Sign in to follow this  
Thrym

77116: Colossal Skeleton

Below are the original Colossal Skeleton sculpted by Jason Wiebe and the Bones Undead Giant (renamed Colossal Skeleton in Preview Gallery).

I was looking at the Bones version on my desk after having received my order yesterday and I was amused to note that the primary weapon had changed from the original. A second look proved I wasn't losing it and there it was ... a Tombstone Hammer.

I haven't noted any topics on the conversion ... I didn't search all that hard ... so I thought I would mention it.

I much prefer the Bones weapon conversion. What are your thoughts?

undead+giant.jpg77116_w_1.jpg

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 4

This guy is one favorites (if not my very most favorite) figure in all of the KS. He is next in my que to paint. It's going to be soooooo much fun. I do remember that this was discussed during the KS when it was revealed that the primary weapon had been changed. But I couldn't tell you where. It could have been in the KS comments, or on the forum, or in an update... I don't remember.

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the tombstone hammer, myself.

Actually, I really like saying it. Tombstone Hammer. Reminds me of WWE's Undertaker and his Tombstone Pile Driver.

The first two ideas I had for painting / finishing this miniature were simple but I think neat options ...

A. The Tombstone Hammer is planted firmly in the ground and the giant is just picking it up.

B. Add dirt and roots ringing and dangling from the bottom of the Tombstone Hammer and plant a hole in the ground where it had just been.

Leaning towards B.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 3

I'm thinking I may convert a chronoscope BONES into a crushed heap under the hammer with assorted splatter and debris! :lol:

Reminds me of WWE's Undertaker and his Tombstone Pile Driver.

I vote that we call it that as a named magic weapon! ::P:

I noticed the resculpt during the KS, but it made sense to me since the giant khopesh is rather stylized; the Tombstone Pile Driver seems like it is more flexible in regards to fitting the giant skeleton into various settings.

When dryfitting my two colossal skeletons last night, I found that they both sagged over 15-30 minutes after assembly. For one of them, the hammer dropped about 1/2" until it was resting on the table. For the other, the hammer dropped from about 2" above the table to 1", but then seemed to stabilize.

What are other people seeing in terms of the "proper" height of the hammer? Is the Bones material capable of holding the hammer off the table, or will it eventually bend to contact?

When dryfitting my two colossal skeletons last night, I found that they both sagged over 15-30 minutes after assembly. For one of them, the hammer dropped about 1/2" until it was resting on the table. For the other, the hammer dropped from about 2" above the table to 1", but then seemed to stabilize.

What are other people seeing in terms of the "proper" height of the hammer? Is the Bones material capable of holding the hammer off the table, or will it eventually bend to contact?

Proper height is resting on the table surface.

Proper height is resting on the table surface.

• Or a skull inserted under it.

• Or an adventurer squished under it.

• Or a mole popping up under it.

• Or with the Tombstone flipped over teeing up a large ogre head and the Skeleton hoping to hit the 4th green in one swing.
Edited by Thrym
  • Like 4

Just checked and was happy to see I order 2 of these (and one for a friend).

I may pick up the Khopesh in metal ($2.04 from the Boneyard) for one, just for variety.

Really like the tombstone hammer though.

• Like 1

I much prefer the Bones weapon conversion. What are your thoughts?

It looks neat at first. but then it starts looking like it should be breaking off on the first swing.

• Like 2

It looks neat at first. but then it starts looking like it should be breaking off on the first swing.

I suppose if you are hitting something that isn't squishy ... it prolly will break apart.

Perhaps this is one of the powers of a colossal skeleton ... so long as there are tombstones nearby ... it can manifest another Tombstone Hammer from one.

Both are cool, but I like the original Khopesh better.

If anybody wants to change it, cutting and swapping the bones part should be easy enough.