• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Qc6SSdm.jpg

F4Q02vW.jpg

9uLR1t4.jpg

d2nG5yR.jpg

Yet another 1:56 scale practice head for the 1:56 practice head throne.

Note that it’s a little bit oversized because I was trying to exaggerate some features which turned out— exaggerated.

I think I might try for this guy again and push the cartoony style I'm aiming for even more; maybe try to keep it a little bit closer to the true-scale.

• Like 6

That guy's mustache is awesome! :D

It's so much fun to see all of your practice heads together, especially when I realize just how tiny they are. It reminds me of my sister, who's an artist, and how she has pages and pages of nothing but eyes or hands, etc. 

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

This is really awesome! I guess the main question would be how one gets started doing this. Are there certain resources you'd recommend? I'd imaging one could just wade on in there, but I'm sure there's some sort of basic system to follow. Should we start with a larger scale sculpting book then move down once we have the basics?

That guy's mustache is awesome! :D

It's so much fun to see all of your practice heads together, especially when I realize just how tiny they are. It reminds me of my sister, who's an artist, and how she has pages and pages of nothing but eyes or hands, etc. 

Huzzah!

Thanks OB. Practice makes perfect! That is, it makes better than before, at least.

This is really awesome! I guess the main question would be how one gets started doing this. Are there certain resources you'd recommend? I'd imaging one could just wade on in there, but I'm sure there's some sort of basic system to follow. Should we start with a larger scale sculpting book then move down once we have the basics?

Gee, that's quite a wide question to ask.

What background do you have? Drawing? sculpting?

What goal do you want to reach? Personal work? Artistic? Commercial? Hobby?

For a general sort of advice I recommend getting materials: your choice of putty/polymer clay (Green Stuff, ProCreate, FIMO, Beesputty, etc. etc.) and a set of cheapo chinese sculpting tools (AKA wax carvers- I still use a really cheap one I bought ten years ago), some wire and something to use as a base.

Start with an armature (you can plan ahead with a sketch, I print out true to scale human form to measure against with a caliper), that is a bit of wire to hold up your sculpture. Add mass by going from the general to the specific. Lubricate your tools (I use water almost exclusively- I keep a small jar and moisten my tool periodically).

Then work.

I think it's best to both work in the scale you want things to be in and to try making things both bigger and smaller to get a better grasp of what you're dealing with. When you work bigger you have to understand the shapes better- to be specific; when you work smaller you understand how things make an impression in a more graphical sense.

You can easily find online resources. I think minisculpture.co.uk has a bunch of stuff in their resources forum. Don't get bogged down by techniques, theories, forumula and tools.

It's the sculptor that does the work, not the tool and not the theory. It's good to learn, sure, just don't let it paralyze you.

In the end, experience is the best teacher. Directed experience, purposeful experience, more so. So, working and doing is a very good way to start.

Ask for advice and info and feedback, it helps quite a lot.

Also, enjoy what you're doing. Do what's interesting to you and you're bound to be more engaged.

Don't be shy to ask me more questions if you have. If you can answer some of the earlier questions and add your own info maybe I can give some advice. In the end I'm somewhat of a novice myself so take what I write with a grain of salt.

• Like 3

Coolness! I have most of that stuff and I've done a few things (tree, bamboo, a deformed frog) but was just curious as to how to progress. I'll do some looking around and go from there, and I'm sure I'll be around to bug you and the other sculptors on this forum.

• Like 1

(quick off-topic observation)

Kharsin, your avatar makes me so very very happy. Rock on, Quest for Glory 1. Rock on.  ::D:

(now back to your regularly scheduled thread)

Huzzah!

Yes that was my first ever computer game! It came as a combo pack I got when we bought our first computer: a Tandy 1000 with a 3.5" disk drive and 640K of memory. I remember being upset because I wanted "King's Quest" as I'd seen it in stores, but never looked back once I set foot inside the town of Spielburg. You may want to check out the disaster that is my "Hero of Spielburg" WIP….  I'm going to place another order soon so no regrets…  :upside:

• Like 1

Hellbeard here is a fine example of focused self-directed learning, I'd just do whatever he's doing :D

Most amazingly, he listens when I say HEY YOU! YOU ARE ARTING WRONG!*

Clearly, anyone who pays heed to my opinions is to be numbered amongst the wise ;)

Anyway, these studies in tiny heads are great! Not many seem very feminine though? Certainly not so as to match the really delightfully cartoonish masculinity of THAT MOUSTACHE.

*and politely rebuffs me when I'm wrong, and he is arting exactly as he means to...

• Like 2

I'm sorry I neglected to thank you folks for such nice words! 

Haven't visited the thread in a while but I thought you guys might like to see these. The lighting isn't very good so I'll take some better shots with sunlight when I have the chance.

It's a painted version of the Gnome Necromancer that I sculpted. I had some test casts made of which he was one. 

fwxvzXy.jpg

OqE03qV.jpg

I hope to post more stuff sooner than before.

• Like 5

Nice work! Keep at it! I especially like how the staff and the hat came out. I think you need to add some of that sharp and stylish visual look to the fabric of pants, shirts, etc, so that your little dudes just bristle character to match their craggy little faces! The backpack and kit are really good too.

Huzzah! How cool to see him painted up! :D Nice job on the OSL, and congrats on getting some test casts done!  ^_^

Huzzah!

Thanks.I hope to do more and have a production line later on (like, in 6months to a year).

Nice work! Keep at it! I especially like how the staff and the hat came out. I think you need to add some of that sharp and stylish visual look to the fabric of pants, shirts, etc, so that your little dudes just bristle character to match their craggy little faces! The backpack and kit are really good too.

Thank you. Good insight! I'll keep it in my mind when I work.

Here's some better lit photos:

Cgq6XMB.jpg

GtSlKaY.jpg

zbVIr5V.jpg

cw9jU6f.jpg

dxAvh6k.jpg

NDtVvKr.jpg

• Like 5