Okay, Leanne ... TURN AROUND AND LEAVE THIS TOPIC. J/K.

She's not on the forums. I think.

Anyway, the Jabberwocky in question is not the Bones Jabberwock from the Kickstarter. Those disappointed may want to stick around anyway.

Feel free to comment or point and snicker.

Here it is:

post-7739-0-69853800-1374028220.jpg

I got this on the holiday clearance sale at FRP Games last December. The manufacturer:

post-7739-0-11409500-1374028265.jpg

As you can see I already pulled it out and played with it a bit to see how it assembles and what shape it's in.

Overall it's a stout figure with the caricature wings and a fairly standard jabberwocky face.

post-7739-0-42411000-1374028743.jpg

The legs were askew from the blister so after some careful adjusting I managed to get it close to where it will stand on it's own. Sadly it was rather boring looking as it was kind of head down.

Sorry, I was working on this in between getting home from work and dinner out with the family so I forgot the unpackaging and initial setup shots.

So, after getting him set, I picked out a piece of slate for him that was big enough for his base and the figure. Then I figured out where I would attach him to the base. Marked the stone with pencil. Then pinned his foot.

post-7739-0-84236900-1374028727.jpg

Measuring where the pin was, I drilled a hole through the slate with a masonry bit.

I wanted to dress up his base and angle him up a bit on the rock so he's looking more level without manhandling his head up and then trying to angle it forward. The base included is a large, slotted, lipped round. I covered the slot with a little tape, put down the smaller piece of slate with some superglue, filled the lip with black ballast and brought it to the edge of the first piece of slate. Then after lining up the larger piece of slate with the hole, I added superglue to the smaller slate edge and the lip at the other end. I filled in the open space formed by the angled pieces with more black ballast.

post-7739-0-85744100-1374028929.jpg

post-7739-0-75386100-1374028942.jpg

As you can see, the smallest masonry bit is too large for the pin so I added some green stuff and smoothed it out.

In this instance, I don't plan to paint the base at all. I like the look of it and it's not a gaming piece. It will get sprayed at the end with sealer and Dullcote.

Once I had the base assembled and things set where they should be, I didn't like how his feet were placed on the rock and wanted to adjust it a little. So I put some green stuff on while holding it to the rock and molded it into more of a heel. I intentionally left it a bit larger then I think the end result will be so I can sand it back.

post-7739-0-84236900-1374028727.jpg

Here he is resting in on the base from both sides:

post-7739-0-14923100-1374029278.jpg

post-7739-0-59501600-1374029290.jpg

Later tonight I will attach his wings. His heels needed time to cure a bit so I don't mess them up while working on his wings. Tomorrow I sand the green stuff out and prime him.

For a paint scheme I was thinking of pink-purple on the belly around to purple-green on top and the back ridges blackened purple with some pink-purple around the mouth from under his chin and the top armored portion of his face being the purple-green.

Or a reverse of that.

We'll see. I have until Friday evening to finish it. Earlier if I plan to wrap it. LOL

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 7

Heh. I wasn't aware of those characters until now.

Too bad that show wasn't around when my kids were young ... they had a dinosaur for a TV program. Ugh.

Now I don't want to paint him any purple.

• Like 1

It's so cute!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Out of curiosity, why did you use the plastic base it came with and not just the stones? Was it a stability issue?

• Like 1

It's so cute!! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Out of curiosity, why did you use the plastic base it came with and not just the stones? Was it a stability issue?

Overall weight I think. A larger stone seemed like too much. And I kind of like the look of the round under the rough edges. Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

I got home last night and attached the wings.

First I glued them into the designated spaces with super glue. However, the wings are too thin I couldn't easily pin them, so I bolstered the super glue with some green stuff.

post-7739-0-21494300-1374060721_thumb.jpg

This afternoon, I will file the heels and the wing joins down and smooth them out.

Then when I get home, I will prime the bugger.

I figure I can get the first base coat done tonight and maybe begin layering in the belly/mouth color.

Question:

If I stick to pink-purple, do you guys think it's best to lay down a pink base coat and then layer in purple shading or should I start with a smidge of purple in the pink?

I obviously will have to see what they might look like first but I thought I would ask general opinion. You know, keep this WIP interactive. Yeah.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1

Okay, all sanded. Time to prime. Of course it's raining. :(

Prolly going to hand prime it. Or spray it in my basement.

I prefer shading down to a darker color rather than up, but it's a personal preference. I think either would work well. Priming white?

• Like 1

Yup, primed white. Which I managed when I got home this afternoon.

post-7739-0-11354500-1374111663.jpg

I am working a bit tonight so to break up the night I brought him in for basecoating.

• Like 1

First base coat done ... underside and wings. I went with Rose and Vallejo Stencil mixed equally to get the pink-purple start point.

post-7739-0-98966900-1374120959_thumb.jpg

Took the pics after underside was done but before the wings.

On to the green ... starting with Vallejo Yellow Green. We'll see where we take it from there. Maybe mix in some purple to get going.

• Like 2

As an aside: He reminds me of a lab rat in the picture above. :) *NARF* "Gee, Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"

Here he is with his green sections blocked out. Happy with everything so far.

post-7739-0-57016200-1374126816_thumb.jpg

Horns and claws will be a matte black. His eyes will be a real purple I think. His rabbit like teeth will remain bright white with some yellowing in between.

More tomorrow. Wait, it is tomorrow.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 7

I would remove the pink directly over the right leg. It should only be on the front (stomach and chest) and under the tail and wings.

• Like 1

I did already. :)

I did another pass of the green and decided to connect the leg and back with green.

That Vallejo yellow green doesn't cover well. Prolly old and that was why it was so cheap.

More pictures to come.

Here he is with his purple glaze:

post-7739-0-31924800-1374156166_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the poor lighting. Will see about better lighting later.

More highlights and shadowing later. Along with details, Horns, Eyes, Teeth and Claws. And veining ... the wings have veins. Which is somewhat weird considering that those types of surface details don't exist elsewhere on the figure. *shrug*

• Like 1