Miliput, Greenstuff, or ProCreat?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so I have a big question, I understand that Green Stuff is a two part epoxy putty- but will any two part epoxy putty work? Like what I get in the automotive department, hardware department, craft stores, etc? Or does it have to be the "name brand" Kneadatite putty?

Okay, so I have a big question, I understand that Green Stuff is a two part epoxy putty- but will any two part epoxy putty work? Like what I get in the automotive department, hardware department, craft stores, etc? Or does it have to be the "name brand" Kneadatite putty?[/size]

Different epoxy formulations have different performance properties. Kneadatite Green Sculpting Putty is highly regarded for the purpose of miniature figure sculpture, and many of the techniques in modern miniature sculpture depend on its specific properties. That's not to say other formulations are without their uses. Some have greater or lesser elasticity when cured. Some are better at preserving certain kinds of detail than others. Some are preferred for their structural strength or sealing properties. Like anything else, it comes down to knowing what the right tool for the job is.

Different epoxy formulations have different performance properties. Kneadatite Green Sculpting Putty is highly regarded for the purpose of miniature figure sculpture, and many of the techniques in modern miniature sculpture depend on its specific properties. That's not to say other formulations are without their uses. Some have greater or lesser elasticity when cured. Some are better at preserving certain kinds of detail than others. Some are preferred for their structural strength or sealing properties. Like anything else, it comes down to knowing what the right tool for the job is.

Thanks, I picked up on that from other posts, but that doesn't exactly answer my question. I want to fill some gaps on some of the Bones figures- do I have to use Kneadatite Green Stuff or will any two part epoxy putty do the job? Is that the "only right tool for the job"?

Kneadatite Green is possibly the most like the Bones plastic in terms of flexibility. Other sculpting putties will work but may crack if the joint is large and subject to much movement. There are formulations marketed at hardware stores for plastic repair and marine applications that should perform adequately. Metal-bearing putties such as those used for plumbing or auto repair probably are the least ideal for gap filling, but they can be crafted into precise sharp forms, and some sculptors use them to make weapon blades and other hard-edged parts.

• Like 1

i think im going to order some procreate this week i found a website that sells it in 50 gram portions but 2 of them (100g) will be 17 and some change including shipping. Now if i wanted it to dry a little stiffer i could mix it with milliput? And if so what ratio would be good for that 50/50?

I would also appreciate some kind of rough mixing formula for when we want to mix GS with some other scuplting material. This would be for adding things to bones figures or sculpting the broccoli bases into an entire circular/rectangular base. That also means I don't want to have to heat cure it.

Thanks in advance!