Planning for RC '14- I have questions

Kay

Also, it's nice to see you posting Argentee; how's the con prep going?

Sooooooo looking forward to Reapercon. A con where I'm not running anything? Bliss.

That can be corrected.

Nonononono.... I am no where near a good enough painter to teach a class. And Reaper has no need for stupid trivia games, thus eliminating me from duty. *sage nods* That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'm pretty certain that Anne has her horde of freelancers already on the ropes to teach classes so you don't have to worry about getting dragged into that.

I don't know what Reaper's policy on volunteers would be or if there is one. In general they are already bringing in sculptors and painters and a number of other people for full rides for the convention. I'm not sure how willing they would be to chip in for other volunteer expenses. Having run conventions in the past I would guess that the expenses for ReaperCon are already quite high with the number of people they are already bring in to support the convention. Getting an answer on if they willing to cover some volunteer expenses probably isn't going to happen until after BONES II ends.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what Reaper's policy on volunteers would be or if there is one. In general they are already bringing in sculptors and painters and a number of other people for full rides for the convention. I'm not sure how willing they would be to chip in for other volunteer expenses. Having run conventions in the past I would guess that the expenses for ReaperCon are already quite high with the number of people they are already bring in to support the convention. Getting an answer on if they willing to cover some volunteer expenses probably isn't going to happen until after BONES II ends.

Good to know, thank you Heisler! :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Didn't even consider a rental car, thanks guys! Looks like it would cost roughly $200 for a weekly rental, then plus gas would come out to about $400 very roughly. I dunno, I might be willing to pay the extra $300 just to save ourselves from the 4 days of driving!

Make sure the car rental cost includes the miles you will need to drive there and back. That can be a significant additional cost when you go over their daily/weekly limit.

Not sure it is applicable where you live, but one possibility for lower fare in some US locations going to the Dallas/Fort Worth area is MegaBus. I know of them, but I haven't tried their service.

Didn't even consider a rental car, thanks guys! Looks like it would cost roughly $200 for a weekly rental, then plus gas would come out to about $400 very roughly. I dunno, I might be willing to pay the extra $300 just to save ourselves from the 4 days of driving!

Make sure the car rental cost includes the miles you will need to drive there and back. That can be a significant additional cost when you go over their daily/weekly limit.Not sure it is applicable where you live, but one possibility for lower fare in some US locations going to the Dallas/Fort Worth area is MegaBus. I know of them, but I haven't tried their service.

Don't forget to add meals, lodging and your time when comparing driving to flying. With seat sales, it might be closer than you think.

Make sure the car rental cost includes the miles you will need to drive there and back. That can be a significant additional cost when you go over their daily/weekly limit.

Not sure it is applicable where you live, but one possibility for lower fare in some US locations going to the Dallas/Fort Worth area is MegaBus. I know of them, but I haven't tried their service.

I took a MegaBus from Chicago to Iowa City (~4hrs) a few years ago. It was actually quite pleasant, which surprised me. My previous experience with long distance bus travel had been very negative.

The bus I was on had decent seating, wifi available, and electrical outlets at every row.

Ahh... the ectasy of the metal exchange bin. 15 years of scrap minis and bits and bobs made for 9 pounds of exchange. Extracted most of 2 warlord armies and a Huge eastern dragon by AEG. That alone was worth every bit of effort to get there. Watching my son begin to get involved in the same hobbies and interest as his dad was icing on the cake! My job makes me a globe trotter though so my costs to get there were minimal: Free airfare, discounted car, free hotel. At least there is some bonus to spending way too much time away from home and family.

For those driving, you might want to consider air flights. Even if I had to buy the tickets they were only around 300 each, so for a single it would cost less than driving...

This year I get to see if I can get a few more of my friends to join me.

• Like 2

• Artists

A friend took a MegaBus trip a while back. The biggest issue he had was the lack of terminals and such, which granted is how they keep the fares low. He ended up waiting on a street corner for several hours in cold weather and didn't love that experience, but whether that kind of trade-off is worthwhile depends on how much you want to get to RC I guess!