Lot's of replies! I'm very flattered. Thank you, friends.

Thanks! I was inspired by the Twilight vampire guy. :D

Then this is officially my favourite thing to come out of the twilight series :).

I'm totally digging the giant bat. The big eyes and fur look like they would be a lot of fun to paint.

I hope the fur does lend itself well to painting. I don't know if it's possible at all to portray thin fuzzy fur like bats have. The medium is almost compelling a strand/lock kind of texture. There probably is some way to do finer fur to be found.

The bat head looks amaaaaaaaaaazing!! :D My only nit-picky criticism would be the teeth (sorry, I really don't have a thing about teeth, it's just what I noticed). They look too big for the skull/jaw, though the angle the second picture was taken from may be making it look that way. The eyes are spot=on, and I'm sure will look super-duper cool once painted!

I'm LOVING the progress you've made on the bat-rider!!! You've totally captured the feeling of them being wind-blown at high speeds somehow (I can't figure out how, but I'm still totally getting that vibe from it :) ). The hand looks very good as well!

It's so exciting seeing this piece come together, keep going! You can do it! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Thank you. Looks like the teeth might be something that I'll have to either live with and chalk up to lessons learned or redo altogether. I'm leaning towards the former because I don't think it'll be good to do too many corrections on the face and I already recombobulated it once.

I'll keep working, I've not had so much time the last few days because I was knocked out early by my meds but the headshrinker gave me new dosing instructions so I hope to get more stuff done. Other than that, you must gather your patience.

The bat head looks amaaaaaaaaaazing!! :D My only nit-picky criticism would be the teeth (sorry, I really don't have a thing about teeth, it's just what I noticed). They look too big for the skull/jaw, though the angle the second picture was taken from may be making it look that way.

He does look just a little bit bucktoothed. I think that would be easily solved by extending the upper lip downward. Or maybe sharpening the teeth a little so that they aren't butting up against each other.

As above, I'll leave the decision for a bit later. Maybe I'll come up with something or maybe he's just a dopey vampire. Not all vampires are super handsome and sparkly, you know.

Do you bake the models sitting on their wood bases?

There's no need to bake because I'm using ProCreate from KraftMark which is a bicomponental epoxy putty so it cures on its own after mixing.

Grab some reference photos of canine and feline predators and look at the teeth. The front teeth, incisors, are in a fairly straight row, and less prominent. The fangs are pronounced, and set outwards of the incisors. Running your finger across the front of this guys teeth, there should bumps for both fangs. Looking at this he has just a rounded row of big front teeth, and that's going to suggest a horse rather than a lethal predator. Then, looking at a wolf for example, the rear teeth should be in straight lines, and less prominent than the fangs. Here's some predators... and a fruitbat :) But his teeth are savage! Savage I tell you!

wolf_snarl.jpgmendelson-co-2.jpg5002498.JPG

Oh, an excellent comment. Thank you for the explanation and references; it's certain to come in handy as I work. For now I'm mostly discovering how it is to sculpt in the "monstrous" size and allowing space for artistic interpretation. I have studied bats some to learn about their anatomy and stuff, though. I like the grotesque tombstone teeth to be frank. There's a charm to them.

Edited by Hellbeard
  • Like 1
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some improvements:          

Thanks, friends!    Here's another practice head.        

Thanks! They don't blink but they do talk to me and tell which people from my friends and relatives have been replaced by aliens.

I don't know why I didn't look thru this earlier. Looks like I have a new person to bug when I invariably get stuck trying to sculpt something more complicated than a ball of GS.

Sure thing. I'll try to help if I can.

Well monstrous teeth are probably appropriate :)

Fit for a monster. XD

I think the teeth give the bat a strangely appealing cute look. The whole setup looks lively and unusual.

Thank you, that's a very nice compliment. Let's not count our bats before they hatch though, there's still a long way to go with this. I'll try to update soon.

Compliments on the bat: I can see his eyes glowing a cool blue, and I like what you're doing with the fur :)

That would look rad.

Ecellent Sculpting!! Love to see them in progress!!

Chris

Thank you! I don't update as often as before because the changes are more minute for each session on account of technical needs.

Courtesy sleep deficit:

Notes: progressing slowly. Lots of technical challenges. I tried to kick the hand up a notch. Doesn’t show so well with the lighting. The ears membrane I realized will have to serve only as a support for the sculpted surface. It’s too thin to do anything with.

jSty2Jm.jpg

6cPUSYV.jpg

gpD8cdU.jpg

3eukzy4.jpg

bHUB5Lu.jpg

Bonus workspace photo(got some new gear):

WTP6Q1h.jpg

• Like 4

Oh wow, the bat's mouth looks much much much better! I loooove what you did with the bat's nose and face, it really looks great! I can see the ears taking form, too, which is exciting! From what I can see of the guy's hand, it looks like you added some more detail, and what I can see looks very nice indeed.

Huzzah!

Bat face is looking a lot better, how he's really starting to look menacing. Also good work on the hands - I find hands to be far and away the hardest thing to sculpt (that I've tried so far!).

What's the new gear? Is that an optivisor?

Oh wow, the bat's mouth looks much much much better! I loooove what you did with the bat's nose and face, it really looks great! I can see the ears taking form, too, which is exciting! From what I can see of the guy's hand, it looks like you added some more detail, and what I can see looks very nice indeed.

Huzzah!

Thank you OneBoot, that's very sweet of you to write. :D

o.O I should never have doubted. You are awesome, and that is awesome.

Thanks, let's hope I can somehow keep the awesome factor going.

Bat face is looking a lot better, how he's really starting to look menacing. Also good work on the hands - I find hands to be far and away the hardest thing to sculpt (that I've tried so far!).

What's the new gear? Is that an optivisor?

Thank you. It hasn't come out perfect but it is an improvement which is a good thing.

The new gear I got includes:

Donegan Optivisor DA-7 (the glass kind) - amazing the difference in clarity between this and the 10$ Chinese kind.

A piercing saw and 124 6/0 blades - for breaking up sculpts

A caliper - really wanted one because I always need to transfer measurements and using the ruler all the time sucks

A mini vice - for holding stuff

A set of small size drill bits - for making holes.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, they're both coming along very nicely! His right hand and the gun are both totally spot-on, nicely done! The bat is looking more and more awesome as well, I'm loving that fur texture. :)

Huzzah!