Planning for RC '14- I have questions

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10-11 ours driving by myself would probably drive me nuts. A car pool with 2-3 drivers, on the other hand, is a totally different thing.

That's just about perfect for me as a solo driver.

Agree.  That much driving in a day no problem!

I'll do up to about 15 before I whine too hard. Solo that is. Multiple drivers I haven't found my outside limit for. 29 is the longest I've gone with one other driver. Stopping only for gas and restroom breaks. Of course now that I live in the Pacific Northwest, I'm far enough away from any convention other than PAX that I fly because the cost/time off work calculation doesn't make sense otherwise.

I drive to enough conventions that I look forward to flying to this one - especially since I live in Canada,Eh?

Huge respect goes out to those who do drive the distance.  I just hate being in a car that long.  The first few hours are fine when everyone is excited and you have lots to talk about.  After that, people either nod off to sleep or sit there thinking "are we there yet?". 

I drive to enough conventions that I look forward to flying to this one - especially since I live in Canada,Eh?

Huge respect goes out to those who do drive the distance.  I just hate being in a car that long.  The first few hours are fine when everyone is excited and you have lots to talk about.  After that, people either nod off to sleep or sit there thinking "are we there yet?". 

I never think that.  I'm always thinking "what am I going to see next".

• Like 1

Have you driven across Kansas? :devil:

• Like 1

Have you driven across Kansas? :devil:

I have.... as well as Nebraska!  

So you are aware that at least in those instances there really isn't anything to see next. I think this applies to Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Oklahoma and definitely western Texas on the road between Dallas and El Paso. That's just boring country.

10-11 ours driving by myself would probably drive me nuts. A car pool with 2-3 drivers, on the other hand, is a totally different thing.

That's just about perfect for me as a solo driver.

My wife is the only person who I'm ok with being in a car with for more than oh, about 15 minutes.  Driving long distance I'd much rather do solo than with anyone else.  My longest single-day solo drive was from Helena Montana to Colorado Springs.  That's something like 850 miles.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sculptdude
      We are very excited to be able to come back and participate at ReaperCon again this year!
      There are a ton of new releases that will be in-stock at the show and a couple of other special items.

Bombshell Miniatures presents the 2021 Golden Maelee Award. This is a Sponsored Award section of the annual Reaper Master Series Open Painting Contest. All entries will be awarded a Gold, Silver, or Bronze Bombshell Dog Tag depending on the level of painting and presentation of each entry. The brand new, larger, Golden Maelee trophies will be awarded to the top three paint jobs (Gold, Silver, and Bronze) depending on the number of entries.

Entries will need to feature at least one or more Bombshell Miniatures as the prominent subject. This can be anything from Babes, Sidekicks, KritterKins, to robots, or busts. Each entry will be judged on its own merit of painting execution, presentation, and skill.

Entries from artists who have been professionally commissioned by Bombshell Miniatures are ineligible for the Golden Maelee Trophy at this time, they may still receive Dog Tag awards.

BADGE RIBBONS
      We have some new ribbons. Come by our booth and receive our Bombshell ribbon for your visit.
      You may receive one of the other themed ribbons depending on your purchase.

THE RESIN VAT
      This year we will be offering seconds and mis-cast resin parts for sale by weight. Just scoop out what you want and we'll weigh it at check-out.
      Although these castings didn't pass muster, you may find a gem that is just right for that conversion or terrain project down the line.

COUNTERBLAST FOR SAVAGE WORLDS
      Over the past year we have been working on creating a setting book of our Counterblast game for the Savage Worlds RPG.
      Come by our booth and get the details to sit in on a couple of impromptu RPG preview sessions during the con.
      There may even be freebies involved!

We are super excited to visit with all of you again and we're looking forward to see what you've been painting!
      Patrick & Vicky

• By buckyball
      Hey its buc. I have run games of Rangers of Shadowdeep at Reapercon and the Reaper online conventions. Is there enough interest for me to run Rangers of Shadowdeep at Reapercon in person this year? Would it be better to put my effort into Stargrave and or Frostgrave?

buckyball
    • By buckyball
      I was considering running a game at Reapercon this year (assuming it happens). Is there interest in Stargrave as a convention event? Are other people planning on running the game at the convention?

buckyball
    • By Sylverthorne
      Yup, we're doing this again.
      Anyone else who's planning to drive may feel free to chime in; we'll be rolling down from Washington, but wherever you're coming from, welcome to post!

More details as plans evolve, of course. 
    • By Restless
      This is a bunch of minis in one. I was looking at my pygmy mammoth mini a couple of months ago and I just felt the need to dangle something from its tusks. I found some little bottles I had bought years ago from a Michaels or Joann and the rest of the ideas followed smoothly. I chopped some phosphorescent plastic from a little dino model you find in Fred Meyer and put those in the bottles and they do glow in the dark. I wasn't able to take a good photo of that, alas. I first saw the idea of a large pack animal with lanterns on it, traveling into an uncertain world, years ago when I saw this art: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/7638820 and fell in love with it.

List of materials
      - Pygmy mammoth https://www.reapermini.com/search/mammoth/latest/44111
      - Shadoweyes Catfolk rogue https://www.reapermini.com/search/cat rogue/latest/44118
      - Adventuring accessories https://www.reapermini.com/search/02638
      - Adventuring accessories II https://www.reapermini.com/search/02963
      - green stuff (I used the silicone sculpting brushes and vaseline to get this level of detail)
      - little bottles from Michaels or Joann
      - phosphorescent plastic (I used the plastic support for the dino pieces from JARU, Inc. Dino World Glow Fossils - no dino pieces were harmed in the making of this mini)

Here are more close up photos.

And here is the making process.

He even has a uvula :)

I chopped off the platform and the swords from the rogue cat. And then I cut off its legs and tail so i could reposition them on top of the mammoth.

And then I summoned the green stuff.

It was really hard to detach the sacks from their metal anchor. I was basically chewing away at the metal with my pliers. But eventually they came off.

Priming this was challenging.

I sealed the base with a heavy layer of gloss sealer later on.

Invoking more green stuff, this time for the cape, blanket edges and the harnesses.

I used the cap on one of my new brushes to support the rolled up corner of the cape overnight otherwise it would have fallen flat. I smeared it with vaseline so it wouldn't stick and become a problem once the green stuff dried.

Sculpted the edges of the blanket because just painting the dangly threads on the mammoth looked flat and most unsatisfactory.

I think I'll name her Shen. And have her wreck havoc for my players in my D&D campaigns.

I don't have photos for the harnesses because after staring at this mini for so long I got dizzy and had to lie down. And then I forgot to take pics and I finished the piece. The harnesses are just twisted long strips of green stuff. I measured the distance from the tusk to the hand and then made them and let them dry before attaching them.

Hope you enjoyed this build :)

• Who's Online   8 Members, 2 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)