I don't like you anymore Sanael. This is so much cooler than anything I've ever done.

• Like 3

This looks really great so far! The idea is cool as well as the execution.

I hesitate to make any recommendation because I know the work has cured and that it will be impossible to make any revisions at this point without starting the texture over. I like the way the scale patterns are laid out and I like the texture of them.

The only thing I could see adding would be to make a more distinctive dividing line between the scales.

What there is currently is something that looks like this VVVVV

Whereas after completing that pattern, following it up with a sharp tool (like a scalpel) and dividing them like this |V|V|V|V|V|

That way it reinforces the fact that they are layered over one another in segments.

Very nice work. I hope you are enjoying working with the graystuff. ProCreate is a great sculpting material.

• Like 1

Patrick, thanks for your comments. I may very well end up removing some scales and reworking them to get better definition, but before I do I'm going to try your suggestion and see what kind if definition I can just cut in with an Xacto. Just need to find my packet of new blades, first; sharper is better!

The greystuff is working nicely; I find it to be less sticky than the greenstuff so far...the fact that I've started using petroleum jelly is also a big help!

He looks AMAAAAAAAZING!! ::o: I agree that the jaw turned out particularly good! The only criticism I have is one you've already noticed, that the toes on his right foot aren't flush with the ground, so they look hyper-extended. Incredible work!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

OK, now that I've said this modification id "finished," it's time to finish it again. For all those who have given ideas and advice, both on and off the thread, thank you.

OK, so first, the detail on the rump and flank was pretty soft. At first, I'm trying to cut the details in, using the scales I sculpted as a guide. The process here is basically to take a very sharp new Xacto blade and cut the edges deeper so the scale "beneath" the scale I'm working on is recessed as deeply as possible. Here's how it looks so far:

post-3328-0-39151500-1380195869.jpg

It's working...OK. I definitely have more definition, but now each scale is a bit more flat than those on the rest of the body. Also, the scales on that piece of tail are really hard to get to and just look a mess, so it's highly likely that the next step for this area is just to cut away a bunch of the putty and re-sculpt the scales, taking a little more time to do it this time.

The other thing I've been working on is removing large parts of the wing:

post-3328-0-24262400-1380195879_thumb.jpg

post-3328-0-82767400-1380195887_thumb.jpg

The idea here is that I'll be sculpting the underside of the wing to match the top, and putting in my own fleshy membranes on the inside of the wing. Probably won't get to do any work on it tonight, but this weekend should see some progress.

Talk to me, folks! Thanks a gain for all your feedback!

• Like 14

Sanael this really is quite awesome, really spectacular.

So is this more a T-1000 type thing..or more a Flesh/Clockwork Golem Frankenstein sewn together Dragon?

Love the new angel of the wings looks so much nicer this way

Thanks all.

Bloodydrake, it's intended to be more of a frankendragon...real dragon corpse augmented by SCIENCE!!, if you will.

Dimsbottle, I'm also leaning that way, but I'm not sure yet. Thanks for your opinion, it helps!

• Like 1

I actually think the bionic eye on the side with the live jaw would give a neat juxtaposition. But that's just my opinion. :)

I'm excited to see what you do with his wing! :D

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Restless
      Hi everyone! I though wyrmgear would look good with some parchment with various math diagrams and equations on its wings so I painted it like such. I also wanted it to pose in some sort of vanity position so I changed its limbs to be more elevated on the upper half and used green stuff to attach the wings at an angle so they are visible from the front and back. I will add more photos from different angles once the green stuff dries. Enjoy! :)

• By BLZeebub
      This guy stands on a GW base but, according the the local aficionados, isn't.  It's in 5 or so pieces, stands around 10cm tall if I recall, and is molded in a very light but not flimsy plastic--I had to hold it a while to make sure it wasn't resin.  Ideas?

• By Gargs
      I've been steadily plunking away at a series of "other" projects but now have some extra time to start "playing" with Bones.  As a newbie, I wanted to start with some nice, cheap models that would allow me to experiment some with the feel of Bones and how paints interact with them since the material is completely different from the primarily metal/resin/plastic that I've been using.  As an additional bonus, this will also give me a chance to play with some of my new paints that I haven't really used yet.  All of this is in build up to some bigger Bones projects that are taunting me on the horizon.  (I see you Kally and Nethyrmaul, don't think your schemes are going unnoticed!)  As an aside, this is one of the great things about the Bones line.  They offer lots of pretty detailed models for cheap, which makes them great practice.  So anyway, the first test subjects:

As you can see we have:

Reaper 77008 Garrick the Bold (a.k.a Sir Forscale)
      Reaper 77240 Skeleton Guardian Sword (3 in package)
      Reaper 77065 Norgol, Irongrave Knight
      Reaper 77171 Stone Golem

These all look like fairly straight forward minis (which means I'll still do a terrible job :P but will at least feel semi competent in doing so!).  Seriously though, they should be good for providing a backdrop for some test schemes for future use and to see how some of the triads work together, etc.

Naturally, it just wouldn't be right if we didn't start with Sir Forscale so of course, we have to Brown Liner all the things!

Hmmm, missed a couple of spots but hopefully that won't be too big of a deal.  I did forget that I probably do not need to thin the Brown liner much, if at all, when working with Bones so it did get a little bit thinned.  Hopefully he'll hold it together though.

As always, feel free to offer any advice, critiques, or suggestions as this progresses.  I'm still really new and will definitely appreciate any tips, with no offense being taken as I know have the skills of a new painter, but would like to get better!
    • By joesk
      OK here is another bones I did recently. I wanted it done for a high level game we were playing but never finished it in time.

I have seen some of the others on here that have been done and borrowed from a couple. Of course I am not up to there level of detail as I am just getting back into painting. Not saying I will get as good, but practice does help. Also I need better mags to see. It's Strange that the camera on my tablet here picks up so much more detail then I can see with my eyes with what gear I have.

Now as you can hopefully see I tried to make it look like it is made of my thrall and adamantium. This was going to be used by my technologist character but now too late. So I will have to hope I can work it in with my gnome I will be playing later. Might put butterflies or some other gnomey thing on the shields. I also tried to make the wings look like they are leather with a weathering look. I used gloss cote on the body and flat cote on the wings membrane.

Joe

<EDIT> un inverted the last to pics to what they should have been.
    • By Sirithiliel
      Finally he's done! After trying to initially paint him shiny and metallic, and having him laugh at my efforts, I decided to just ruin him on purpose. Slowly managed to do passable rust after soooooo many layers of paint! But here he is, enjoy! PIctures of winged and wingless versions. The wings will remain unattached and only put on if the husband wants him winged for a game. Base is from Dreamforge. 

WIP thread here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55988-rusty-wyrmgear-wip/

"It seemed like such a good deal. Braythick Bearhammer the dwarf mapmaker/treasure salvager had been poking around some gnome's antique dealings stall and seen it standing there, looming in the back of the tent. It was massive, a masterwork of engineering, gone to rust and ruin. Still, it could potentially be useful to the dwarf. It did after all have a blade upon its tail, and long legs. It could carry his tools! Yes, it had been a brilliant plan. Something to carry his tools, and any 'rescued' loot he found in abandoned ruins. Something to defend him from the wilderness [and natives of said ruins that might disagree with his right of salvage]. 

And it had been a steal. The gnome had been desperate to get rid of the thing. It seemed too good to be true! Something like this could save him the cost of hiring lackeys to carry his stuff, of hiring thugs to protect him. It wouldn't need to eat, or sleep, it could guard him while he slept. Definitely too good to be true.

And it was.

Because apparently it had a few screws loose. Literally and figuratively. It had the attention span of a jackdaw. Braythick did not want the confounded thing to get distracted by a butterfly while he was trying to fight off a mountain lion or troll. And yet, as he unslung his hammer to remind the local natives of his right to found loot, the darn thing would turn around and trot off without a care in the world, leaving Braythick to run in an undignified manner after yelling at it.

And most likely, the gnome that sold it was laughing as he counted his coins, grateful to be rid of the troublesome, ancient war machine"

• Who's Online   28 Members, 3 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)