Sign in to follow this  
LizardMage

Miniatures that represent Iconic Characters

You might also want to take a look at Blue Moon Manufacturing:

http://www.bluemoonmanufacturing.com/view_product.php?product=BMM214

Their "Things that go Bump in the Night" line has some decent female civilians as well.

I'll note that they're not premium figures, but they're far better than the paint jobs on the covers show. I bought one boxed set on a flyer at a convention and liked it enough that I've purchased several more since.

• Like 1

Wow, there really is a lack of ladies in big poofy dresses. The closest any of the links came (without being NSFW) was Doug's link to foundry's 18th century civilians. Milady Dubarry in the 3rd pack. It's surprising there aren't any Civil war southern belle minis.

I wondered about that too. There are probably a million times as many Civil War soldier figures as there were actual human soldiers, but women of the era are not to be found.

It's as if Civil War battlefields were closed off, hermetic spaces with no one in them but soldiers. Which is, of course, far from the truth.

I'd love to have some picnicking civilians for an authentic First Battle of Bull Run.

Or nurses from the newly formed corps.

Or women who somehow got tangled up in the battles anyhow.

The real Civil War had plenty of women involved. It's a shame the tabletop versions are such a boys' club.

• Like 10

A lot of the Hasslefree Modern Troopers would suit

you can buy the body/head/backpacks separately if you want to mix and match this head might work betterHFMT101%20Hassle%20Head%20composite.jpg

I think I could definitely make that work. A little conversion but nothing too tough. The skull on the mask will be the hard part.

Wow, there really is a lack of ladies in big poofy dresses. The closest any of the links came (without being NSFW) was Doug's link to foundry's 18th century civilians. Milady Dubarry in the 3rd pack. It's surprising there aren't any Civil war southern belle minis.

I wondered about that too. There are probably a million times as many Civil War soldier figures as there were actual human soldiers, but women of the era are not to be found.

It's as if Civil War battlefields were closed off, hermetic spaces with no one in them but soldiers. Which is, of course, far from the truth.

I'd love to have some picnicking civilians for an authentic First Battle of Bull Run.

Or nurses from the newly formed corps.

Or women who somehow got tangled up in the battles anyhow.

The real Civil War had plenty of women involved. It's a shame the tabletop versions are such a boys' club.

I understand your sentiment but remember that as gamers we are recreating the battles in the field where women were few and far between. They were not, generally, involved in the action that is of most interest to gamers.

I'm actually looking for a mini that I can use for Pamela Isley to paint up for a friend. I realize there will likely be some conversion involved. I'd prefer to go for the Arkham Asylum/City take on the character.

I understand your sentiment but remember that as gamers we are recreating the battles in the field where women were few and far between. They were not, generally, involved in the action that is of most interest to gamers.

Another example to reinforce the point: Dead and wounded soldiers are far more common than women on ACW battlefields. But dead and wounded sculpts are notoriously poor sellers even though they're used as markers in some games.

Diorama pieces are of interest to a very small part of the market, so they're hard to justify economically. If you can sell 5,000 of a sculpt of a Union infantryman advancing with fixed bayonet or 200 of a picnic set, it's not difficult to decide which to commission.

None of which should be taken to mean that I disagree with the desire for those figures. I have the ACW civilians set I linked above, plus many of the Foundry figures as well. But I understand why they're hard to find.

I'm actually looking for a mini that I can use for Pamela Isley to paint up for a friend. I realize there will likely be some conversion involved. I'd prefer to go for the Arkham Asylum/City take on the character.

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dryad/latest/03154

I remember when Amalor Myrnnyx painted her up for the Arbor Day contest I thought she looked like Ivy.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48489-arbor-day-contest/?p=706032

• Like 1

Old Glory 25s American Civil War Civilians.

Oh, and this buggy might be of interest, too.

Well, look at that. Somebody did do it! Thanks, Doug.

How is Old Glory's quality? I thought I had heard something about them using molds too long.

They certainly have used molds too long in the past. New figures were often nice (though the proportions could be a bit caricatured), but later shipments of the same figure often showed the effects of mold damage.

That said, I haven't knowingly bought any cast since they effectively* went direct to consumer. I might well buy some if I saw them, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy sight unseen. Their prices have always been reasonable, though, so it's less of a risk to buy a bag of thirty of their figures than it is to buy more expensive figures.

* They charge stores and end users the same prices, so most stores stopped carrying their lines.

How is Old Glory's quality? I thought I had heard something about them using molds too long.

They certainly have used molds too long in the past. New figures were often nice (though the proportions could be a bit caricatured), but later shipments of the same figure often showed the effects of mold damage.

That said, I haven't knowingly bought any cast since they effectively* went direct to consumer. I might well buy some if I saw them, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy sight unseen. Their prices have always been reasonable, though, so it's less of a risk to buy a bag of thirty of their figures than it is to buy more expensive figures.

* They charge stores and end users the same prices, so most stores stopped carrying their lines.

Sounds reasonable, and $36 for 12 metal figures (not 24 like their text says), 5 of whom are the looked-for women, is not bad.

My only concern is I cannot find whether their figures are lead or pewter. Neither their "About Us" or their "FAQs" page says which they use.

I'm not sure if lead is a deal-breaker, especially since these seem to be the only 28mm females from circa. 1840-1860 out there. But it would be nice to know if I can recycle their metal at Reaper, say, if they turn out to be unusable.

Sounds reasonable, and $36 for 12 metal figures (not 24 like their text says), 5 of whom are the looked-for women, is not bad.

My only concern is I cannot find whether their figures are lead or pewter. Neither their "About Us" or their "FAQs" page says which they use.

I'm not sure if lead is a deal-breaker, especially since these seem to be the only 28mm females from circa. 1840-1860 out there. But it would be nice to know if I can recycle their metal at Reaper, say, if they turn out to be unusable.

It's almost certainly 24 figures (2 of each sculpt). Not just because that's what the website says, but the bags I've bought in the past had multiples of each sculpt as well. They have certainly been lead-alloy figures in the past, but I can't say whether they still are. I wouldn't be surprised, though.

How about Darkness from Legend? I know there are tons of busts and large sized models of him but a 28mm scale miniature? Haven't seen one myself...