Randomness X: Glitter, Wolves, and Mighty Thews

Last Knight

• Replies 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Halfway debilitating jaw and neck pain. Figure it must be a tooth, but my mouth seems 100% fine. Confounding.

Meh, it's all connected in there. Could be congestion in your ears, could be a tooth that's not hurting directly yet. Could be stress. Hope you feel better soon, I've had that pain and it sucks.

It's in the right spot for deferred heart-attack pain! But I don't think it's that. But maybe!

It's just weird. Started as neck pain I've experienced before, been in upper and lower jaws, up in the ear a little, right in the jaw joint, moving down the lower jaw--everywhere. Except in my teeth. Meh.

But gonna find a dentist on Monday. Figure that's as good a starting point as any.

• Like 5

Ah. That explains things to an extent. NoZ forgot to give Mori the Werewolf ribbon. I'll get one later

Also do these count for the acquisitions thread?

If you didn't have them before, and now you do, they've been acquired.

Spent half the day outside adulting... Got the pool mostly drained. Took the ladders out. I lifted one of them over the pool fence, lowered it down on the other side, and, as it was only SIX INCHES OFF THE GROUND... I let go of it.

It dropped softly to the ground. Soft ground, covered in grass.

And the entire ladder disintegrated:blink:

All three of the thick molded plastic steps broke. The upper and lower ones snapped off on one side, but the middle one snapped clean off on both sides.

I can only assume that it was because the ladders were over thirty years old and the plastic was at the end of it's lifespan.  :rolleyes:

Trimmed a lot of brush off the pool fence and the side of the house, where the vines keep trying to scale the drainpipes and the electrical wires. Old man came around while I was working and decided Something Should Be Done about a small tree growing in the front yard near the property line. The very tops of the highest branches are about a foot taller than the lowest line going from the pole out by the street to our house, and about two feet away from it. So there's maybe a snowball's chance in Hell that they'll even brush against the lines when I drop the tree tomorrow, but the old man has decided that this is an Issue, and must be dealt with accordingly - he's going to completely over-complicate the entire process and use a suborbital kinetic bombardment satellite to swat a fly. Despite the fact that even at it's base the trunk of the tree is only about four inches across, he's insisting that we throw a rope over it and use his truck to pull it to the side before we cut it... :rolleyes:

I plan to get out there early tomorrow, get out the large step ladder, and just use the clippers to knock off the top two feet or so, and then just take the sawz-all to it in four foot sections.

And thus, I sign off for the night, in order to go make a batch of colcannon and perhaps manage to watch a movie while I peel the taters, and wake up early tomorrow...

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 10

hands OneBoot one of his bags of candy corn. Brach's of course.

Aw yeah, the good stuff. :wub: *noms*

Also.... Frands....! Such good friends here. ;A; While I did not need the cheerleading, I greatly appreciated it. :wub:

*waves pom-poms* ::D:

Oh forums, it's so nice to see you back again!

*hugs back!* ^_^

I love my crazy awesome insane wonderful Reaper family! Y'all are as nuts as I am, and it's a glorious thing. :bday::wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

:blush:

It's good to see you too.

• Like 6

Halfway debilitating jaw and neck pain. Figure it must be a tooth, but my mouth seems 100% fine. Confounding.

Meh, it's all connected in there. Could be congestion in your ears, could be a tooth that's not hurting directly yet. Could be stress. Hope you feel better soon, I've had that pain and it sucks.

It's in the right spot for deferred heart-attack pain! But I don't think it's that. But maybe!

It's just weird. Started as neck pain I've experienced before, been in upper and lower jaws, up in the ear a little, right in the jaw joint, moving down the lower jaw--everywhere. Except in my teeth. Meh.

But gonna find a dentist on Monday. Figure that's as good a starting point as any.

Sounds like whatever it is may be following one of the branches of your facial nerve; talking to a dentist is a good place to start. I hope it recovers on its own quickly, or failing that, I hope it turns out to be nothing serious. :(

...There was something else unrelated I was going to say, but I can't remember now. Something about Halloween, I think. *shrug*

Huzzah!

• Like 6

Totally not a double post. My day got better. I have discovered that another Monster Hunter is releasing in Japan, hopeful it comes here, and that they announced the new Nintendo system. I so hope it does eventually replace the need for a handheld system and home system since it can do both.

• Like 8

So there I was reading the forums before my friends came over for board games.

I had all the windows open, because it was more than 80 degrees here today. ( 27C for those of you who abandon your roots and leave your traditions behind.) This was to clear out the stale air that had built up from the running the air-conditioning during our nearly 6 straight months of 90ish degree weather. (A slight exaggeration, but only slight, and my husband doesn't think to open the windows.) Everything was going well, it was a bit chilling this morning, but as the day warmed a slight breeze picked up and dismissed the dank that had settled into some of the rooms.

The cats also benefited greatly. Panes of glass, that not  only muffled and constrained the sounds of wildlife. It also cheated them of all the olfactory wonders that scurried, swooped, and skittered by. These barriers that usually impeded their full enjoyment of the outside world had been thrown open, laying bare the tantalizing array of new amusements.

I think it was all too much for them, because as I sat here reading the pages of banter most random, when out of the corner of my eye, I spied a grey cat sniffing the pumpkin my husband had craved and placed outside on the front porch. At first I thought it was some ghostly apparition of my late feline companion, and this was a dream, but then I saw the familiar white markings, and realized it was one of my current feline companions. (Whose name is Ripley) However, she is solely an indoor kitty, and only goes outside to go to the vet. Instantly I yelled in anger and fear. She being skittish in nature, ran from the screen door. 

Realizing yelling was the worst thing I could do, I sprang from my seat and dashed to the door. I opened the door, and immediately spied the means to their escape. A screen in one of the front windows had fallen out of it's window, removing the last barrier between them, and all the tantalizing temptations of the outside world. Softly I called out her name, and though at first she was frightened, she has the sense to run to my voice and be let in by the door I was holding open for her. 

However, her male counterpart (Bishop), lacks both fear and sense. I saw his bright white fur meandering through the tall ornamental grasses that adorn the front of my abode. Calling his name, initially got his attention, and he sauntered towards the door, and the safety of indoors, when he seemed to realize that complying to my appeal would conclude his current adventure. He immediately turned around and dived back into the shrubbery. I hurried after him, again softly calling his name, and again he turned and came up to greet me, but just as he was about to sniff my outstretched hand, he lurched away in disgust. Without even twitching a muscle, my intentions laid bare, and him rejecting them categorically.

It took several minutes of careful herding to keep him from leaving the relative safety of the front garden plot, and bar him from running reckless onto the driveway, and then to who knows where, but I managed to keep his relatively hemmed in. I laid on the charm, acting playful, like I did not care if he was outside. Waving a blade of grass here, calling sweetly to him there. But eventually he relented, and came close to me, allowing me to caress his white and orange spotted fur. And then, with the alacrity of lightening, I scoped him into my arms. For a brief moment, he remained calm, until my trajectory belayed my intentions. Then he squirmed and howled his rage at his betrayal, scoring the underside of both of my arms with long red scores. But alas, his struggles were in vain. He was whisked inside, and locked in the confines of the bed room while the offending window was fixed. When he was returned to his freedom of the house, he immediately went back to his former route of egress, and promptly vocalized his grievances and his entreaty outlining how they could be reconciled. 

The ferment fell on deaf ears, and soon the household settled back into it's usual routine. Kittys indoors, Never Outdoors.

• Like 18

Well, I decided to check out the other mini-pots of paint that came with my GW space marines and paints set. The washes are usable, along with the macragge blue, and that's about it. I didn't even have to open the ceramic white to see that it had turned into a plug of plastic. The two metallics are almost there as well, and the base texturing paint is halfway dried. So out of the 8 mini-pots, only 3 are actually usable. Considering that the pots they're in are literally just a shorter(by about half) version of GW's normal pots, that's pretty sad. Either I got an ancient kit, or the pots are just so bad at keeping paints that they can't even do it for a month when factory sealed and in a climate controlled room. It also means I spent $35 on what would otherwise be a $10 3-mini basic space marine kit, a low quality brush, and 3 3ml paints.

I should have checked the paints when it was originally delivered. Then I could have complained and gotten replacements. Now it's probably too late.

Their pots are pretty terrible.  The texture paints start out pretty thick though so it might be worth at least trying them.  If the metallics aren't actually dry you should be able to salvage them with either some acrylic medium or some water, just don't thin them down to much if you use water.

The texture paint may be still usable, but it's starting to look like cracked mud, which is what I understand is it's intended end state. The metallics I don't think are gonna be salvageable. They're looking very similar to what the black primer pot did - a ring of dried paint coating the inside, with a puddle of semi-liquid paint in the bottom.

I've seen Alton Brown's candy corn recipe on Good Eats... That looked mostly palatable, and similar to fondant-based candies. I'm not a big fan of that type of candy to begin with, so I'm not sure that the improved version would be that exciting.

Speaking of Alton Brown, his fruitcake recipe is amazing and I've been procrastinating about starting some. ^_^

Just remember to keep soaking it in brandy!

I actually had a good fruit cake finally at some point recently and found it is yummy is made right

Managed to jam the nail on my little finger pretty bad so that is a pain. Waiting for my package anxiously

A good fruitcake is just an excuse to eat solid brandy. Which is fine by me!

So nice to be done setting up my new workspace... Got a bit left to do but it's mostly storage rather than things that impact the actual usage of the space.

I'm gonna have to rebuild and move my workspace, I think. New kitten has consistently knocked every loose object off of my current station, knocked one of my paint racks off the table causing it to rapidly disassemble, and knocked about half of the paints out of the other one. So I'm going to be moving the station into my bedroom, where I don't let the cats go.

You know, if GW had put all this cool 30K plastic out a few years ago I would have been super excited. 

If GW had more sensible pricing, I'd still be super excited. They've gotten slightly better, but they still have a long way to go.

Anyway, it's the Saturday of Halloween, which is one of my favorite nights to work. All the stupid college kids are running around in costumes, getting drunk, and being even more dumb than usual. You usually get at least one good story about some idiot in a stupid costume being arrested. Like the year that we had the guy in a rented penguin costume start a bar fight, get his butt kicked, then complain in processing about how he'd bled all over the costume and wasn't gonna be getting his deposit back. Or the guy who got a DUI while dressed as a "cowboy." He was wearing a cowboy hat and tighty whiteys, and was in a compromising position with his "friend" who was also dressed as a cowboy at the time of the traffic stop. He said he'd "lost" his pants. His friend had to bring him a pair later.

• Like 8

Given that, ever since I was a kid, my bed has been my homework desk, snack table, reading spot, imaginative play area, quiet place, computer desk, warm cuddly spot, video game seat, and where my sister and I would hang out and write stories late at night...I think any chance my brain had of associating my bed solely with sleeping has long since been destroyed. :lol::unsure:

Huzzah!        

• Like 13

It's all part of that sleep hygiene thing. Since I've noticed my problem with going to bed at a reasonable hour is effecting my total hours of hobby time, I'm trying to change some of my bad habits. So I can end the cycle of: stayed up too late Sunday (could be any day but we'll blame Sunday for now), tired Monday, don't nap but not tired enough not to still stay up too late, Tuesday (which used to be long long days for the most part) I would come home and be exhausted, little of what I still had to do would get done, and that day was the best day for me to do it. Every hour/day I took to finish those tasks, would add time to how long they would take to complete. Wake up too early Tuesday/night Wednesday morning that I still wouldn't have enough sleep, crash Wednesday, still getting nothing done, Thursday feel better but be behind enough that I could barely make a dent in the back log, then my one day off a week would come up, I'd sleep all day, maybe if I was lucky get through my immediate back log, then feel rested enough that I would stay up late and.... the circle is now complete.

• Like 11

Hello headache, thanks for visiting me on a sunday.

Painkillers taken, will paint later.

Also youngest stepvixen will introduce her "totally not her boyfriend, but someone she she likes to hang out with" later today.

"Polishes baseball bat, files Brutus's fangs"

• Like 11