Sign in to follow this  
catdancer

Terrain tips you may not have thought of...

post-11942-0-77242300-1373834045_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-84993300-1373833967_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-22247600-1373833887_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-96024000-1373833809_thumb.jpg

I am often asked (HOW DO YOU DO THAT)? Every modeler has their own way of doing things and this quick note is not intended to change the way established model builders work. It just puts forth the way that I do things (for what it might be worth to others reading this).

1. PHOTO # 1...I build 98% of my pieces on standard ceiling tile. It is easy to cut, shape, groove, paint, etc...it is light weight and takes both white glue & hot stuff very well and it does not warp or bend.

2. PHOTO # 2...All my roads are made/covered with real desert dirt (not store bought)...I gather up a jar full of dirt (spoon by spoon) and put it through a 3 stage sifting process (3 sizes of kitchen strainers)...to get the fine dirt...the small rocks...the larger rocks...the rest is garbage......I also get dark earth (for woods/animal pens/etc.) by doing the same process with dark flower potting earth.

3. PHOTO # 3...I make my own rock castings out of plaster (you do not need expensive rubber molds and such)...just take aluminum foil and form a tub/shape and pour your casting plaster into it. When completely hard, just peel off the foil and your casting will have every crack/crevasse that your foil had (you can make the texture the way you want it when you form your tub.

I use grape stems (let complete air dry) to make thorn bushes...I use dry orange peels to make all my meats on spits/ribs on plates/etc...I use dried apple slices that have been in a tobacco can for a couple of weeks to make fungus on tree barks and tree bases.

4. PHOTO # 4...Shows (4) creeping flesh pieces (made out of orange peel)...the large round piece is a desert bush/fern that made a great looking vampire plant (that sucks the blood from victims)...the (3) tree stumps are tabletop game markers (I also use single rocks on round bases as game markers)...Last of all...your lady adventure character has slipped into the pond to take a well deserved bath...she is attacked buy a couple of goblins...where are her clothes...her weapon? These two marker pieces tell/show you exactly where they are...how long does it take for her to reach them...she grabs her weapon & fights in the buff (any armour reduction?) How long does it take her to get dressed (if she tells you that she grabbed her clothing & weapon)...Your the (GM); you have to decide!

If some of you liked this information...I can post more such tips at a later date...let me know,

• Like 6

I've been trying to come up with something to make small bushes with. I scour the ground looking for the right sized twig and never find exactly the right thing. Grapes-I shall buy some. And I have potting soil on hand so I can use that in future.

Yes, I would like more of these!

• Like 1

Depending on where in North America you are, there are wild grapes that grow like weeds. I've seen them from New England to Chicago.

• Like 1

I've used grape stems for trees for quite a while. For something that seems so fragile they hold up fairly well. If you want bushes/small trees without leaves go to a creek and look for tree roots sticking out. Get the ones with lots of little tendrils. Once those dry out they make fantastic winter bushes & trees.

• Like 1

Further west, sage and Russian thistle (tumbleweed) work pretty well for tree and bush skeletons. And the seeds from cattails (dry the cattail in a plastic bag, otherwise you'll have a real mess) make good grass.

• Like 1