How do bones react to Superglue Debonder?

brisingre

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, right now I'm scraping the glue off, it's working okay.

(I didn't join something by mistake, I used too much glue and it got onto parts of the model surface where I didn't want it. It's not too noticable though.)

This, only it came that way from the factory. I bought the Minotaur and it's like they just haphazardly squeezed a tube of thin consistency superglue over the model and stuck the bits together. I am now trying to figure out how to separate the parts, (Head, Arms, tail) from the body.

With them attached, I can't get my dental picks and knife into some areas to try to scrape away the excess glue which has filled in some of the spaces between muscles resulting in a loss of detail .

I tried the bend and break (like another poster suggested) , but it looks like the bones material is starting to tear around the join.

Has anyone confirmed if Simple Green will loosen the glue? I know Acetone will remove the glue, but I have not seen anyone post the effects it has had on the Bones material yet.

I have some sprues from some goblins I might be able to experiment on this weekend.

When I tested the Un-Cure it made the exposed superglue gummy fairly quickly, so should work ok for scraping that off if you can get to it with anything at all.

It just took a long time to actually weaken the bond between two pieces. And again, that was with Gorilla super glue, which has additives to make it more flexible (but was all I had to test with). Whatever they are using at the factory may come apart easier (or not).

I'm tempted to try it on a Swamp Troll or two, now that I have my KS rewards. Some of the should joints on those have a massive gap.

The great Bones vs Acetone experiment has begun. I super glued (Loctite Brush on brand) two pieces of sprue into a cross and let dry. As previously noted by another post, the bond is pretty strong.

1. I started by swabbing some Acetone on the sprue with a Q-Tip and let it evaporate. No noticeable effect.

2. Sprue is soaking in a jar with acetone. Will check at 30 mins and 1 hour. If no noticeable effect, I will let soak over night.

Stay Tuned!

3. 10 Minute mark. (I couldn't wait 30 minutes!). After 10 minutes, the material is more rubbery and bendy. No melting yet.

More to come!

4. 20 Minute mark. Not what I expected. Ironically, the glue bond is still pretty solid, but the Bones has become crumbly. If you scrape it with your fingernail, little pieces crumble off. No melting per se.

1002991_468682426497322_1668885453_n.jpg

Up next: 30 minutes and counting!

5. 30 minutes and the material is very rubbery and bendy. Huge chunks pull out when I scraped it with my fingernail. No sign of the super glue bond weakening at all.

1016838_468684203163811_621099518_n.jpg

UPDATE: After letting the glued pieces sit for several hours, the glue bond finally dissolved, but the material remained very stretchy and bendy.+

CONCLUSION: Acetone is not good for the Bones material (Which I think we all pretty much knew it wasn't.). It will make it very bendy and soft after 20 minutes. It might melt after an overnight soak, but I am not going to extend the experiment overnight.

Edited by Bloodhowl
  • Like 3

Can you repeat the experiment with new sprues to the 20 minute timeline and then the 30 minute timeline, remove them from the acetone, clean them, let them sit overnight. Then verify if they are still extremely bendy and crumbly?

It would be interesting to see if they reverted back to regular bones, or if the change was permanent.

Can you repeat the experiment with new sprues to the 20 minute timeline and then the 30 minute timeline, remove them from the acetone, clean them, let them sit overnight. Then verify if they are still extremely bendy and crumbly?

It would be interesting to see if they reverted back to regular bones, or if the change was permanent.

I think I have enough fresh sprue to give it a try.

Per Mistwalker's request, I have started another experiment. I have a fresh piece of sprue soaking for 20 minutes, then will remove and leave to sit overnight.

I just checked the piece from the previous experiment it's been sitting out for a few hours now, and it is no longer crumbly. It is, however, very bendy and stretchy. I'll leave it over night and see if it firms up any more. I may drop another fresh piece in for 30 mins and leave overnight just to make sure the experiment is good.

UPDATE: After the 20 minute soak of the fresh piece, I started playing with the earlier test piece. The super glue bond came right apart with a minimal of effort. I went ahead and put another piece in for 30 mins. I'll post the results tomorrow morning after I check on them

21 June 2013:

CONCLUSION: After letting the Bones soak in Acetone for 20 and 30 minutes (I did not wash them off after the acetone soak, just let them air dry), and then sit overnight, they have "firmed up" a little bit. By that I mean chunks of the material will not come away if you dig at it with your fingernail as I did in the previous experiment. They do, however, remain more elastic than before the soak. If you pull on both ends it will stretch, similar to Mr. fantastic from the Fantastic 4 (I would have said Stretch Armstrong, but then I am afraid I would be showing my age!), and I can bend/fold it back on itself, which I could not do before the acetone bath.

Final thoughts: Soaking in Acetone will change the characteristics of Bones, and will eventually dissolve a super glue bond (Loctite Brush On, for sure, other glues YMMV). Scrubbing at excess super glue spots using a Q-Tip dipped in Acetone should not have a noticeable effect on the material, but may also not be enough to undo the glue bond, given how well the glue sticks to the Bones.

Edited by Bloodhowl