Sign in to follow this  
bojesphob

First painted bones

I had waited until I actually got my pledge before attempting to paint up a Bones mini. Now that I have them, I've tested on a couple. I don't know if I like how the eye monster turned out, but the other two seem to have turned out ok. I think I need to add a little bit of white lining to the symbols on the parchment to make them stand out a little more...

FirstBonesPainted.jpg

Comments welcome. Sorry for the bluriness of the eye monster and the warrior, I'm still trying to tweak my camera's functions.

• Like 20

What effect? Do you mean the blade, or the base connected to the handle? If you mean the base part, that was Screaming Bell GW metallic, washed with with GW Agrax Earthshade wash, old GW Dwarf Bronze to highlight, and then a wash of the darker green GW wash (Coelia Greenshade I think it was).

I like them all! Bones are friggen amazing, can't wait for mine.

When I do small script or stuff like that I usually first rough it out with black, then draw it finer with white inside, followed by coloration (if I want any). Makes it stand out really well, and doesn't matter if you mess up a few spots as it still looks good.

A few new completed minis.

First is the wraith that I posted in the "how are you going to handle painting the green/red minis" thread:

Wraith5.jpg

Then, the griffon (my favorite to paint so far!):

Griffon.jpg

And the Large Fire Elemental... Not sure if I like how it turned out. It reminds me of fire, but somehow I'm not sure if the white really went into the recesses as well as the ink did for the green ones.

LargeFireElemental.jpg

• Like 13

Do the clear figures have a smooth surface. It seems like there's no transition from the orange to the White wash which leads me to believe the translucent figures don't have as much tooth as the regular bones figures.

Do the clear figures have a smooth surface. It seems like there's no transition from the orange to the White wash which leads me to believe the translucent figures don't have as much tooth as the regular bones figures.

No, definitely not. The only smooth surface on the large elemental is the face area (if you can call it a face). But, I should explain that I didn't want to lose the transparency of the mini in process of painting it, that's why there isn't a smooth transition between the white in the lower levels, and the drybrused yellow, then orange that you see. I had thought about just priming it white, then painting up, but I have been trying to decide if I want to put a flickering LED into it LOL and if it was fully painted, you wouldn't be able to see the light.

I'm almost finished with my first minor conversion with Bones. I took the Trista (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/previews/sku-down/77094), removed her shield, and took the shield from Almaran (http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/previews/a-z/77058) and put it on her. Even though her armor has the wolf iconography, I think that shield goes REALLY well with her mini! I've got a few minor touchups to do on her, and she's done. I also painted up the spirit wall with the skeletons in it, so I'll post those when I get a chance to take pictures :)

Maybe I should have just called this "my running painted bones" thread LOL

Anyhow, a few more that I've gotten finished recently :)

Trista:

TristaFront.jpg

TristaBack.jpg

TristaSide.jpg

The Spirit Wall (or whatever they call it LOL) - I saw someone had painted the skeletons in the wall, so I did the same:

SpiritWallFront.jpg

SpiritWallBack.jpg

And then the lizard warrior:

Lizardmanfront.jpgLizardmanback.jpg

• Like 8

I love the spirit wall!!!! Would you mind listing colors used and the procedure you used? It really is stunning!

The process for the transparent green is in this post:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50213-thoughts-on-painting-the-red-green-figures/?p=738962

As to the rest, I'll take a look when I get home from work, as I don't remember the names of the paints I used specifically, but I do remember what colors (does that even make sense? LOL).