Sign in to follow this  
Yukon Cornelius

Any news about the future of Legendary Encounters?

Now that the Bones are (mostly) delievered, I was wondering if there's any news to be had about the future of the LE line. I'm hoping for a new Kickstarter to get all the Bones into the LE line, but almost any news would be good news.

I think that you may not have as much luck there as you would think.

One of the reasons for the kickstarter was to be able to buy a plastic injection machine to make bones. The initial production run obviously had to be done in China (something like 14 machines used to make the kickstarter and initial order run), but with the idea that they would be able to keep up with demand using the machine in Texas.

This will conflict with needing to have the LE miniatures painted in China (and likely produced there). It would likely be cost prohibitive to have them painted in the US.

But then again, I could be totally wrong and Reaper will be expanding the LE line.

I'd like to see Reaper expand the LE line. I wouldn't be buying them, but there's always room for good quality PPMs.

China might switch to LE production as Bones migrates. Full Bones migration may take some time, the machines and molds are in situ in China... so long as LE makes money I could see it.

Edit - this assumes Bones molds can be dual-use for LE. Not totally sure on that but I think they are.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

I think that you may not have as much luck there as you would think.

One of the reasons for the kickstarter was to be able to buy a plastic injection machine to make bones. The initial production run obviously had to be done in China (something like 14 machines used to make the kickstarter and initial order run), but with the idea that they would be able to keep up with demand using the machine in Texas.

This will conflict with needing to have the LE miniatures painted in China (and likely produced there). It would likely be cost prohibitive to have them painted in the US.

But then again, I could be totally wrong and Reaper will be expanding the LE line.

Yeah, I have to admit I was a little conflicted when I heard that they were moving production stateside. I'm all for made-in-the-usa, but half the reason I supported the Bones KS was in hopes of making more sculpts available for the LE line. Though I suppose it's still possible to ship the molds to China for LE production and have them returned for more Bones production in the US. It might even be that the figs would be sculpted here and shipped to China for painting. Or maybe they could be painted in the US without too much of a price hike.

Wishful thinking? Yep, it's the best kind. :-)

I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for a "Paint All the Bones" Kickstarter.

Yeah, I have to admit I was a little conflicted when I heard that they were moving production stateside. I'm all for made-in-the-usa, but half the reason I supported the Bones KS was in hopes of making more sculpts available for the LE line. Though I suppose it's still possible to ship the molds to China for LE production and have them returned for more Bones production in the US. It might even be that the figs would be sculpted here and shipped to China for painting. Or maybe they could be painted in the US without too much of a price hike.

Wishful thinking? Yep, it's the best kind. :-)

I'm still going to keep my fingers crossed for a "Paint All the Bones" Kickstarter.

Currently the molds are in China, with at least one plate on each model that says "made in China" on it.

It may be possible that they trade the molds back and forth for production runs, as Reaper will need to get a new bottom plate that says "made in USA" made for them, if not a full new mold. But would you risk items that cost thousands of dollars to several trips? Even losing one would be bad.

I am not sure of the economic viability of storing a large number of prepainted miniatures is, as I suspect that to reduce the price per unit, they would have to order a lot of them, and then store them somewhere (which also costs money).

I was happy that Reaper was/is bringing production to their Texas facility due to their reasons for doing so: Having better control of the production process (i.e. able to pour what is in demand today, and not having to forecast what may be in demand in 6 to 12 months down the road) and no incoming shipping or customs delays.

Shakes his head - a lot of words to say that I don't know what Reaper will be doing :wow: . They haven't discontinued the LE line (but that may be because they want to sell off the remain stock :devil: - see, I can't help myself). And again, I would gladly be proven wrong in my assumption that the LE line will not grow much and may disappear in the near future.

LE is safe so long as it makes money. P-65 only went extinct because Bones displaced its mission.

Yeah, but many people, even a lot of people on this very board, have no idea that LE even exists.

I buy at least one of every version of LE released, but I'm apparently weird like that, even amongst fans of Pre-painted.

Halber

We'll have to let the kickstarter dust settle and see what happens. I don't have any LE myself, but from what I can tell it seems to be a solid performer. I'd expect to see more of it, and maybe some of the new Bones go LE if the molds are dual-use. The extra capacity in China seems like it would be an asset, and if the plastic molds can go either/or then LE might make a good way to keep those molds busy in China so they're ready if needed for more Bones.

All of which, of course, is just guesses pulled out of my butt.

I believe that LE is targeted towards gamers, not hobbyist. In theory the LE line is perfectly suited to be a huge asset to Reaper. If you look at the number of RPG gamers that want nice minis but aren't interested in painting, it's a huge market. I would have to say that maybe 1/5 of RPG players are willing to paint minis. It's that other 4/5 of the market that LE is aimed at. The only real problem with that line is that what you really need in the line for that niche is heroes. Most of that market is looking for a mini to represent their PC, not a minitour, or skeletons. If they plan to add even half of the hero Bones figures to the LE line, they would have a huge success. 'cuse lots of gamers are lazy or intimidated by painting.

• Like 1

Agreed. I see the line-up working nicely like so:

Gamer Tier

- Legendary Encounters pre-paints. No fuss, no muss.

- Bones. Still better suited to gaming. Inexpensive, can be quickly painted

- Metals. Fine detail, costs extra. For when you really get the painting bug.

Hobby Tier

That's a winning team, with Bones as the bridge.

• Like 1

I believe that LE is targeted towards gamers, not hobbyist. In theory the LE line is perfectly suited to be a huge asset to Reaper. If you look at the number of RPG gamers that want nice minis but aren't interested in painting, it's a huge market. I would have to say that maybe 1/5 of RPG players are willing to paint minis. It's that other 4/5 of the market that LE is aimed at. The only real problem with that line is that what you really need in the line for that niche is heroes. Most of that market is looking for a mini to represent their PC, not a minitour, or skeletons. If they plan to add even half of the hero Bones figures to the LE line, they would have a huge success. 'cuse lots of gamers are lazy or intimidated by painting.

Actually, coming from the PPM boards which I inhabit, they are more into the LE line for getting gobs of monsters that they don't have to worry about painting. They typically do the PC's in metal and paint them because they will last longer than one encounter. Painting a horde of goblins that will be effective for only one encounter before you level out of their challenge range is not worth it for most game masters.

And PPM is only maybe 2/5 of the RPG market, There are a lot of gamers that don't even use miniatures, or use pogs or pawns.

Halber