Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Advice: lamps with magnifiers

Hey guys

thinkin of gettin one of those swing lamps that clamp down on to the table that incorporate a magnifier & light together, anyone got one of these?? If so, how is it for yah.

My vision is still good these days, but magnification always helps, but I've never been able to use a magifning glass while painting, something with being so close I guess.

Also how much wattage can you use with those types of lamps??

thanks!!

Randy M

the lamps dont seem to work too well for me, even when well positioned they always seem to be inconveinient and awkward to use....apparently the magnifying goggles or whatever are better - but i havent tried them personally.

I have a magnifier with a small light that rests on my chest. It is very awkward for me so I rarely use it. There is also a magnifier on my ottlite and I do use that from time to time but I also find it awkward. I still use my ottlite, just not the magnifier that came with it. Another thing you could try are reading glasses.

I already have one of those desk lamps with magnifier glass.

The label states that the bulb must not exceed 60 Watts, so that's what I use, a 60 Watt daylight bulb.

I find the design of the lamp to be less efficient than a regular desk lamp, since the whole screen/magnifier combo is indeed less bright than a regular hooded desk lamp. I never really use the glass either, since it messes my depht perception, and I find it tiresome after a while. If you already have a regular desk lamp, I'd suggest to get another one instead of the magnifying one. You can never have enough light, but unless you enjoy headaches, I wouldn't recomend a magnifyer.

If you can get the one with the flourescent "ring" around the magnifier. I helps a lot by surrounding the area with light. I use mine sometimes to double check the minutes details.

Lamp magnifiers have not worked well for me with mini painting. They are always in the way and affect depth perception. The reading glasses some painters use are inconvenient to me because I need to remove them to see items other than those at magnification distance and I dislike half-frames. For me the Optivisor works best. Depth perception is normal and I can flip it up out of the way easily. There are other less expensive models but I've only used the Optivisor with #7 lens.

Personally I have never liked magnifying glasses or visors when doing detail work. I find them uncomfortable and they get in the way. I prefer to use the good old fashioned method...hold the mini close to your face!

And I have really bad eyes too...

Damon.

I don't like them.

A single lens does not work well with our binocular percepcion of the world. I need my depth perception to work. I need less distortion than many of these provide. I need more control over light source angle versus viewing/working angle.

Many people swear by them, but I learned to love the headgear when I was a jewler's apprentice, nothing beats seeing in stereo when you are trying to get into tiny dimensional detail. :blink:

I agree with the whole depth perception thing. It doesn't help to have great magnification if you can't tell how far your brush is from the mini!

Well there is resounding consensus on the magnifier lamps. Now I hope I did not get one for christmas. Thanks a lot people, thanks for shattering my dreams. Excuse me while I go and have a good cry. Bast....jerks!

To be honest, I love mine. It has a big magnifyer on it, so both my eyes are getting through (15cm diameter) and the light works well too. I also have a bright desk light next to it so I am not relying on just the mag bulb.

eg.

desk.jpg

mini.jpg

minimag.jpg

I have one like Coogle's, somewhere, probably in the garage....unless I actually threw it away.

I thought it would be great to use for minis when I bought it but it gave me a headache. I used it for the lamp for a while and it worked great for that untill the joints gave out and I couldn't position it very well anymore.

Now I work with two $10 desk lamps with the bendable necks. I put daylight bulbs in them and they are working great. Sometimes I even use the extra heat the bulbs put out to speed dry minis while I am working on them. :B):

I bought a flourescent magnifier lamp that I use as my main light source. I also have two regular desklamps with the GE Reveal 75W bulbs on both sides of it, although I usually only use one of them at a time. This helps with color balancing, although if I had to choose only one light it would be the flourescent.

I couldn't imagine using the magnifier all the time, but it is convenient to double check tight spots or details without straining your eyes. Most of the time I do just hold the mini closer to my eyes, but when the fig is almost done it's important to me to check all the edges, and just inspect, and hopefully improve my work.

A good rule when using most magnifiers is to make sure the lens is equally distant from both your eye and the object you're looking at. Odd distances will only distort your viewing.

I just bought two magnifying lamps couple weeks ago. Even though I never use the magnifier for painting, but I found it useful to check your work in progress, to see how smooth the blends are. Especially useful to do quick check on the paint on the eyes, if both pupil have the same direction of highlight, etc.

And I do LOVE that daylight bulb ring that comes with it. At first, I didn't like it because it turns everything to blue, but combined with my painting room fan lights, it balances out the color and turns out great! Less spotty light getting reflected on the figure that sometimes throw me away when I'm highlighting.

Liliana