Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Gypsy Wagon...Building Tutorial Walk Through...(WIP)

post-11942-0-76172800-1373732596_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-73362400-1373732529_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-74227600-1373732468_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-74170000-1373732408_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-43644600-1373732342_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-79078900-1373732282_thumb.jpg

TUTORIAL WALK THROUGH (Building small 2 wheel gypsy flatbed supply wagon)...as requested by member AnneO'Leary.

STEP # 1: (Photo 1)...Basic parts you need to cut...

1. Card stock (2"x3") = wagon bed

2. (8) scale lumber boards = wagon bed

3. (2) scale lumber edge boards = wagon bed

4. (4) heavy scale lumber = wagon under support frame (drill for shaft)

5. (2) wagon wheels = from my parts box

6. (1) brass rod = wheel shaft

7. Assemble these items for wagon bed (Photos 2 & 3)

STEP # 2: (Photo 4)...

8. Scribe planks on wagon bed...varied ways of doing...I scribe each plank with an x-acto knife for grooves & texture of rough wood

9. Add bolts to bed side rails (railroad bolts) = 5 to each side

10. Add rope tie down eyelets (brass rod/make) = 3 to each side

11. Add step ups (brass rod/make) = 1 to each side

12. Add driver seat box (scribe wood)

STEP # 3: (Photo 5)...

13. Make horse harness (T) bar...parts box item modified

14. (5) eyelets to hold chain for horses

15. Cut chain to desired length & attach eyelets at proper points

STEP # 4: (Photo 6)...Paint your pieces as desired

(WAGON)...I paint my utility wagons by using a base coat of (Jacobean Stain/Minwax Wood Finish)...Once dry,,,I apply (Adirondack Alcohol Washes) = Ginger, Butterscotch & Sunset Orange...I dry brush with artist acrylics (sable brown, light cinnamon, desert sand).

(WHEELS & T-BAR)...I paint my wheels & t-bar (Krylon = Satin Burgandy).

STEP # 5: (Photos will be posted as finished product = Gypsy Wagon # 2)

16. Assemble your parts (attach (T) bar & mount wheels)...your wagon is completed

17. Add supply items as you desire

• Like 7

Excellent "How to do" thread.

Thank you Bayushiseni! I am not one to give tutorials because so much of the stuff that I do is " outside the box " and does not conform to the standard model building rules followed by most model builders of fantasy stock/materials. I was worried that my walk through posted above would be too brief and difficult to understand/follow. I am happy that you did not find it as such, and hope that others who are interested will find it likewise.

Looks good. It shows what you do (and the thought process behind it) clearly.

Note: I also like the look of the wagon so far.

• Like 1

Thank you so very much for this. I was wondering how you did this with such precision and how you got the "character" into the wood. This is a good walk through as I can follow it just fine and understand the steps you took.

I do admire your abilities as a scratch builder and am also partial to your vision as an artist.

• Like 1

I don't think most of the people here are worried much about standard rules. We like results, Great tutorial. Please share more in the future.

• Like 1