About the foamcorps trays

ohako

@The Dread Polack - That's a brilliant idea! I've been trying to find some foam trays for a suitcase-sized hard sided case I dug out of our storage unit, and I haven't been able to find any for less than about $80 (granted, part of that may be due to the dimensions; I could probably fit 2 Vampires in this beast, it's awesome)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

FYI, I made my 1" tray at 12 x 15.5 for $6. I picked up the foam locally. If your case is 6" deep, thent that's $36. The bad news is that shipping tends to be expensive if you're ordering online. I can send you a link if you want, but Walmart sells Upholstry foam in big enough sheets, I think, for the reaper case for around the same price.

• Like 1

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@The Dread Polack - That's a brilliant idea! I've been trying to find some foam trays for a suitcase-sized hard sided case I dug out of our storage unit, and I haven't been able to find any for less than about $80 (granted, part of that may be due to the dimensions; I could probably fit 2 Vampires in this beast, it's awesome)

Huzzah!

FYI, I made my 1" tray at 12 x 15.5 for $6. I picked up the foam locally. If your case is 6" deep, thent that's $36. The bad news is that shipping tends to be expensive if you're ordering online. I can send you a link if you want, but Walmart sells Upholstry foam in big enough sheets, I think, for the reaper case for around the same price.

How did you cut your foam? I know from painful experience that cutting foam can be more difficult than it appears. (Also, what did you use for the underside of the tray?)

I'm planning to try making some custom trays for my battlefoam bag. In researching my options I found this site: http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html

It has the same (or very similar) foam used in minis trays as well as the denser stuff for the bottoms. Make sure to look under the industrial category on the left-hand side.

For my purposes I'm planning to use either the CD100 or Y37ch for the tray and the 3002 for the bottom.

For cutting the foam I'll use a hot wire cutter like this: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wonder-cutter-plus-164293/

Looks like they've got some foam on clearance too, including the Y37, great prices on that: http://www.foamorder.com/clearance.html#packing

Huzzah!

Nice find on the clearance foam. Do be aware those are 1/8" and 1/4" thick. They're big enough sheets that you can easily stack them though and that gives you some extra flexibility at the cost of a little extra work.

I can't speak to the Kickstarter cases, but if you like foam inserts, it's pretty easy to find pluck foam, tear it to the right size, and pull out pieces to hold minis. If you need more cases, Plano makes a case advertised as a pistol case that is both inexpensive and a good size for minis.

I have a smaller version of that case, or at least something that looks very similar, for storing my SIG P229. I'll have to check when I get home to be sure, but if it's the same product line I'd say it's decent. Not quite as sturdy as I'd like for actually storing a pistol and 2 spare magazines like I'm using it for, but most definitely sturdy enough for storing plastic miniatures. Metals will probably work fine in it too, so long as you're not rough with it. The more weight you're carrying, the more likely it is to break if you toss it rather than setting it down gently, which is part of why I think it's too flimsy for actual pistol storage.

The Reaper pistol case that my MSP HD set came in is nice and solid though. If I could just switch the foam trays out between the cases and store my pistol in the Reaper case, I probably would. But I can't because they aren't the same shape or size.

How did you cut your foam? I know from painful experience that cutting foam can be more difficult than it appears. (Also, what did you use for the underside of the tray?)

I used one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-9mm-Metal-Body-Snap-Knife-DWHT10037/202710470?N=4j2#.Ud5IfDvVDkZ

The foam is somewhat resistant to piercing damage, but once you get your blade all the way through the foam, you can saw through the foam with the blade extended.

The underside of the foam is a 1/4 inch "closed cell" foam. See below.

I'm planning to try making some custom trays for my battlefoam bag. In researching my options I found this site: http://www.foamorder.com/packing.html

It has the same (or very similar) foam used in minis trays as well as the denser stuff for the bottoms. Make sure to look under the industrial category on the left-hand side.

For my purposes I'm planning to use either the CD100 or Y37ch for the tray and the 3002 for the bottom.

For cutting the foam I'll use a hot wire cutter like this: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/wonder-cutter-plus-164293/

That's the best site I've found. The prices are actually slightly better than the local store I bought from, but I saved more without shipping. I found the site through an online article here: http://creativetwilight.com/making-your-own-foam-trays/ He suggests using Y37ch for the main part of the tray and CD100 for the bottom. If you read the description of the foam types, the 3002 is mainly for sound insulation. I have no idea how it would do as a bottom layer. My bottom layer material is a little different than what is on the site. It's a little softer, but I find it to be perfectly fine.

The guy who sold me the foam recommended the knife method I described. He said a hot wire will also work but said you should be sure to do it in a well-ventilated area, as it creates some nasty fumes.

And finally, here are some pics of the trays I've made so far:

2013-06-10%2023.23.49.jpg

2013-06-10%2023.24.04.jpg

2013-06-10%2023.32.36-1.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you.

I don't think I used CD100 on mine. I'm not sure what the stuff I used is called. The guy at the store looked at the pluck-foam tray from Battlefoam that I brought and said the stuff he had was softer than that. It seems to be true, however, it works just fine for my use. I think especially when you consider that a pluck-foam tray is only glued onto the base around the outside and mine is glued down entirely, it is a bit stronger overall. It only flexes slightly, even while full of metal minis.

Cool. Good to know.
It's funny; I never thought of 3002 as a sound insulator before. I'm familiar with it for its anti-static properties; I used to have quite a lot of it for storing MOSFET chips for school projects. I may still go that route for the tray bottoms but if you happen to remember what you used on yours I'd love to know; it looks similar to the 3002.

Hmm… Now I'm thinking that a layer of foam core sandwiched between two 1/8" CD100 or Y37 would be plenty stiff… ideas, ideas.

Those are some awesome custom trays, Dread Polack!

I'm curious how the alternate foam(s) stand up to general wear-and-tear (such as from minis going in and out of the case). I'm not that familiar with the various types of foam, but I know some foam can disintegrate fairly quickly if it's handled too much.

Since the foam trays included with the Kickstarter cases don't seem to work well for the bones, what dimensions (and type) of pluck foam should I look for when creating my own? Bonus points for including where I can purchase the aforementioned pluck foam.

Since the foam trays included with the Kickstarter cases don't seem to work well for the bones, what dimensions (and type) of pluck foam should I look for when creating my own? Bonus points for including where I can purchase the aforementioned pluck foam.

You can get pluck foam from Uline: http://www.uline.com/BL_873/Pick-And-Pack-Foam However, you have to buy quite a bit of it.

I'm curious how the alternate foam(s) stand up to general wear-and-tear (such as from minis going in and out of the case). I'm not that familiar with the various types of foam, but I know some foam can disintegrate fairly quickly if it's handled too much.

This is something I don't know much about, either. I've seen a variety of qualities in foam trays for miniatures. The foam I got is very similar to what I've seen from Battlefoam and the Reaper case we got. I experimented a bit with upholstry foam and have heard that it works well too. After all, anything that can support me can probably support my miniatures.

• Like 1

Very cool, Mr. Boot, very cool!

Okay, I will send email to the Outrider person and figure out if the 'reaper' case trays will fit the new cases. And also check if he still fulfills orders etc.

So...I may have squeezed a pile of minis that don't quite fit into my case.

a) so, presumably, this means that paint will rub off of them eventually. That's good to know

b) if you position a mini just so, and it started out bent, if you wait long enough, will it get bent the other way? I ask because my warchanter goblin is doing the limbo, and maybe if I squeeze her into a little slot she'll come out better. Would that work?

Here's a link to my breakdown of exactly which minis will fit into the Reaper KS cases.

Huzzah!

From correspondance with, I'm guessing, 'Reaper Ron'

The foam on the Outrider site is only for our small figure case which you referenced. At this time, there are no additional foam trays for our larger case featured in our Kickstarter.

Ugh.

So, I went and got 36 paints from the Kickstarter, because I figured I could, you know, get that pretty paints foam from Outrider and stash them in my shiny new case. Show of hands to anybody else who did this?

Welp, time to get back to the ol' inventory!