Painting sheer white stockings?

I think white is the easiest colour to do this with, so I'm glad you're starting out with that!

Some tips I'm not sure I included in the other thread you read.

1. It's better to overdo it than underdo it with this and most painting effects. Go for a wet t-shirt effect if it helps you to push yourself towards that. What I mean is, if you just have a little bit of a pale tan colour where the cloth is taut instead of full on painting it to look like the skin on the figure but a little bit paler, it might just look like a shading colour.

2. Wrinkles are very helpful to conveying the illusion of cloth being over the skin. Cloth that's wrinkled is pulled away from the skin, so it's pure white and shaded with a different colour in that area, which helps demonstrate that it's cloth over skin rather than skin-coloured fabric. If the sculpt doesn't have wrinkles sculpted around the back of the knees or at the ankles, you can paint them in with a small white stripe, then a darker gray (or blue or whatever colour you're shading with) stripe right below it. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find pictures of stockings with wrinkles, but you should be able to find a shirt or something else to get the idea.

3. Use terms like sheer, translucent and transparent to search Google for examples. Once you're in Google image search, you can sort by colour to help get pictures of mostly white items. Note that if you have safe search off, you might get some naughty content with those terms!

I was wondering if I should use grey or blue in creases on this. And since there are so few it helps to know that I can paint them in too add more depth to the fabric. My husband will enjoy having me search the net using these terms. You know, I should really be asking him how these should look as he would know better than I what makes a nice looking pair of white stockings:)

I'm having trouble getting over my fear and posting what I think is decent in show-off. I know I'll muck this up more than a few times, but yes, you're right, I'll get there faster if I post my mistakes and let people give me advice on how next to proceed.

You have been most kind and helpful and I greatly appreciate that.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

Whether you pick blue or grey or another colour to shade the creases is a matter of choice - what you like painting with, or what you feel fits in with colours you've used elsewhere on the figure. It is helpful to use a colour different than the any colours you'll use on the skin parts. Where you have the stocking tight against the skin, you'll use skin tones to shade and highlight there. So if you have a yellowy or tan tone to your skin, it's probably best to avoid using tan or cream to shade the white.

The reason I think it's helpful to use different colours is I think it helps the viewer more easily identify 'this part is cloth, and this part is skin I'm seeing through the cloth'. It's possible to use similar or even the same colours to shade skin and cloth, but it's probably a little more challenging. (I figure I'd better add that note before someone calls me on having use the same colours to shade the skin and cloth on Jahenna, which I absolutely did. ;-> http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jahenna/sku-down/02632#detail/IG_198_2)

These stockings are why I recommend pushing yourself to err on the side of overdoing the effect. (Note that this link is NSFW!) http://www.coolminiornot.com/167347?browseid=6014327 There are skin tones on the top of the thigh and knee and such, but it's so subtle that it could look like highlighting rather than being transparent. (Though I did use a different colour to highlight to wrinkles, yay me. ;->) Someday I should go back and paint this figure again...

• Like 2

Those are very interesting tips Wren! Thanks for sharing!

I'm definately gonna try em out!

That Jahenna is awesome btw, it's different from all other sheer I've seen since it gives the idea to be so expensive silky. I've been staring at that one before and wondered how to achieve such a result.

I never dared to shade my sheer fabrics with another colour (maybe some 'grey-skin-ish' once but it never satsfied me), but I'm definately gonna try this out.

@ Anne: sometimes you come to a point where you don't know what you're doing wrong and then you either fight with it for a very long time, or ask around and gain tips and advice from others to help you seeing for yourself why it doesn't turn out the way you want it to be. The second option is the first and fastest key to proceed to a next level.

For too many years I've been focussed on one sort of miniatures that never gave me a chance to try out new techniques (such as this sheer.. - you know... Aragorns and Galdalfs with sheer armour and robes doesn't really make a match to my likes).

I think you're on one of the best places on the internet to ask for tips and advice. These Reapers have the excellent miniatures to try out every technique you want, and the best part of it is that you get even tips and advice from the house-crew and other great artists me and many others look up to.

Especially if you don't have the ability to visit convensions or workshops, the way can be very long, frustrating and disappointing if you're too stubborn to ask things... Believe me, I've been walking that path for almost 10 years now... (and while saying this, I hope to learn from it myself now...) ;)

• Like 2

Whether you pick blue or grey or another colour to shade the creases is a matter of choice - what you like painting with, or what you feel fits in with colours you've used elsewhere on the figure. It is helpful to use a colour different than the any colours you'll use on the skin parts. Where you have the stocking tight against the skin, you'll use skin tones to shade and highlight there. So if you have a yellowy or tan tone to your skin, it's probably best to avoid using tan or cream to shade the white.

The reason I think it's helpful to use different colours is I think it helps the viewer more easily identify 'this part is cloth, and this part is skin I'm seeing through the cloth'. It's possible to use similar or even the same colours to shade skin and cloth, but it's probably a little more challenging. (I figure I'd better add that note before someone calls me on having use the same colours to shade the skin and cloth on Jahenna, which I absolutely did. ;-> http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/jahenna/sku-down/02632#detail/IG_198_2)

These stockings are why I recommend pushing yourself to err on the side of overdoing the effect. (Note that this link is NSFW!) http://www.coolminiornot.com/167347?browseid=6014327 There are skin tones on the top of the thigh and knee and such, but it's so subtle that it could look like highlighting rather than being transparent. (Though I did use a different colour to highlight to wrinkles, yay me. ;->) Someday I should go back and paint this figure again...

Jahenna is a stunning piece of work. You nailed the technique perfectly on her. I've seen the CMON piece and I just love it. The stockings look like pure silk there. I must say that I like how you have her clothes and boots strewn behind her on the base. That adds so much to the overall piece.

I'm going to be using the Rosy Skin Triad on her. I'm used to using grey and blue to do shadows on white and figured I'd stick with those. What I'm going to do with her is just do the legs first and leave the rest of the figure alone. I know I will have to strip the paint more than once before I get it right. Once I have something I can live with, I'll do the rest of her. I'll post it in W.I.P. after I get the really clumsy mistakes out of the way.

Those are very interesting tips Wren! Thanks for sharing!

I'm definately gonna try em out!

That Jahenna is awesome btw, it's different from all other sheer I've seen since it gives the idea to be so expensive silky. I've been staring at that one before and wondered how to achieve such a result.

I never dared to shade my sheer fabrics with another colour (maybe some 'grey-skin-ish' once but it never satsfied me), but I'm definately gonna try this out.

@ Anne: sometimes you come to a point where you don't know what you're doing wrong and then you either fight with it for a very long time, or ask around and gain tips and advice from others to help you seeing for yourself why it doesn't turn out the way you want it to be. The second option is the first and fastest key to proceed to a next level.

For too many years I've been focussed on one sort of miniatures that never gave me a chance to try out new techniques (such as this sheer.. - you know... Aragorns and Galdalfs with sheer armour and robes doesn't really make a match to my likes).

I think you're on one of the best places on the internet to ask for tips and advice. These Reapers have the excellent miniatures to try out every technique you want, and the best part of it is that you get even tips and advice from the house-crew and other great artists me and many others look up to.

Especially if you don't have the ability to visit convensions or workshops, the way can be very long, frustrating and disappointing if you're too stubborn to ask things... Believe me, I've been walking that path for almost 10 years now... (and while saying this, I hope to learn from it myself now...) ;)

The reason I'm at this forum is because of the reputation of the painters and the teachers here. My friends will be nice and say "That's great" but that doesn't help me improve. I need people who won't molly coddle me. I think it does help to paint a variety of models and manufacturers. I paint historical mini's as well and that's an entirely different breed of cat. I just took part in an Ancients Painting Club and did some Ancient Celts from Warlord and they were really hard to do as there is little detail in those sculpts. I've done some 15mm Essex figures, some Gripping Beast Vikings and some Knuckleduster Wild West. I'm also going to be taking part in an Annual Winter Painting Challenge that is entirely historical mini's. But I can do this as I don't game. If I had to paint armies and such for a gaming system, I couldn't afford to muck around in so many areas.

I've had to accept that I'll never be able to go to Cons or meet painters in real life. All my blogger buddies live in England and they get together for games and go to Salute together. Sometimes it's painful to read their batreps and to see pics of them all together at Cons, knowing I'll never get to be part of the group in that way. Next year when Reaper Con comes, I'll just cry when I see all the excitement going on here. But you know, my life has been enriched by meeting these people online and learning from them so it's all good.

• Artists

On Jahenna, I used Dark Elf Highlight to shade both the white and the skin, and for the initial steps of highlighting the hair (that also had Tanned Skin added to later highlights). My aim was to try to aim for a bit twilight light sort of feel over the piece.

The Dark Elf triad is a dark colour with a slight purple tone to it. It is a great set of colours for shading white or highlighting black. I also like the Dusky Skin (more of a brownish purple) for those purposes. They are both nice alternatives if you don't want a blue white or a tan white.

Anne - Using colours you're comfortable with is a good choice for a new technique like this. I'd imagine you'd be able to repaint the surface several times before you would need to strip it, since it's not an area of detailed filigree or anything.

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe we can find you some kind of con or event near you. If nothing else, you could consider starting your own painting group in your area. While it's not the same as taking classes at a convention, it is still very helpful to band together with other painters to get feedback and push each other and stuff. (See the Painting Party thread in this area of the forums for more ideas on that front.)

• Like 1

On Jahenna, I used Dark Elf Highlight to shade both the white and the skin, and for the initial steps of highlighting the hair (that also had Tanned Skin added to later highlights). My aim was to try to aim for a bit twilight light sort of feel over the piece.

The Dark Elf triad is a dark colour with a slight purple tone to it. It is a great set of colours for shading white or highlighting black. I also like the Dusky Skin (more of a brownish purple) for those purposes. They are both nice alternatives if you don't want a blue white or a tan white.

Anne - Using colours you're comfortable with is a good choice for a new technique like this. I'd imagine you'd be able to repaint the surface several times before you would need to strip it, since it's not an area of detailed filigree or anything.

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe we can find you some kind of con or event near you. If nothing else, you could consider starting your own painting group in your area. While it's not the same as taking classes at a convention, it is still very helpful to band together with other painters to get feedback and push each other and stuff. (See the Painting Party thread in this area of the forums for more ideas on that front.)

I bought the Dark Elf triad and have played around with it and I like it. I'm using it on the hair of the figure I'm submitting for the Pulp Competition as those purple tones will tie in with the lilac shade of the figures clothing.

The problem with my making it to Cons isn't just a matter of distance of travel or of money (although that is a factor). My husband is quite ill and he requires constant care. I cannot leave him unattended except to go outside in my gardens and even then I have to go inside to check on him every 20 minutes or so. He's not dying, but he is deteriorating at a fairly rapid pace.

Currently I'm living Stateside as my husband is an American and the Neurosurgeon that is handling his case is here. This surgeon is very, very good and he has been on the telly. I wanted the very best chance I could get for my husband so we moved here a little over 2 years ago. There just isn't anyone in Ireland that is as good as this guy is. Once my husband is at a point where this doctor says "There is nothing more I can do for you" we're moving back to Ireland where I can have a home built that will accommodate my husbands special needs.

I met one gamer that lives about an hour from me and hoped to strike up a friendship and learn from him. However I have a thick Cork accent and he said he couldn't understand a word I was saying. I get that a lot here and have become accustomed to just keeping to myself. That's why the hobby and the nice people I meet online through it are such a blessing. My accent doesn't matter online and my being a foreigner doesn't matter either. There are just some things in life that one must accept and not struggle against and this is one of those things. This forum is great because all the best Fantasy painters and teachers are here. Also I've found that at Reaper there are loads of women painters and I need that. The pool of female talent you guys have gathered is staggering and just seeing all of the women who scratch build and teach is inspiring to me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to speak with me as I am aware of just how talented you are and of the body of work you have turned out.

• Like 4

Even if you don't actually wind up posting picture, I've found there is a lot of value in 'going through the motions' as if I were going to do so. After staring at a mini for hours it can become very hard to tell the difference between actual 'problems' and things that I only *think* are problems.

A camera is often a good second opinion because it will 'see' things very differently...and can help distinguish mountains from mole hills. Though it almost always also 'discovers' issues I didn't know I had....

Also, ths defers the whole 'gathering courage to post' part untill after you already have a picture you like...:)

• Like 2

• Artists

That's a pretty challenging circumstance. :-< I think a lot of Americans do have trouble with accents. I'm originally from a very multicultural city (Toronto, Canada), so I'm used to hearing accents, but I have a terrible ear for them. That's too bad that the local gamer couldn't try a little harder. Having someone close who could come to you to hang out and paint sounds like it would be a boon for you.

I'm happy to have helped, and to welcome another woman painter to the gang!

If I were close I would be happy to come and give you some company, and I am certain I would be able to get past your county Cork accent. The problem is I would pretty soon be using (butchering) it myself. I am terrible for picking up accents from those I spend time with.

• Like 2

@ShadowRaven, my husband does the exact same thing with accents, maybe it has to do with growing up in Alberta?

@Anne, I wish I could just stop by and say 'hello'. I remember when we moved to the USA from Canada it felt pretty lonely, and that was with 3 kids to chase around. Hopefully you will be returning home with good results, not bad ones.

I get practice with accents. Our work place is muliticultural.

In the research & development technical team we have: Australian, New Zealand, French, Singaporean & English.

In the office add on Pacific Islander, Sri Lanken (spelling?)

I'm not going to even think about the factory... lets just say Harmony Day is a big celebration at work here... and there has been a rule brought in that English is the language to be spoken in the lunch room & factory (people were feeling that there was "gossip" they were missing out on)

When I did some of my Relic Knights figures, to do the stockings I simply mixed a heavy wash and painted it over the flesh tone. I then painted chunks white where it seemed the light might hit heavier to get the reflective quality. It's probably not as good and fancy as a lot of folks stuff, but it worked well for what I was doing. I did black the same way, here are the pics.

HisamiSmall-1.jpg

PrefectValeria.png

Makes me realize I really need to go back and touch these figures up though, I was in a hurry and was doing about 6-8 figures in 5 hours (I worked overnight and had about 5 free hours each night to do what I wanted, so long as I stayed awake)

Edited by The Faceless King
  • Like 2