Sign in to follow this  
haldir

Advice: lamps with magnifiers

My early Christmas gift was a new desklight/magnifying lense combo. I wish I still had the box so I could tell you who made it, because quite frankly, I LOVE IT!! The one on my desk was purchased at Lowe's for about $20.00, can be fitted with regular light bulbs (I have a GE 60 watt Reveal light bulb) and what I really like is that it comes with an amazingly well weighted base, as well as a clamp so that it can be fitted on the edge of my work table.

Granted, I do not use the magnifying lense for painting, but it does come in handy for spot checks, or for those, 'What is that?' moments when you are not sure of what something is on a mini. ^_^

Seems that spot checking is the primary use of the magnifier glass. Me, I'm used to take WIP pictures, and do the checking later on the computer, but then, that's me.

Having used both a magnifying lamp and magnifying headgear, I'll chime in with my experience.

The lamp was extremely awkward to use. I kept bumping it with the brush or my face. The image kept going in and out of focus as the depth of field was too small. The heat of the bulb was uncomfortable. In all -- stay away.

I use headgear religiously and have used two different versions. The first version, some generic one piece found in a local hobby store was adequate, but not great. The image was fair, but the lens were boxed in. This cut down on my peripheral vision. And the headband wasn't padded.

The second version -- The second version was/is divine. Absolutely perfect.

That version?..... MagEyes

Go for the Mageyes Plus. They're comfortable. The magnification is super. My peripheral vision isn't hampered. Several different powers of magnification are available. And the loupe is handy. Good stuff. Damn good stuff. Oh, and the headband is padded.... ::):

Do yourself a favor. Stay away from clumsy magnifying lamps. Go for MagEyes. You'll love them. They're worth every penny.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ::D: