Randomness X: Glitter, Wolves, and Mighty Thews

Last Knight

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you give me a couple minutes of your time, I got a few things I'd like to talk to ya about. You know, uh, what you did wasn't really your fault. It's what you call a, uh, genetic defect. Mom called it the, the gene. My grandfather had the gene. He, uh, came over on the boat from Ireland in 1912 and I guess he passed it on to my old man. My old man was a great guy, a real pussy cat, you know, hard worker. Big sports fan, but sometimes on his way home from the docks he liked to stop in with the guys and have a couple of beers, ya know. I remember coming home from school one day, and, uh, the whole house was dark. Couldn't figure it out. I heard my mom crying off in the dark someplace, and I was old enough at that point I could reach the light switch. I turned the lights on, and I saw what he did to her. So I went to my room and I got the, uh, baseball bat. Mickey Mantel model my old man give me for Christmas, and I found the old man passed out in the bathtub, and I tattooed him. Needless to say, when I came home every day from school after that, the, uh, house is lit up like Ebbets Field, and the old man, uh, never drank again. So all I'm saying to you is, if you wanna drink, you go ahead and drink. But if I ever find out that you laid your hands on that little girl again, me and Mr. Mantle are gonna pay you a visit, my friend.

• Like 3

So, I'm having fun playing King's Quest 1 (the original, 1980's version), and decided to fiddle around with the speed controls, since Graham was moving kind of slow for my taste. I discovered that the game has three speeds: Fast, Normal, and Slow. Assuming that Normal was the current speed, I typed Fast into the command bar. Unfortunately...the character was still moving when I did this, so at Mach 5 he flew out of the castle, into the moat, and was both drowned and eaten by alligators before I could so much as blink.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long while; just goes to show how fast computers are now compared to 30 years ago! :lol:

Unrelated: Even though I said yesterday that my Quest for Glory thief character was named Fred the Quick, it was niggling at my brain that it wasn't quite right. His actual name came to me while I was doing dishes last night: Fred B. Nimble:upside:

I thought it rather clever when I came up with it. Though, to be fair, I was all of 6 or 7 at the time.... ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 15

So, I'm having fun playing King's Quest 1 (the original, 1980's version), and decided to fiddle around with the speed controls, since Graham was moving kind of slow for my taste. I discovered that the game has three speeds: Fast, Normal, and Slow. Assuming that Normal was the current speed, I typed Fast into the command bar. Unfortunately...the character was still moving when I did this, so at Mach 5 he flew out of the castle, into the moat, and was both drowned and eaten by alligators before I could so much as blink.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long while; just goes to show how fast computers are now compared to 30 years ago! :lol:

Unrelated: Even though I said yesterday that my Quest for Glory thief character was named Fred the Quick, it was niggling at my brain that it wasn't quite right. His actual name came to me while I was doing dishes last night: Fred B. Nimble:upside:

I thought it rather clever when I came up with it. Though, to be fair, I was all of 6 or 7 at the time.... ^_^

Huzzah!

You were six or seven in the '80's?  Pffft.... Young'uns.... :rolleyes:

I remember in 1980 my cousin who lived in NYC had to pay $100 to get us Missile Command for the Atari 2600 because it was sold out everywhere. Our first "family computer" was a Colecovision Adam - which was actually more like a word processor that played Colecovision games on cartridges... And computer games on tape cassettes. You had to pay extra for the floppy drive.

• Like 8

You were six or seven in the '80's?  Pffft.... Young'uns.... :rolleyes:

I remember in 1980 my cousin who lived in NYC had to pay $100 to get us Missile Command for the Atari 2600 because it was sold out everywhere. Our first "family computer" was a Colecovision Adam - which was actually more like a word processor that played Colecovision games on cartridges... And computer games on tape cassettes. You had to pay extra for the floppy drive.

Er, not quite. I was born in '85, and the first Quest for Glory game was released in '89, but my family didn't acquire it until a few years later.

Fred B. Nimble lives again! :bday: The Humble Bundle that had all of the King's Quest and Quest for Glory games included both the original EGA graphics version of QFG 1 (which primarily utilized text commands), and the '92 VGA remake, featuring an entirely point-and-click interface.

I started off playing the VGA version, and was rather puzzled, wondering whether my memories of playing it were false. Just for fun, I tried out the EGA original, and recognized it immediately! :wub: I think I'm gonna stick with the version I know and love, especially since that will make for an easier transition into QFG 2, which did not get a VGA remake.

Aaaaaahhhh, so many happy memories. :wub:^_^ It feels a bit weird to not have to fiddle around with floppies, though. I had a 3 1/2" floppy with my saved character on it (the QFG series allowed you to import your character from a previous game), which I was able to carry through the first three games. Unfortunately, sometime between games 3 and 4, the floppy got corrupted, and I had to start all over from scratch. :down:

Huzzah!

• Like 12

*** Puts on very heavy combat boots, the kind with steel noses****

*** Glues sharp spikes onto the noses of the boots***

*** Kicks Monday in the Elf... ****

*** Kicks Monday again...And this one is for George, he asked me to say Hi to you***

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 8