, as well as the length of the chains. PVC also has a range of melting points and softening points that are known. But it's most telling difference is PVC becomes more elastic when heated. These wings did not, they became flimsy like PVC but warped unlike PVC, and could not be stretched as PVC would. I'm not sure of the chemical makeup of ABS, but I know generally it is not very elastic, flexible sometimes as in the garden hose, but not elastic.

Also from doing home casting, I am familiar with various types of resin, and there is a bunch of descriptors such as shore, strength, density, hardness and elasticity that allow you to at least get a guess as to what plastic has been used, and the ranges that certain plastics can have for each formula. So yes, you are right that unless you do a mass spec, you can't know for certain, but there are many other test for determining the makeup of things. A chemist could even check it's density with it's volume using molarity to at least get an idea of it's basic atomic mix with nothing more than an accurate scale and a measured container with water, which is how chemists did it before they had mass spectrometers.

That said, I could be wrong, but I would bet my left pinky that the wings are at least not PVC.

Halber

Edited by Halberkill

The wings don't seem any different than the schedule 40 white PVC plumbing fittings and pipe I'm used to. They just haven't used what ever chemical magic softeners they use on the regular minis. Certain types of PVC are prone to warping (generally the darker colours, but it can happen with white pvc) - you see this when pvc pipes are left out in the summer sun for too long on bad racking.

ABS can also be a pain to paint if you don't sand it or use a primer.

:) Spot testing with some oatey pvc solvent and abs solvent would be simpler than a mass spectometer. IIRC PVC solvent will chew right through ABS and ABS solvent won't do much to PVC.

Edited by czak