About the foamcorps trays

ohako

Hi folks,

So, I'm a bit nutty about, well, containers, and I really like the Bones minis briefcases I got with my Kickstarter.

a) Uh, it looks like the foamcorps.com guy has some personal issues blah blah orders aren't being fulfilled. I think I want to get some different trays for my cases (a paint tray, some of the bigger figs trays), but that up-top message doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence. What's the deal and/or should I place an order?

b) Has anyone gone through a vampire box and figured out which minis fit in which little slots? I picked up 3 cases, and I think this is how the loadout should work

case 1: 1 paint tray and 1 1.5" FCR006 (for paints and large figs)

case 2: 2 1.5" FCR005 trays (for larger than normal figs)

case 3: 3 of the trays I got with the case, for all the little guys

What do you think? Should that work? Or should I just go to work with the trays I've got and a hobby knife because the site/store is toast?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone through each mini, but I did try a couple out.

The inside of the squares are exactly 1" wide by 1.5" tall. The Mr. Bones figurine fits exactly within those dimensions, with only a very tiny amount of extra space between his shovel and the top of the square.

The Skeletal Swordsman also fits perfectly. The Skeletal spearman does not, as his spear sticks up over his head.

You know what, you've made me curious. I'll go ahead and figure out which minis fit and which don't, and post my findings on http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/50027-oneboots-kickstarter-bones-wip-advice-and-comments-welcome/page-4'>my WIP thread shortly.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

You know what, you've made me curious. I'll go ahead and figure out which minis fit and which don't, and post my findings on my WIP thread shortly.

Huzzah!

I actually did this, but neglected to take pictures. The Nova Corps and IMEF figures all fit well; most of the Chronoscope figures did not. The Pathfinder Iconics mostly fit, with a couple of them a little cramped. Dwarves and Half-Sized Heroes had no problems, but Golems were right out.

And so on, and so on.

Outrider has, on occasion, had some pretty severe issues with delays in the past, but, so far as I know, has always gotten the product there in the end. If he is, indeed, having some problems, you may see delays too. I have no idea what his personal situation is, but, if you are not in a hurry, I'm sure you will get what you ask for. He makes pretty a good product.

You can always drop him a line through his email link. If things are really bad, you may not hear back (which will answer your question). If things are back on track, I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss what you want.

Edited by klarg1

Please let us know if you find a way to get different trays. I checked out his site shortly after I got my cases, but his site is also a little hard to navigate. I mean, there are "Reaper" trays, but it's hard to tell if those fit this case or the Kickstarter ones. No measurements are included, so it's more work than I currently have time for.

Very cool, Mr. Boot, very cool!

Okay, I will send email to the Outrider person and figure out if the 'reaper' case trays will fit the new cases. And also check if he still fulfills orders etc.

So...I may have squeezed a pile of minis that don't quite fit into my case.

a) so, presumably, this means that paint will rub off of them eventually. That's good to know

b) if you position a mini just so, and it started out bent, if you wait long enough, will it get bent the other way? I ask because my warchanter goblin is doing the limbo, and maybe if I squeeze her into a little slot she'll come out better. Would that work?

Here's a link to my breakdown of exactly which minis will fit into the Reaper KS cases.

Huzzah!

• Like 1

So...I may have squeezed a pile of minis that don't quite fit into my case.

a) so, presumably, this means that paint will rub off of them eventually. That's good to know

From my experience, this will actually be less of a problem with Bones painted with acrylic paint than it is with metal.minis. I have a dozen Bones Kobolds that I painted and have been carrying around all.tossed into a pencil box for the last 9 months -no signs of wear yet.

b) if you position a mini just so, and it started out bent, if you wait long enough, will it get bent the other way? I ask because my warchanter goblin is doing the limbo, and maybe if I squeeze her into a little slot she'll come out better. Would that work?

While that might work, far more effective would be to dip her in near boiling water for a few seconds, then position her correctly and then dip in ice water to set.

I did this with all my bent bones, and not only did it work great, but it was interesting to note that the severely bent Bones would actually begin to straighten themselves out while in the hot water.

Also, if you can find regular gray packing foam or upholstry foam, you can trace your existing trays and cut your own compartments however you want. I did this for my Battlefoam bag and found it quite easy and a lot cheaper than buying pre-made foam trays. For some reason, nobody I've mentioned it to seems that interested :)

her ladyship of the individual piece of footwear

This. I like this. I'll have to use this as a character name at some point. ::D:

@kristof65 - True, and Reaper MS paints have proven to be exceedingly sturdy on Bones (somone even ran over a basecoated mini with their car, with only minor damage); however, I did want to note that the possibility was there.

@The Dread Polack - That's a brilliant idea! I've been trying to find some foam trays for a suitcase-sized hard sided case I dug out of our storage unit, and I haven't been able to find any for less than about $80 (granted, part of that may be due to the dimensions; I could probably fit 2 Vampires in this beast, it's awesome)

Huzzah!

Edited by OneBoot