Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Gypsy Nomad Camp/Full View (WIP)...fantasy terrain

post-11942-0-53690000-1373476641_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-41465000-1373476561_thumb.jpg

Gypsy Nomad Camp...This is a full view of the Gypsy camp project that I have been/am currently working on. Pictured are (back row from left to right);

1. Tattoo & piercing tent...

2. Fortune teller tent...

3. Gypsy witch tent...

4. Tarot card reader tent...

5. Gilded Lily sporting house tent...

6. Gypsy open air art tent...

7. Gypsy central bazaar...

8. Ale wagon & food table...

Both the upper left & right open areas will contain Gypsy wagons (maybe a 3rd in the center area)...

Both lower left & right open areas are free to add 2 more tents...I am open to suggestions/ideas as to what these 2 tents should be...to fit the overall current theme...so that they blend in!

• Like 5

Not sure what's left to add. Some type of horse or animal pen? Maybe a wagon being repaired?

Hi Darsc. I knew that I could count on you for a suggestion. Remember that I don't want to add/include any animals (not even the horses/mules/oxen that pull the wagons); so the addition of an animal pen does not fit the bill...but...your suggestion of a wagon under repair sounds great...it would have to be static (without any support figures)...but tools & new lumber with an older weathered wagon could tell the story...I like it!...

As far as tents go...I was considering a (Gypsy Snake Charmer) tent; but am lost as far as what the other tent might/would/could be...give me another great suggestion!

What about a tent that is in the middle of being put up, or taken down depending on the situation?

I'm thinking wooden frame partially constructed, plus some rolled up canvas, maybe partially draped... Anyway, setting the scene is your area of expertise. :;):

• Like 1

What about a tent that is in the middle of being put up, or taken down depending on the situation?

I'm thinking wooden frame partially constructed, plus some rolled up canvas, maybe partially draped... Anyway, setting the scene is your area of expertise. :;):

Another idea for me to consider...BUT...what is the theme/type of tent? So that the proper sign(s) could be laying on the ground?

Another idea for me to consider...BUT...what is the theme/type of tent? So that the proper sign(s) could be laying on the ground?

I've been thinking on this for awhile as I'm running out of tent themes. How about a stonecutter?

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit of an oddball suggestion but:

Collier

A person who makes charcoal from wood; he often lived in the woods in a crude shelter, while he tended his charcoal pits

• Like 1

Darsc...your suggestion/idea is unusual...but I can not see a stonecutter being part of a Gypsy Nomad band. He would/could be in the shire as a resident with all the tools/items & stones that he uses/employs but not part of a nomad group traveling throughout the land. In all my research; I never (not even once) found reference/mention of such a persona in regard to a nomad group.

klawzie,,,your suggestion of a (Collier) is also unique. I know nothing about such a person...I would have to do some extensive research. But would not such a person be more or less found in a stationary place/location? Again I can not see such a person being part of a Gypsy Nomad traveling band.

While I don't know about the "real world", there was a gypsy stonecutter in the video game Fable 3.

http://fable.wikia.com/wiki/Gypsy_Stone_Cutter?useskin=oasis&cb=8444

I did warn you I was running out of ideas. :;):

Sorry Darsc...I never played the Fable video game series...I am strictly a Final Fantasy fan and a few selected other medieval fantasy video games...So I missed seeing the stonecutter.

I don't know a lot about Romani - but most of the fantasy novels I've read that involve gypsy-ish types of people are known for their ability to fix pots. No idea why, or how - could very possibly be tied in with the copper-smithing that redambrosia mentioned (that's what made me think of it anyways).

• Like 1

I don't know a lot about Romani - but most of the fantasy novels I've read that involve gypsy-ish types of people are known for their ability to fix pots. No idea why, or how - could very possibly be tied in with the copper-smithing that redambrosia mentioned (that's what made me think of it anyways).

They had to be self sufficient. Most communities would have dealings with them, so they had to be able to fix their own metal work, do their own carpentry, leather work, etc. In general they didn't have exceptionally advanced craftsmen, since that level of skill usually requires a stable workshop, but the romani tribes did have skilled workers who made beautiful work. Just look at their wagons, cloth, and jewelry.

But they probably wouldn't have a wagon or tent devoted a particular craft. That wagon would just be that family's wagon, and that tent would be so-and-so's tent, and the fact that he was skilled at woodworking would be secondary to his family connections.

• Like 1