Sign in to follow this  
Wilwarin

Kassandra of the Blade (experimental semi-speed paintjob)

I've had this mini around for a few years now and finally decided to paint her once I was more comfortable pinning. I think she's one of the best pin jobs that I've done to date :) and I thought it was relatively easy :) i really enjoyed painting her. She's just an NPC for D&D so she didn't take but a few hours to paint. I have a queue of figures to paint so I wanted to get her done before I started on the others for an upcoming show.

I used her as an experiment of sorts. One of the miniatures I'm painting is from Stormtroopers (Boudicea) and she has "fiery red hair". I concocted a mix for red hair and want to know what you all think of it? I highlighted it up to white, too, at the highest tips.

Mix used:

dark flesh (base coat)

dark flesh + yellow + dab of titanium white (mid coat)

dark flesh + yellow + titanium white (highlight)

titanium white (brightest highlight)

I then did a brown ink wash on it after it was all dry.

The other experiment I used was with "snow effects" which I used sand as the material (I didn't have any snow effects on hand) and then painted that a very light gray-blue and then highlighted over with titanium white. I'm not sure how I like it, it's the first time I did it, but any recommendations on how to do it would be fantastic.

I apologize that the photos are a little washed out, these are actually the second/third set I have taken after doing a black wash over the armor to bring out the lines more and then re-highlighting. I've highlighted most to white, but it's hard to see that in the photos. C&C welcome :D

post-4937-0-36324000-1373503007_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Do you do the wash after all your highlighting is done? Cause it looks like it's killing your highlights.

Washes for me are used to darken the basecoat and give the model some depth. That way I can then re-establish the basecoat and start my highlighting from there. But that's just the way I paint. Lots of styles out there! :B):

• Like 1

I like the base, but with the green grass it doesn't really give the feel of snow so much as white beach sand to me. The hair looks great.

• Like 1

The figure looks nice.

With your basing you have achieved a soil effect like this:

2553332807_acb81ea73d_z.jpg

• Like 1

Do you do the wash after all your highlighting is done? Cause it looks like it's killing your highlights.

Washes for me are used to darken the basecoat and give the model some depth. That way I can then re-establish the basecoat and start my highlighting from there. But that's just the way I paint. Lots of styles out there! :B):

I do put the washes on after I've completely shaded the miniature, however after that I go back and re-highlight since the washes usually make the shadows darker, which is what I want. In all honesty, what you see right now is fresh highlighting added after the wash. It might look dull due to the photos themselves, but I do see what you mean. Sadly, those were the best I could get.

I like the base, but with the green grass it doesn't really give the feel of snow so much as white beach sand to me. The hair looks great.

I agree. Ah well, it was just an experiment. I think I'm going to just use snow effects from here on out :) She's the first base I've ever tried any winter-y effects on.

The figure looks nice.

With your basing you have achieved a soil effect like this:

2553332807_acb81ea73d_z.jpg

Yep! Exactly, lol. Ah well :)

Love the mini and the colors - is the pinkish note to her hair the photo or the mini? I had a ridiculous time avoiding that effect on my readheaded mini.

As for the snow & grass, it does look good, but not like snow. Your grass is too "undisturbed" by the snow. Put the snow effect over top of the grass and beat it down to the base of the grasses, and take a few single strands of grass and have them poking out of the snow. Some reference pics for how it might look more like snow instead of rocks (of actual grass and snow, not minis:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QpeiDHuq_4I/TUg9rkrltfI/AAAAAAAAAK0/ZSV-mGsHglg/s1600/snow_grass_1.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5082/5231356089_bded6c7f68_z.jpg

http://chrisglass.com/photos/2006/favorite/images/0321-grass-snow.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/119/5/1/snow_covered_grass_01.jpg

• Like 1

Love the mini and the colors - is the pinkish note to her hair the photo or the mini? I had a ridiculous time avoiding that effect on my readheaded mini.

As for the snow & grass, it does look good, but not like snow. Your grass is too "undisturbed" by the snow. Put the snow effect over top of the grass and beat it down to the base of the grasses, and take a few single strands of grass and have them poking out of the snow. Some reference pics for how it might look more like snow instead of rocks (of actual grass and snow, not minis:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QpeiDHuq_4I/TUg9rkrltfI/AAAAAAAAAK0/ZSV-mGsHglg/s1600/snow_grass_1.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5082/5231356089_bded6c7f68_z.jpg

http://chrisglass.com/photos/2006/favorite/images/0321-grass-snow.jpg

http://fc06.deviantart.net/images3/i/2004/119/5/1/snow_covered_grass_01.jpg

it's the photo :)