How well supported is CAV?

Irishrover13

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CAV2 already has initiative deck manipulation with the Recon models as well as a Ritterlich faction ability. Papabees, it's been a while since I've cracked open my Warlord book, but IIRC Tactician allows you to bury an opponent's initiative card when it is drawn. I don't remember what spy does. I don't really think it's the way to represent EW.

Tactician gives an extra card in the deck, increasing your chances of activating. Spy lets you delay a card, until after the current one, or some factions can bury it at the bottom of the deck.

ECM could be done with different SAs affecting the deck. Maybe it activates and immediately does something, or next turn it gives multiple cards, or generates dummy cards which would simulate different electronic signatures.

I kinda like it the way it is. IIRC all that electronics stuff factored into target locking during the demo. That made a HUUUGE difference in weapon accuracy, especially since the demo I got to play was pretty much a wild west style shoot out. The Tiamat running out of ammo on the first turn was hilarious.

Most of the missile type weapons systems have either Ammo or Limited Ammo SA that causes it to become useless if a 1 (or 1-2) is rolled when you shoot. Granted you still get to finish the shot itself but that's it for the game unless you get a reload from something/someone.

Running out of ammo on the first turn? How the hell did that happen? Is this some sort of oddball random roll that gives that? Might as well throw in a random roll of "run away" while you're at it. lol

Actually, some good morale rules would be on my wish list for CAV. Not random, but something that made units waver in the face of uncertainty.

• Like 1

Morale checks would be nice but you have to be careful in adding too many checks because they could spiral out of control and bog the game down and soon, you end up with another stompy robot game that takes hours to resolve a simple combat. Seriously though, a roll of 1 when you shoot causes you to run out of ammo? Wow, that's just..... wow. As I said before, if having rolls like this is supposed to add variety or something to a new rules system (when the original was fine to begin with), then just throw in a roll of whatever gives you "run away" or "I win" and be done with it.

EW was a sticking point in CAV 2 for people because of the huddle and I would have loved to see it just go away and allow units to do it on their own only or use some sort of tied in system for targeting but no protection bubble. Infantry was another one I was never fond of but was getting corrected with the RCON update, I could never wrap my head around infantry taking on a CAV in melee. Stand off and pick at them and maybe get a lucky or good shot but not go headfirst into a CAV and go H2H with it. lol

Been a while since I've played CAV but soon I'm hoping to get playing again locally, now that we've got a new place to do so. :)

Okay, another "oddity" that might stand-in for EW is Leadership as in Legions of Steel and Defiance: Vital Ground. A model can have 1-3 points of Leadership and can spend them at any time, even interrupting the other guy's turn. 1 point gets you a bonus to fire, or an instant move of 1", or a "dumb luck" roll to not take a damage point you really should have (on a 6 or 10, depending on die type). 2 points lets you fire again, even out-of-turn. Any of these can be done at any time and especially in the tunnels-boardgame version were a great way of forcing your opponent to waste fire.

This could be called superior target acquisition, or simply not being where they thought you were. Points refresh when the initiative deck gets shuffled and if you have any left when it does, can be traded in for extra initiative cards (max of 1 I would expect given the differences in initiative).

Okay, another "oddity" that might stand-in for EW is Leadership as in Legions of Steel and Defiance: Vital Ground. A model can have 1-3 points of Leadership and can spend them at any time, even interrupting the other guy's turn. 1 point gets you a bonus to fire, or an instant move of 1", or a "dumb luck" roll to not take a damage point you really should have (on a 6 or 10, depending on die type). 2 points lets you fire again, even out-of-turn. Any of these can be done at any time and especially in the tunnels-boardgame version were a great way of forcing your opponent to waste fire.

This could be called superior target acquisition, or simply not being where they thought you were. Points refresh when the initiative deck gets shuffled and if you have any left when it does, can be traded in for extra initiative cards (max of 1 I would expect given the differences in initiative).

Command Points cover some what you are describing. I can't quote exactly what the book says but it's been considered. We didn't get to use these or experience levels during the demo though. I assumed it was to keep things simple enough to learn the game quickly.