Randomness X: Glitter, Wolves, and Mighty Thews

Last Knight

Oh, and it's really annoying trying to paint a pile of skulls when the only colors you can use are orange, purple and green...

Reeeeeeally?

The bonus challenge for October specifies that you're only allowed to use orange, purple and green. (The paints have to actually have that color in the name -no violet or moss, etc.)  Also not allowed to have white primer showing through... Which means that I can't simply use a wash or a glaze to shade the white primer.

The lightest color I currently own that applies to the parameters of the challenge is a very light green. Fortunately, it reads as an off-white compared to the very vibrant, saturated colors on the main figure and works well as the highlight color. The issue I'm having is that there's a huge gap in my available paint selection to use for shading it, since it's a very saturated color and I'm having difficulty finding something inbetween the highlight and shadow color that works for the transition (as most of the lighter colors I have aren't particularly saturated) - I need the skulls to read as off-white while still having the skulls count as green. So I can't really use any of my oranges on them, and purples make them too purple, but greens make them too green. Additionally, the lighter the colors on the other parts of the mini get as I highlight them, the less bright the light green appears in contrast.

The larger overall cause of the issue is this: Approximately 65% of the miniature needs to be orange, 25% purple and about 10% green. It doesn't matter how I mix the colors to get that effect as long as the end result reads as those percentages. (Which is good because I'm going to be mixing that very light green into everything for the highlights.) The issue arises because I need to get that 25% purple and, aside from the loincloth it's wearing, there just isn't very much on the figure that can be painted purple. And I have a very limited amount of green percentage to work with so I can't use green for the grass. Which means that I need to do the grass and rocks so they read as a washed-out winter-y grey that still counts as purple (light purple shaded with green), and the body on the ground is going to be done in shades of orange (orange shaded with green to distinguish it from the monster painted orange shaded with purple). So the skulls on the ground and the creature's teeth need to be green. The teeth weren't hard since they're a small area and slightly greenish teeth are appropriate for the undead. But the pile of skulls will just look wrong if they read as anything but white-ish (even just a purple wash for the shadows brought out the green in them) and I can't really do an orange wash or glaze on them without them reading as "tan" and thus counting as "orange".

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't have had this problem if I'd stuck to all desaturated colors and painted the creature so it was a leathery color (desaturated oranges), but my darkest desaturated orange was Pumpkin Orange, so even using that as a base coat and shading that with purples the guy would have ended up being a very pale shade of tan by the time I was highlighting him. On the other end, my lightest legal color is essentially a green version of Linen White (slightly darker) so there's only so far I could have pushed the highlight without having him start turning greenish. With those limitations the overall color palette of the piece would have ended up becoming very subdued and muddy, with the entire thing ending up a very limited number of shades of tan.

Which would have definitely satisfied the conditions of the contest, but not particularly satisfied me, as the entire point of choosing this figure was to see how far I could push the rules and my own cleverness.

I'm starting to believe I may have hit the wall on this one. And  even beyond that, I'm not entirely convinced that I'll have enough time to finish him before the end of the month.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 3

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A guy I know somehow stumbled onto a treasure trove of AD&D books, mostly from the late 80's. He says most of them are still factory sealed, too. The only titles he's given are Hollow World DM's Sourcebook, Tales of the Outer Planes, and The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, but he said there's like 20-30 books total.

I wanna club him over the head and take his stuff, but he's like 60 and has neck and back problems already, so it would probably kill him and I don't want to be a murderer.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think I hate him.

Have you considered making him an offer on any of it, or perhaps working out some kind of trade for your services since he's got back/neck problems?

• Like 4

A guy I know somehow stumbled onto a treasure trove of AD&D books, mostly from the late 80's. He says most of them are still factory sealed, too. The only titles he's given are Hollow World DM's Sourcebook, Tales of the Outer Planes, and The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, but he said there's like 20-30 books total.

I wanna club him over the head and take his stuff, but he's like 60 and has neck and back problems already, so it would probably kill him and I don't want to be a murderer.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I think I hate him.

Have you considered making him an offer on any of it, or perhaps working out some kind of trade for your services since he's got back/neck problems?

He's already playing the Fleabay game with them. And his neck and back problems are more along the lines of "I can't be hit because of a couple fused vertebrae." He's much more physically fit and active than I am, and I'm half his age. Not to mention that he lives like 2 hours away, and I can't stand being around his wife, who hovers.

• Like 3

I enraptured a whippet today.

Was there any Bacon involved?

Not even.

I was carrying a load of fruits and vegetables and some milk back from the grocery store and it just zeroed in on me as I walked through the park.  It was super friendly.  Its owner said it had never acted like this before.

My husband calls me "Snow White", sometimes.  Possibly from the time the butterflies wouldn't stay out of my hair.  Or the stray cat that wrapped itself around me like a scarf.  Or ... well, never mind.  Let's just say this isn't the first incident of Mysterious Animal Friendliness.

Animals see who you are ...who you really are, enjoy these encounters.

I've had encounters with dogs that were supposed to be "mean" somehow they liked me.

Always fun to see the look on an owners face when "Killer" decides to walk up to me and lick my hand.

Hmm, was that actually friendly, or was Killer trying to sample the taste...?

• Like 3

Hey all,

I'm back. I haven't been on the Reaper forum much or done much hobby stuff in general, so I'm trying to finish off my giant mountain of unpainted minis. It's great to be back! :)

Welcome Back,

It is a bit quiet in here now, because a lot of forumites are attending the Reapercon 2016.

So you're stuck with us stragglers...

Looking forward to see painted stuff soon..

Hmmm, they are all out to Reapercon...

*** AAARRROOOOOO!!!!****

*** Runs to Ub3r's Cave and sprinkles it with glitter, snags some of the skullmugs***

*** Then hops to the Drow's lair and "cleans" all the spiderwebs Knarthex had collected, places Ub3r's skullmugs in the Drow's lair.***

*** Gently moseys over to the place where the Corgis's from the Haminister of Truth are, feeds them a Growth potion***

Oohhhh I'm Evil!!! 

MWWHUAAAHHAAARRRROOOO!!!!!!

Edited by Xherman1964
  • Like 7