Questions For Anne?

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paper facemasks are useless and annoying to boot; the bigger masks might look intimidating but they actually work, AND if you're careful you can find one that fits really comfortably. A carbon filter ought to be overkill and should last a long time BUT they also degrade over time as they absorb moisture, so I would absolutely say that if you've had one set of filters in for a year, and they're carbon filters, GET NEW ONES. The pros at your hardware or paint store should be able to advise on the working life of the filters.

• Like 2

I think it's something like x # of months or weeks once they've been opened and exposed to air?

I'll have to look at mine, sometime. I don't airbrush, I have one around from doing stuff at home.

I do know that if you have facial hair, you need to vaseline it where the mask fits, or you won't be getting a proper seal. Something else to keep in mind.

• Like 1

A good particulates and organics filter will dramatically reduce the reaction that most people get from breathing around paint. They do quite a good job of excluding most problematic chemicals and particulates from the air you breathe. This should not be taken as medical advice, though; talk to your doctor for that.

They will, of course, do nothing about skin contact or exposure.

• Like 2

I do know that house paint measures VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and some brands have paint that off-gasses less than older types.  I don't get headaches from the new formulas, but I did from the older ones.  I don't even notice Reaper MSPs having a scent, but this is also likely because the amount of wet paint is so minimal.  (Drops instead of paint trays.) 

It would be nice if hobby paints offered similar info, especially the craft paints used for painting larger projects. 

• Like 1