Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

How to paint a base to look like grass (Pingo's methd)

Great thread Pingo, Thanks! I did this a couple weeks ago on the first of my Korbalas army minis (having seen your first post on this), not wanting fragile basing, but did not take the time to do as good as you do. Now I see where I could have done better. :)

Andy

That's awesome, I'll have to try this! I bought some static grass but I was also worried about how it would hold up under the rigors of gaming, since I'm only planning on giving nice bases to the PCs. :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

As with the first set of pictures - mind=blown.

True mark of a master is in how you make it look and sound so easy. However, I just know that if I tried it, it would end up looking like ... like .... well, frankly, it would end up looking like crap.

Luckily, I got in on the Happy Sepuku KS. I will use money to cover up my shortcoming in talent!

:lol:

PS I will not be taking any bets on whether my HS bases look better than Pingo's painted bases. ::(:

• Like 2

While the thread and OP are fine and brilliant and most useful, I begin to worry that our Pingo is gonna burn out, here. Got so many fine and interesting projects juggling, I fear she's gonna snap and put away the paintbrushes and take up crocheting or something...

nice work pingo, ill have to give tht a try.  My DDS2 terrain got a very similar treatment.  But I was pretty rushed for time. 

I didn't put nearly as much thought into it, just painted by feel. 

Edited by Evilhalfling

While the thread and OP are fine and brilliant and most useful, I begin to worry that our Pingo is gonna burn out, here. Got so many fine and interesting projects juggling, I fear she's gonna snap and put away the paintbrushes and take up crocheting or something...

Psst. This thread is two years old. No danger of burnout here.

I don't crochet anyway, although I ... may have a yarn-based project going elsewhere, no promises.

But that's neither here nor there. Mostly I use minis paintling as a practice laboratory, a respite from panel painting, and one of several arts and crafts I juggle to spin inspirations and play with ideas.

• Like 2

This is a welcomed thread necromancy holy resurrection.

Never saw the original thread and never even thought of painting grass.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Thrym
      We all keep knick knacks and trinkets to make things from in the future.  Whether it's some small bit, like dragon pendant I got from Salvation Army for 50 cents or some cardboard forms that hold tech devices in place that look like good buildings for Battletech.

I wrote about Bottlecaps as bases a while ago.

Recently, I found the plastic mounting bracket that's been floating around my bench and figured out what I wanted to start making.  I usually draw out what I intend to do, but the shape of the bracket defined its purpose.

This compilation uses a bunch of various finds.  So towards that end, I am going to have a little contest.  

Guess all of the items which I used in here and you will get a random Bones mini.  I will provide a numbered list and one clue because one SET is fairly hard to figure out.

1. ______
      2. ______
      3. ______
      4. ______
      5. ______ Bracket

Clue:  These odd pieces were disassembled from a triangular cap.

The bricks are actual brick I bought off of Wish.  I got the standard bricks plus the square in gray and brick red.  I also have small triangles in brick red.

The stone was split length wise so it was nice and flat. The terrain is a custom grind of bark, black walnut bark, dark cork and and coarse normal cork.

The gears are from Michael's jewelry and findings section.  Some of the white on the terrain is baking soda mixed with super glue.

Here's the piece primed...

Stay tuned and enjoy.

• By Pingo
      These are two copies of the Reaper Bones Large Earth Elemental 77185, sculpted by Kevin Williams.

I saw someone, I can’t recall who, paint up, it might have been one of these, like cooling lava which I thought was lovely, so I wanted to give it a try. I painted the lava version very quickly, in a few sessions: A layer of butter-yellow intensified with yellow glazing, then laying on pure black paint rather thickly, then some washes of Quinacridone Magenta and some fiddling with that and yellow on the gems.

The rock version I painted v-e-r-y slowly, in many layers over time, often with whatever paint was left on my palette from other paintings. I’m not sure when I started it, but since I haven’t painted any minis at all for the last year, it’s been some time.

I thought it interesting how very different a sculpt can look depending on how you paint it.

• By Dae
      After several iterations of painting and base, I'm finally happy with my Griffon and I'm calling it finished! 

The mini ended up looking a bit cartoony 

I did go for something else initially, but it seemed too plain for a griffon, so I was happy to exchange realism for 'striking'. More on PSA.

And I just finished redoing the base -- thanks for support on the WIP board. 

• By Dae
      I planned to go for the coloring suggestion on the box, except with brighter feathers. After base coat and a wash it seemed to turn rather plain. I keep the underside this way, while for the top side of the wings I started adding some variation to the feathers, gradually daring to add more detail and contrast. Took a while to get there, but in the end I was happy and called it finished. I even took a fun picture with it:

But now that I'm a few minis wiser, I demoted him from finished to lacking base. And this is where I am stuck now. 

I had this plan of making a sandstone cliff looking base. I positioned him and started building up terrain, working carefully not to damage the finished mini. I colored some stones of various sizes in a few colors so I don't need to paint as much around the mini and I started to glue my rocks carefully around the base. 

I kept working on it for hours thinking I am getting somewhere, but once I took a break and looked at it again from all sides... I stand by my rocks, I think in a few steps they'll look great, but the scene makes no sense. These are not cliffs, more like a stone quarry, what would a griffon be doing there? - that's too specific and unlikely.

Time to "delete" this somehow and start over... Wish me luck!

https://pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/12/18/griffon-wings/

• By PhantomAquarist
      I was having some fun playing with green stuff and decided to revamp the base of this Goroloth. I scupted corals, tube sponge, starfish, and a deadly blue-ringed octopus! There's some pictures of the sculpts before trimming and painting also. :D

• Who's Online   16 Members, 3 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)