Gaming gear/props at your table

Shogun

The marker route is handy. Served us well for more than 20 years. But after spending all day with the Terraclips, I'm never going back.

"The party steps through the glimmering pool of marker on the hex board and comes out the other side . . . into a strange world of squares . . . walls . . . stairs. You have entered . . . The Third Dimension."

*creepy theramin music*

This will do:

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will confess to dressing more cyberpunk when playing Shadowrun. But it's not a costume.

It's a way of life!

Weeell, yes. I like being able to pull stuff out of my wardrobe and have it work as a pirate outfit or something. So the contents of my closet are a little eccentric, maybe.

• Like 4

I went Terraclips so I could avoid the print n' play stuff. Too much pain in the butt for my tastes, so I'm delighted this stuff worked out.

we ordered a bunch of stuff from the dwarven forge kickstarter, but for out of doors maps and stuff it's still grids. Though i am looking for printable maps I can use for various out of doors settings

I plan to use zuzzy mats. Add a couple of pre-made woodland scenics tree packs (if you decide to let conifers stand in for all trees you can get a lot of trees half cheap), make some river and road templates, and then use Andy's hill-making method in the Craft section . . . set for life. You'll have to use inch scale measured, but I haven't found a cheaper and easier route for versatile, dynamic terrain so far.

• Like 2

One of our kids was given a dinosaur playset ages ago, the kind with plastic palm trees and knobbly brown stackable terrain with stepped flat areas big enough to accommodate four inch dinosaurs. We called the terrain "meat loaf mountains" because that's kind of what they look like. It has been a *fabulous* resource over the years.

I'm pretty minimalist when it comes to props. Minis, a 1" grid flip mat, and few trees and some foam terrain are about as much as I go. I like to encourage the people playing to image the situation, that way they get more out of it, because they see it how they want.

I got all kinds of carp.

I have found the old Mage Knight dungeon scenery packs to be of considerable use, and over the years, I've gathered a variety of props and items I use, in addition to my figure collection.

I also like maps that take dry erase markers well...

@fanguad that sounds amazing , how's the t.v working out? do u cover it or anything?

I like it (I think my players are fairly meh on the topic), since it cuts down prep time quite a bit and lets me reveal as I go. I'm still experimenting with the best way to cover the screen. I put a tablecloth over it when not in use to keep dust off, and during play I've experimented with 1/4 plexiglass (expensive, can't get the right size) and Seran wrap (cheap, leaves bubbles). The plexiglass I put on little feet so that it doesn't *all* touch the screen. I'm a bit worried about heat dissipation if I put too much stuff on the screen, and scratching the screen from direct contact with the plexiglass.

Edited by fanguad
  • Like 1

We have a square grid, some bendy dungeon walls, not enough minis, a few trees, and a couple hills. The closest anyone has ever come to dressing up is the couple times my hubby wore the shoulder dragon I got him for Christmas a few years ago. Sadly the shoulder dragon sits alone on the shelf.

I'm probably the only one who could get away with wearing something as cute as those costumes in our group. I'd get tickled for it, but I get tickled anyway. And it would sooooooo be worth it! :ph34r:

As my gaming table currently just has to cater for me and Elder Signs I don't have much need for props but I do like to play at night by lamp light with a 10 hour track of distant thunder and a track of a grandfather clock striking midnight for when it hits midnight in game.

This proves that I am both dedicated and very lonely.

I guess I might wear a onsie if the game was at my house and it was particularly cold.

I don't run games, so I typically play with whatever the host/DM plops on the table. Though I will say some of my most fond memories are of High School era 2nd ed AD&D when we used nothing... not even a table. We'd lounge around and toss dice on any flat surface that wasn't covered in chips and soda. We were all minis painters/collectors, but it never occurred to us to use our minis in an RPG. Not enough imagination, or too much... I'm not sure which.

I got all kinds of carp.

I've always wanted a koi pond. Not sure how I'd use them in an RPG though.

• Like 2

I did an elaborate 'haunted inn' bit one night that included a roaring fire (via youtube and played on my TV), special effects lighting, and a well timed "Hotel California" being played by the band in the corner (my computer). In one scene I produced a three-barreled pirate pistol that startled one of my players who wasn't expecting to see an actual firearm. I tried to get my step-daughter to dress up and play the haunted hostess but she chickened out on me.