• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some improvements:          

Thanks, friends!    Here's another practice head.        

Thanks! They don't blink but they do talk to me and tell which people from my friends and relatives have been replaced by aliens.

I agree, he looks MUCH better from the front now! The profile lost a tiny bit of intensity, I think, but it looks a LOT more realistic now. :)

The only thing that's bothering me is his teeth. I can't quite put my finger on what it is, though. It's like they're just a little too prominent, or maybe just his canines are a tiny bit too big, or something. Sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful. :unsure:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thank you. Yeah I agree. I'll look into it.

May I ask you what materials you use? Are the grey putty grey stuff, or sculpey firm?

Sure! I'm using KraftMark ProCreate. It's pretty neat.

I bought mine from their website:

http://www.kraftmark.biz/kraft.procreate.html

From Oneboot's comment, I think the canines look... blunt?

Hmm... I think I get your "point" ;)

I'll see what I can do, they're very very small, mind you. When I rolled the putty for placing it almost got lost in the creases of my fingerprints.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's one of the problems with people only getting to see up-close photos of minis, and not the thing in real life. One tends to lose a sense of perspective and forget just how tiny some of these details can be! Just for fun, I took a picture of a mini I'd finished painting next to a US penny, and my brain sort of locked up and had a hard time reconciling the size comparison between the two. ^_^

He really is looking fantastic so far, and it's so cool that he's riding his bat-mount standing up! :D

I don't recall, have you been sculpting these for a commission, or just for fun? Any idea if they'll ever be available as figures for retail?

Edit to add: I forgot to mention, the rest of him is spot-on! You have such a knack for clothes, it's almost uncanny how realistic his pants look. :D

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot

Yeah, that's one of the problems with people only getting to see up-close photos of minis, and not the thing in real life. One tends to lose a sense of perspective and forget just how tiny some of these details can be! Just for fun, I took a picture of a mini I'd finished painting next to a US penny, and my brain sort of locked up and had a hard time reconciling the size comparison between the two. ^_^

He really is looking fantastic so far, and it's so cool that he's riding his bat-mount standing up! :D

I don't recall, have you been sculpting these for a commission, or just for fun? Any idea if they'll ever be available as figures for retail?

Edit to add: I forgot to mention, the rest of him is spot-on! You have such a knack for clothes, it's almost uncanny how realistic his pants look. :D

Huzzah!

That is the challenge and beauty of miniatures, though, isn't it? At least, one of them.

I'm sculpting for practice, experience and maybe for some future back catalogue of sculpts to have on hand. I am currently inquiring into the reproduction process so it is a remote possibility some may be available. You'll hear about it here if it do. :)

Thank you for the compliment about the clothes. I do chide myself for not taking in more references when I work, though, because they will probably improve it more. Still, after reading your comment I had a good look at the pants and they really do look very nice. It's good to take note of the progress and positive lessons learned, or experience, as well as the points of emphasis for improvement.

• Like 2

Thank you for the compliment about the clothes. I do chide myself for not taking in more references when I work, though, because they will probably improve it more. Still, after reading your comment I had a good look at the pants and they really do look very nice. It's good to take note of the progress and positive lessons learned, or experience, as well as the points of emphasis for improvement.

Exactly! I see it like scaling a mountain; it's hard to do anything but focus on putting one foot in front of the other, and seeing how far you have left to go, until you look back and see just how high you've gotten already. :) And you have already climbed very high indeed!

I've learned from my talented artistic sister that the three hardest things in art are faces, hands, and clothes. It can be difficult to give the impression of cloth draped or stretched over irregular, organic shapes such as are found on the human body, and having done several years of ceramics myself, I'd say that goes double for sculpting. And faces are hard because they are the first place we look when we look at people, even if they're only little sculpted people. :) Everyone's seen a lot of faces in their lives, so I think we tend to have an innate sense of what a face should look like, which I think is why it's so hard to get it right. Same thing with hands, though I think that's to a lesser degree.

Anyways, sorry to wax philosophical there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that to do what you're doing, as hard as it is, and to do it as well as you do, is an incredible accomplishment. :D

Huzzah!

Since I've chided you relentlessly about posing AND cloth, I should really say that both are rock-solid on this mini so far. Another difficulty of the medium is you have to exaggerate things, but not too much, and damned if I personally could tell you where that line is.

Here's a few specifics, remembering that I am not half the artist you are, but I am a critical, cynical bastard and I have seen a LOT of minis:

So: the pull of cloth across the front of his pants looks good. The creasing in towards his knees at the back looks good. The "tuck" of the pants from the straps and into his boots is very believable and gives the right... impression, I guess, of the cloth being its own thing with its own dynamic. It looks like he's loosened it up for freedom of movement.

Belt loops, belt buckle, boot seams and laces all present and believable, I really like that.

Posing: he looks poised, balanced against a slope, or shifting his weight. There's movement in his pose, I can't wait to see him balanced on a bat! You've put an appropriate twist into his torso and for my money that's a major step in making your characters look like they're alive; you don't start, carry though, or end almost any natural movement in a dead-square stance. (It occurs to me that spinal curvature is one of those things people expect to see even though strictly speaking, it's probably exaggerated for the scale.)

All-in-all he looks alive, moving, and his clothing looks like it's part of that same moving world.

Also, he has a butt.

:P

• Like 1

Exactly! I see it like scaling a mountain; it's hard to do anything but focus on putting one foot in front of the other, and seeing how far you have left to go, until you look back and see just how high you've gotten already. :) And you have already climbed very high indeed!

I've learned from my talented artistic sister that the three hardest things in art are faces, hands, and clothes. It can be difficult to give the impression of cloth draped or stretched over irregular, organic shapes such as are found on the human body, and having done several years of ceramics myself, I'd say that goes double for sculpting. And faces are hard because they are the first place we look when we look at people, even if they're only little sculpted people. :) Everyone's seen a lot of faces in their lives, so I think we tend to have an innate sense of what a face should look like, which I think is why it's so hard to get it right. Same thing with hands, though I think that's to a lesser degree.

Anyways, sorry to wax philosophical there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that to do what you're doing, as hard as it is, and to do it as well as you do, is an incredible accomplishment. :D

Huzzah!

Thanks OneBoot. Yeah, that's a good metaphor. I almost don't remember why I'm doing it but something compels me to keep going. Possibly because I think it's awesome. Or maybe it was something else? I think it's that I want to be able to create my own game art. I go on philosophical tangents all the time so no need for apologies. ;)

Maybe it's like the mountain metaphor: because it's there. In the sense that it's a huge challenge that I want to conquer, or contend with. Although, soberly, the next level to climb to will always be there.

Since I've chided you relentlessly about posing AND cloth, I should really say that both are rock-solid on this mini so far. Another difficulty of the medium is you have to exaggerate things, but not too much, and damned if I personally could tell you where that line is.

Here's a few specifics, remembering that I am not half the artist you are, but I am a critical, cynical bastard and I have seen a LOT of minis:

So: the pull of cloth across the front of his pants looks good. The creasing in towards his knees at the back looks good. The "tuck" of the pants from the straps and into his boots is very believable and gives the right... impression, I guess, of the cloth being its own thing with its own dynamic. It looks like he's loosened it up for freedom of movement.

Belt loops, belt buckle, boot seams and laces all present and believable, I really like that.

Posing: he looks poised, balanced against a slope, or shifting his weight. There's movement in his pose, I can't wait to see him balanced on a bat! You've put an appropriate twist into his torso and for my money that's a major step in making your characters look like they're alive; you don't start, carry though, or end almost any natural movement in a dead-square stance. (It occurs to me that spinal curvature is one of those things people expect to see even though strictly speaking, it's probably exaggerated for the scale.)

All-in-all he looks alive, moving, and his clothing looks like it's part of that same moving world.

Also, he has a butt.

:P

Hmmm, wow! So thoughtful. I have kept in mind the comments and feedback as I was working as well as my own lessons and conclusions. Thanks for the analysis, it'll help me see better and understand the sculpting.

Thanks guys!

Here's a small update:

Slow progress update. Hands are hard.

GKOEuz4.jpg

ZLb1RjK.jpg

pQSbEeo.jpg

1k6mvMJ.jpg

yDv7ISO.jpg

• Like 2

I like the windswept look on his hair, he really looks like he is fighting against the wind.

For the hand armature, do you have a separate piece of wire in each of his fingers? I never thought of doing it this way, but it seems like it a really good idea for hands that aren't holding on to something.

I like the windswept look on his hair, he really looks like he is fighting against the wind.

For the hand armature, do you have a separate piece of wire in each of his fingers? I never thought of doing it this way, but it seems like it a really good idea for hands that aren't holding on to something.

Thanks! I was inspired by the Twilight vampire guy. :D

It does have a separate wire for each finger. I used some brass filament from an electrical wire I stripped (after disconnecting it from the mains). I give it a little twist and fix it with a tiny bit of GS. After that cures just pose and cut to length the fingers. I haven't by any means perfected it but it shows promise.

I'm just sculpting vampires and stuff.

YwqXJdy.jpg

VpoqWdo.jpg

kN89Kgf.jpg

xysiSEE.jpg

mSWBV6p.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks! I was inspired by the Twilight vampire guy. :D

Then this is officially my favourite thing to come out of the twilight series :).

I'm totally digging the giant bat. The big eyes and fur look like they would be a lot of fun to paint.

• Like 1

The bat head looks amaaaaaaaaaazing!! :D My only nit-picky criticism would be the teeth (sorry, I really don't have a thing about teeth, it's just what I noticed). They look too big for the skull/jaw, though the angle the second picture was taken from may be making it look that way. The eyes are spot=on, and I'm sure will look super-duper cool once painted!

I'm LOVING the progress you've made on the bat-rider!!! You've totally captured the feeling of them being wind-blown at high speeds somehow (I can't figure out how, but I'm still totally getting that vibe from it :) ). The hand looks very good as well!

It's so exciting seeing this piece come together, keep going! You can do it! :D

Huzzah!

• Like 2

The bat head looks amaaaaaaaaaazing!! :D My only nit-picky criticism would be the teeth (sorry, I really don't have a thing about teeth, it's just what I noticed). They look too big for the skull/jaw, though the angle the second picture was taken from may be making it look that way.

He does look just a little bit bucktoothed. I think that would be easily solved by extending the upper lip downward. Or maybe sharpening the teeth a little so that they aren't butting up against each other.

• Like 1

Grab some reference photos of canine and feline predators and look at the teeth. The front teeth, incisors, are in a fairly straight row, and less prominent. The fangs are pronounced, and set outwards of the incisors. Running your finger across the front of this guys teeth, there should bumps for both fangs. Looking at this he has just a rounded row of big front teeth, and that's going to suggest a horse rather than a lethal predator. Then, looking at a wolf for example, the rear teeth should be in straight lines, and less prominent than the fangs. Here's some predators... and a fruitbat :) But his teeth are savage! Savage I tell you!

wolf_snarl.jpgmendelson-co-2.jpg5002498.JPG

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 2