How well supported is CAV?

Irishrover13

Running out of ammo on the first turn? How the hell did that happen? Is this some sort of oddball random roll that gives that? Might as well throw in a random roll of "run away" while you're at it. lol

The: roll a 1 and you are out of ammo, mechanic avoids the battletech tedium of crossing off ammo boxes.

It really is explainable though. A F-16 has a chain gun capable of firing 6,000 rounds per minute. But before you think, wow, know this: there are not 6000 rounds in the plane. Not even 3000. Not even 1000 (ten seconds of shooting). There only 500 rounds.

(That would be just 5 seconds of shooting.)

An electronic glitch that keeps the gun shooting until it is dry does not need long.

CAVs have similarities to current inventory aircraft and the possibility of burning through all available ammo uselessly and unintentionally is not inconceivable.

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The: roll a 1 and you are out of ammo, mechanic avoids the battletech tedium of crossing off ammo boxes.

CAVs have similarities to current inventory aircraft and the possibility of burning through all available ammo uselessly and unintentionally is not inconceivable.

From a fluff viewpoint, its always been stated by Reaper that CAVs (and every other combat vehicle) carried more than enough ammunition to last a single encounter. From a rules standpoint, ammo tracking wasn't used as one of the ways to keep CAV fast paced and fairly token-free. I've always thought that ammo should be a part of any campaign system that CAV would get, but making it a core rule as a part of a battle between fresh units is just wrong.

And the comparison to the F-15 is about as thin as you can get. That cannon is a weapon of last resort, not its primary weapon.

Running out of ammo would be only appropriate for campaign rules, meaning you're out of resupplied ammo so you'e not able to use your slug cannon's but energy weapons are fine. If you want to have a run out of ammo due to a poor dice roll as a house rule/optional rule then that's up to you, having it as a core rule is pointless. Ammo check boxes aren't a concern in CAV as Chrome pointed out, so adding in an ammo rule and one where you can run out of ammo on your first trigger pull is truly pointless for standard play.

• Like 1

After several more instances of running out of ammo 1st/2nd turn, we house ruled that for 3-5 turns, the out of ammo rule was not in effect. I also didn't like calling it out of ammo. I prefer to think of a loading/firing mechanism malfunction. To me, it also makes the Tiamat a much bigger gamble. As long as it doesn't run out of ammo, it's almost always my MVP. But with the ammo rule, it made it a risk to put all my points in Tiamats if the had bad rolls.

• Like 3

First real post in about a year so you'll have to excuse me jumping in here but; 'on the subject of Ammo...' I remember Jon removed Ammo from CAV:SO with a somewhat abrupt statement about 18 months or so ago, something along the lines of 'Ammo is gone. Period.'

I've never been particularly happy about ammo in CAV (and even less so particularly with Missiles in a certain other BSR game) but could kind of live with this given the get-out that 'a unit will carry enough ammo for the engagement' was there. However... Something that never occurred to me at the time to present to all those 'how much ammo is the model carrying?' discussions, was actually referring back to the models themselves. I was looking at building one of my many, to-be-built Dictators the other day and had a close look at the launchers of the model and I suddenly thought (and much as I hate to admit that a certain [somewhat expensive] gaming concern in this country might actually have a point in this instance) - there is an element of truth in the position that 'the model is what it is' and I considered, 'the launchers have 10 and 7 missiles in them for this model and so... (imagine wheels turning for a while here) ...that's how many I've got'!

Any takers for this paradigm?

First real post in about a year so you'll have to excuse me jumping in here but; 'on the subject of Ammo...' I remember Jon removed Ammo from CAV:SO with a somewhat abrupt statement about 18 months or so ago, something along the lines of 'Ammo is gone. Period.'

I've never been particularly happy about ammo in CAV (and even less so particularly with Missiles in a certain other BSR game) but could kind of live with this given the get-out that 'a unit will carry enough ammo for the engagement' was there. However... Something that never occurred to me at the time to present to all those 'how much ammo is the model carrying?' discussions, was actually referring back to the models themselves. I was looking at building one of my many, to-be-built Dictators the other day and had a close look at the launchers of the model and I suddenly thought (and much as I hate to admit that a certain [somewhat expensive] gaming concern in this country might actually have a point in this instance) - there is an element of truth in the position that 'the model is what it is' and I considered, 'the launchers have 10 and 7 missiles in them for this model and so... (imagine wheels turning for a while here) ...that's how many I've got'!

Any takers for this paradigm?

I am always a fan of "write-the-rules-to-match-the-model." Does the Dictator sport two types of rockets or missiles? (either according to its rules or by the look of the the launchers... ...looked at the store picture; could be 17 of the same rocket but two different launchers ... its hard to tell.)

If you can get a copy of the first Journal of Recognition, its cover is a cut-away of the Rhino, and you'll see that the missile tubes are fed like Vejlin mentioned. This has never been written down specifically, but CAV's mechanics have always been abstracted, so I've always envisioned an attack from a CAV's missile launcher to be a salvo of several missiles, not a single one. But not every tube either - they'd cycle-fire in waves, allowing missiles to be available for defensive fire when needed.

• Like 1

If you can get a copy of the first Journal of Recognition, its cover is a cut-away of the Rhino, and you'll see that the missile tubes are fed like Vejlin mentioned.

Troll and Toad and still has it as well as the rulebook and the JO2 for less than a buck each. I recently bought a second set of all three books for $8 including shipping! I'm going to try and entice one of my club members to try it out with me.

Even if I never get a chance to play though, the books are great for the mech pictures and fluff.

Picked up the books from T&T as well, now just need the time to read them, finish assembling and painting the CAV that I have, wait on the CAV in the next Bones Kickstarter (crosses fingers) and find someone to play with.... won't be long now!

Rezzing this thread... way back on the first few pages we were going back and forth about whether or not Reaper would actually produce the Bones CAVs. I came across a thread in a different forum that applies directly to that discussion. Back in March, Bryan said that the 8 CAV figs were only prototypes. That means that they haven't had production molds built yet, which is what I figured. He also said that they were going to add 4 more models, for a total of 12. Obviously they haven't revealed those 4 other models yet, so my guess would be that they haven't done anything with them since GAMA.

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48322-cthulhu-cav/?hl=cav#entry693203