Most Popular Colours?

Don't want to drop $180 all at once for a paint set. As nice as it would be to have every single colour, I'll grow my collection slowly.

That was the way I thought about paints when I started back in February. It didn't work. I've now got over 150 different colors, as well as duplicate bottles of quite a few. I've even gone out of my way to buy old colors that got rotated out of production due to poor sales. And I've bought paints that are no longer produced because either the company went out of business(Ral Partha) or the whole line was discontinued(both old and new style Reaper Pro Paint).

Anyway, I'll second what the others have said about the LTPKs. You'll get duplicated of a few colors like Oiled Leather and Ruddy Leather, but you'll probably use those colors often enough that you'll be glad to have them. Also, you get a nice assortment of colors overall and it's incredibly cheap for what you get.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been loving the Blue and Brown Liners. Especially for Bones, where an unthinned basecoat is needed but the details can be hard to pick out, I find that basecoating with one or the other (depending on if I plan to use a cold or a warm palette) solves those problems nicely without sacrificing detail like the thicker paints do. They are also my go-to washes, once thinned with water.

I'd also get black, white, Linen White and Ghost White (since Pure White is too white for most things), at least one paint from each area of the color wheel, a handful of browns, and some flesh tones.

• Like 1

I think it really depends on the type of things you like to paint as well. If you are more into demons, ogres, etc. that may affect what type of paint colors you use the most. I tend to paint with a lot of blues and greens. Breonne blue, burgandy wine, linen white, ghost white, blue liner, walnut brown, tanned skin triad are some of my most used paints.

As nice as it would be to have every single colour, I'll grow my collection slowly.

That's the way I did it. Started with triads in basic colors, red, blue, green, etc. and then purchased singles as I felt the need for them. I bought colors I wanted to use, not the ones someone else said I should have. I have about 180 colors now, only because I found a vendor dumping them for $1 at a local con a few years ago. Still, out of that there are maybe 20 colors I use often and the rest just sit there.