Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

Basing of Kaladrax?

I was searching through the forums and using my Google-fu and I can't seem to find any examples of anyone basing Kaladrax yet. I have him put together w/o any glue sitting on a shelf and was wondering what people have used for bases to place this big-a$$ dragon on. Pictures and sizes of bases would be appreciated to help me (and I'm sure some others) out when trying to get this thing put out on the table.

Thanks!

I'm going to cut him a base of MDF and just layer it up like I would a diorama.

I don't plan on doing much. If he just sits on display, the base he comes with is plenty, and if he gets used in a game...well, if he sits in the center of our playing space, he's big enough he can probably reach everywhere on the board, and I'd rather have players able to see the grid inside his reach than a colossiathan-sized base.

Yes, I just made that size up.

• Like 1

I mostly agree with you regarding the grid and gaming use. EDIT: I'm pretty sure anything larger than Colossial is popularly known as Titanic. I really like that so that's what I'm goin with.

From an artistic/technical POV the larger base eliminates issues with his tail.

As there will likely be a massive flood of him in painting competitions over the next couple years I won't bother with a bevelled/stained/fancy display base. I'm just gonna do a 'scenic' base that includes his perch and ensure that he's removable. That way I can set up the base as if it were actual scenery, lure in my PF group, then deploy Kally when the timing is most deadly appropriate.

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3

I would use the base Kaladrax comes on and maybe build around it for a diorama. Game wise, you would be looking at an Elder Wyrm with the Ravenger or Dracilitch templates. The CR would be in the 30s easy. Guaranteed TPK.

• Like 2

I'd just love to use him at some point rather than have him sitting on a shelf getting dust in his old bones! I think I'll have to stop by Michael's or maybe Home Depot this weekend and find something that can hold him properly including his tail so that I can place him on the battlemat when I need him. I was curious to see if anyone had done this yet and if so what they had used for it.

Should I do desert ruins or swampy ruins? I need to decide so I can start planning out materials purchases.

I think something like a Mayan jungle would actually look really cool, but if the choices are swamp or desert I'd say swamp.

Jeremy,

One of each you had two Kallies right? No... okay buy another one once they go live for purchase and then back to the first statement. One of each. Or or, make one of each base and have Kally interchangeable to either base. :blink:

Brad

• Like 1

I'm thinking something like this:

20744.Madison_Side_Table_4.jpg

Are you going to just put him on the table or remove the legs and make a base of the table top?

Are you going to just put him on the table or remove the legs and make a base of the table top?

Well, it's a 22 inch top, so wouldn't be too bad a fit for him as a base.

And it's actually on sale (65% off or something) on the Canadian Home Depot site...

Hmmm.......

Well, it's a 22 inch top, so wouldn't be too bad a fit for him as a base.

And it's actually on sale (65% off or something) on the Canadian Home Depot site...

Hmmm.......

That got me looking online for table tops lol. I think I found one on Amazon for $22. I just need to remember to measure big-K tonight when I get home to make sure of his size.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure anything larger than Colossial is popularly known as Titanic. I really like that so that's what I'm goin with.

If desired:

- In D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, 'Colossal' is anything 6"x6" or larger (the only official Colossal mini WotC made was on an 8"x8" base).

(although they did create a 'Colossal+' category for some epic monsters)

- In D&D 4e 'Gargantuan' is anything 4"x4" or larger (Gargantuan Orcus is on a 6x6 base).

Also fwiw: Ginormous is now in the dictionary (not that it was brought up).