Ugh, basing.

CashWiley

Weird angles on your static grass means you're not doing it right. But have a look at silfor, they produce pre-made clumps of grasses in various lengths.

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargames-bases-basing/mininatur-silflor.html

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/wargames-bases-basing/mininatur-silflor-blossom-grass-tufts.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if you just prefer painting to gardening take alook at these scenic resin bases..for the 25/30mm they work out to be about 60 cents each..which is awesome and they look really nice if painted up.

http://www.modeldisplayproducts.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=38_50_55

firestorm games ships for free if you order about 50bucks worth(pretty easy to do)

heres some screenshots of them

MDP-RLGB-16-500x500.jpg

30mm-Regal-Stone-500x500.jpg

30mm-RLGB-Chapel-500x500.jpg

MDP-RLGB-04-500x500.jpg

• Like 2

I actually found a great way to apply Woodland Scenics dirt the other day. I don't have photographs yet, but it looks pretty good.

It's this stuff (soil, specifically):

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/FineTurf

Mix it with white PVA glue to make a really thick paste, and then just coat it on the "ground". It will be very white from the glue; but that of course dries clear. When it dried, it's very solid, does not flake, and very much looks like moist, black, "soil".

I'm going to have to take a look at those Army Painter grass clumps.

how anyone can hate basing

Oh look Goblyn is being contrary! :upside: I think I show incredible restraint by emulating a southern gentleman when it comes to basing. I have nothing nice to say, so I usually stick to the paint jobs, when I like a base I'll usually mention it.

Monkeysloth...did you just recommend sea urchins? I see that you did.

I think one of the things I lean toward is a stone type base with a small amount of grass or roots coming out of it. At some point I'll probably have to gear up for doing dioramas because I like those. But really, I just like painting and hate the rest of it. I need minions to prep and base for me. :devil:

how anyone can hate basing

Oh look Goblyn is being contrary! :upside: I think I show incredible restraint by emulating a southern gentleman when it comes to basing. I have nothing nice to say, so I usually stick to the paint jobs, when I like a base I'll usually mention it.

Monkeysloth...did you just recommend sea urchins? I see that you did.

I think one of the things I lean toward is a stone type base with a small amount of grass or roots coming out of it. At some point I'll probably have to gear up for doing dioramas because I like those. But really, I just like painting and hate the rest of it. I need minions to prep and base for me. :devil:

OOOH pick me pick me!

Then go look for a birch tree outside and pick some of the catkins. I pulled a green one off the tree in my yard yesterday and set it to dry to see if it is ready to make leaves for basing or if I need to wait a couple of weeks yet. I'll let you know.

I use to make my own, tons of birch seeds around here, but it's tiresome and annoying to separate everything. So I just buy them now as they mix in some other stuff that give you more variety. The time it takes me to make that volume of leafing is better spent elsewhere.

• Like 1

I've had pretty good luck with pre-mixed vinyl spackle. I usually mount my minis on a washer to give them a steady even sized base for gaming. I use different size washers based on the size of the figure. The spackle is easy to work with and can easily be sculpted to blend into the original base. Unlike regular spackle the vinyl stuff seems to remain slightly flexible so I haven't had any issues with it chipping or flaking off.

Here is a dwarf that originally had a narrow oblong base.

Dwarf3.jpg

It isn't nearly as nice as some of these highly detailed bases, but is simple to do and makes for a very stable base.