Sign in to follow this  

Yeah, really like the base choice. I like the fluff you have developed for this guy and wiil be watching for further developments.

Thanks, Inarah. I love these bases; I got several 40mm and 30mm in the same pattern; all the NPCs in the Cannith complex will have them. It's going to be fun to put together a "team" that isn't PCs!

Quick update...started putting some putty on the standing foreleg. This is my first real foray into sculpting organic things, and my first real session with greystuff, so it's...interesting. I'm not unhappy with it, though.

You can see, I'm working in small sections. Here's the shoulder:

.post-3328-0-78618500-1373974796.jpg

Then the foreleg:

.post-3328-0-25679600-1373974803.jpg

And finally the hand.

.post-3328-0-36117900-1373974809.jpg

I have some plastic trimming once it cures, and then I need to sand and polish this down before trying to add some texture. The opinion has been floated that it seems rather 'roided up, so maybe I need to do some slimming? What do y'all think?

• Like 6

Depends on what you're going for - it doesn't look all that off from what a normal, healthy lizard leg would look like. If you want a half rotted, cadaverous limb, then it might be too thick.

Kinda hoping to end up with something frankensteinian...muscles shouldn't be atrophied, because the arcanolectrical energy flowing through keeps them whole. But it still seems pretty big. If the other leg were getting this treatment (it's not) I'd be worried it would look like he was pointing the way to the...GUN SHOW!

But it will also lose a little mass as I smooth it down. The main worry is that I want to put scales on, and in the current state that would put a ton of bulk on this leg.

OK, so I've slimmed down the bulk on the leg (sorry no pics of that; I'm horrid at documenting every step), mostly with gentle use of a very sharp Xacto blade and some fine riffler files. Trimmed a lot of bulk down to the Bonesium, which got shaped and smoothed along with the putty.

Now I've started putting scales on the shoulder and leg. I'm essentially taking a sheet of putty, rolled very thin, and laying it over the section of leg I'm working on. Once it's down and not peeling up easily, the arrowhead point of one of my sculpting tools makes some nice little chevron indentations.

.post-3328-0-03621400-1374378938.jpg

In the above shot, you can also see the flaps of flesh that I've built up and stretched across the collar region. The idea is that much of the dragon carcass had to be rebuilt, so some flesh was pulled back, like rolling down a sock, then rolled back over the metal framework. I'll eventually be going for a similar idea on the tail and one wing.

Here, you can see the next section getting worked on:

.post-3328-0-38205000-1374378876.jpg

I've actually put scales on the whole leg now, I'll try to remember to get a pic of that before I start my next sculpt session.

Between letting things cure on the leg, I started work on the head. Here you can see the shape of the lower jaw; the right side of the face will not get this treatment.

.post-3328-0-56590800-1374378856.jpgpost-3328-0-02449400-1374378918.jpg

The idea behind the head treatment is that much of the living dragon's head was destroyed, leaving half the lower jaw, much of the main cranium and one horn. To protect the skull, Cannith made essentially a helmet to fit over the top. Here, you can see the one horn that will be painted as "original parts", with its spiral pattern. When I paint it, I plan to make one eye a gem-like lens, and the other "real." If you know the reference, I'd like to make it as creepy as Eva Unit 01's exposed eye.

And, just for fun, the stuff I primed today. The wolves (GW Failcast) and the Phoenicia (Guild of Harmony) are for the same adventure, so they're on bases that match Glockendrache's; the Throne of Everblight is unrelated to the rest, but needed to be primed.

.post-3328-0-71619000-1374378890.jpg

As always, comments are welcome! Please tell me what you think!

• Like 18

Adam,

The scale work. I am amazed with the idea, very cool. Sounds like there is more work done on the leg's progress than depicted. I'll hold comments further until I see that.

Brad

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this