Sign in to follow this  
Smokestack

Wrath of Kings

Wrath of Kings is 100% a CMoN game. I ran demos for it at Gencon last year,

From the website:

" Wrath of Kings is a property of 5 houses Pte Ltd Published by Coolminiornot INC"

So, whatever that means...

The more I think about the pigmen the more interested I get. Shame they seem to be the grunts (HAH!) for the Gnome army so I'm not really interested in picking up the whole faction.

spoilered for huge image..... Big Pig.

teknes_f04.jpg

Now if someone can do a Possum Knight I can finally get that Rocket Knight Adventures wargame I always wanted/just thought of.

Edited by Nocturne

I like things like:

Ashmen Swordsman: http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/media/catalog/product/w/o/woknasier-900006.jpg

Herald of Blood: http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/media/catalog/product/9/0/900016-heraldofblood_2.jpg

Dancing Master (as mentioned I have this one):http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/media/catalog/product/9/0/900034-gortisi-dancing-master_2.jpg

Dragon Legionnaire: http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/media/catalog/product/9/0/900040-dragon-legionaire-1.jpg

I probably like enough of the Goristi (Vampires) and Shael Han (Psudeo-Oriental) models to look at buying into the KS, the key will be the buy in point and the game play. I don't really need a lot of models "just because" its a KS and can happily wait to get the models I like at a later date. Good thing about a CMON KS, chances of it not funding a pretty slim.

To be fair, CMON is somewhat to blame for the negativity they receive thanks to their own poor communications practices. Of course, why people who are so pissed off with them would bother to back new CMON projects is beyond any reasonable person's guess.

I know why. Because trolls are like magnets. They are highly attracted to other trolls. Troll A knows that trolls B through Z99 will be in on the CMON Kickstarter and in the comments sections. He can't let them have their say without arguing it and bickering! Besides, those newbs as CMON need a lot of suggestions on ridiculous, outrageous, unplanned, crap to be put in the game last minute to please him... or he may take his pledge elsewhere you know!

But you are right, CMON aren't really to blame. If fact, I really like most of their KS projects. Even the ones that don't trip my trigger looks-wise at least seem like a good value for money.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but when you've made more than 5 million dollars over the past year, you shouldn't need to use KickStarter anymore.

I don't understand this sentiment. This money was used, in theory at least, to produce the games in question....thus not being available to produce a new game. CMoN has decided to avoid normal investing channels. Can't say I blame them given the niche hobby industry and the support their KS's have received in the past.

That being said, I don't know if this is really my thing. We'll see. I'm pretty heavily invested in multiple games I will likely not have a whole lot of opportunity to play. Not sure I need another.

But you are right, CMON aren't really to blame. If fact, I really like most of their KS projects. Even the ones that don't trip my trigger looks-wise at least seem like a good value for money.

Can't argue with that. Their project presentation tends to be very good and they usually have well-laid plans for keeping momentum through stretch goals. It's after a campaign finishes things tend to go downhill. I presume they'd ge a lot less criticism if they bothered with more post-funding updates (you know, showing off stuff and such) anywhere near the level Reaper or Red Box did.

For example, I'm a lot less annoyed at the huge Helsvakt delays than the huge Relic Knights one, because Tre Manor seemed to make a good faith effort at keeping people up to speed - something I can't say for CMON or Soda Pop (who certainly could have kept backers more up to speed on their own site/forums, like McVey did for Sedition Wars, so this may not even have been CMON's fault).

Edited by Arkady

Wrath of Kings is 100% a CMoN game. I ran demos for it at Gencon last year,

From the website:

" Wrath of Kings is a property of 5 houses Pte Ltd Published by Coolminiornot INC"

So, whatever that means...

I think that's just the side company, much how Darkage is owned by CMoN but they don't say they are (but they totally are), or it could be that it's only a few people from the company that own the IP and they want to keep it separate from the webstore for liability reasons. I have a few acquaintances there and I have been told in the past it's a CMoN game.

What's the game like?

I like a few of the minis (http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/wrath-of-kings ) and actually have the LE Dancing Master.

It's one of those game that people either love or hate. Now before I cover some of the basic rules I have to state that these were from the demo a year ago and I have no idea how much they've changed--though I doubt this basic stuff has:

1) It's a single role system where only the attacker roles. The interesting thing, and this is the most controversial as well, is that each card's "armor rating" (to take damage) is a chart that ranges from 2-20 and what you roll as the attacker determines if your damage gets through. Some of the items on the chart are counter attacks (some only against magic) block, parry (all which have various abilities that can counter them as well) and so on. Think there are about 10 items.

2) My favorite part of the game is deployment as there are three deployment groups (A, B C). These determine a figure's starting zone as one of those is a standard 4" starting, then 8" the 12" (I believe I have those numbers right).

3) It's single figure and squad based activation. You ether activate a strong single figure or a group of weaker ones and you alternate activation.

Outside of that it's pretty basic.

• Like 1

Some of the models are interesting. I actually really like the Deathbloom model for what it is. And that is absurd exploitation wrapped in a fantasy disguise more flimsy than her outfit. Tastes aside, I won't be backing this as I already have plenty of large wolfmen (I loved Confrontation) and have a handful of new miniature games incoming already thanks to KS.

Despite all this, good luck to Wrath of Kings.

Edited by youwashock