Sign in to follow this  
kristof65

my (minor) Bones frustration

So, I've had my Bones KS order for about two weeks now, and as I look around at the dozens sitting on my desk, I am beginning to get frustrated.

Not so much with the Bones themselves, but the fact that I have started painting nearly a hundred of them, but finished only one.

Anyone else having similar issues?

• Like 3

My frustration is that I have half-painted minis being worked on by four different people on the little shelf at my desk, and it's getting really crowded. It also can be a bit intimidating when someone else finds the time and energy to get some painting done when I'm not. I think I need a more secluded paint area.

Well if you are painting you are well ahead of me. The arrival of my bones shipment prompted me to completely reorganize and rebase my enitre collection.

1. Choose 1-2 Mini's you want to paint

2. Put the others away! Completely out of your sight!

I have many miniatures which could need more highlights. Many mini's have main colors + Quickshade. But it is better than nothing.

If you cannot get you in the mood to paint further a mini you started to paint and you think it is in need of more painting, PUT IT AWAY, out of your sight.

OUT OF YOUR SIGHT meant, that you cannot see it again, until you want it!

• Like 1

So, I've had my Bones KS order for about two weeks now, and as I look around at the dozens sitting on my desk, I am beginning to get frustrated.

Not so much with the Bones themselves, but the fact that I have started painting nearly a hundred of them, but finished only one.

Anyone else having similar issues?

So standard figmentia? Yeah I have that too.

• Like 3

If it makes you feel better, I had well over 100 half painted figures on my shelf(s) before my Bones arrived (including 3 Bones) ...

Yeah, don't remind me of that. I'm sure I probably have well over a hundred half painted minis in my pre-Bones collection as well. But at least most of those have three or four colors, and just need final details.

On the Bones, I keep laying down one initial color, then moving onto something else. I started off by painting my two beholders, then moved to the skin on my kobolds, then the skin on my goblins,then onto my rats, with a few others scattered in. And though I haven't put any paint on the yet, my two Bones gryphons keep beckoning me.

On the good side, after I posted this last night, I got 12 of my 24 rats 90% done.

I know it would help motivate me if I could get my GM to say "hey, I'm gonna need some _____ minis for an upcoming encounter." But he's out of town til our next session.

• Like 1

I usually have at least a dozen minis that are in various stages of completion. When I sit down to paint, I don't focus on one mini, but at least 5, switching between them as paint dries. I've been told this is pretty normal. Sometimes I get distracted by a shiny new mini, but so far I'm pretty good at coming back to the ones I need to finish for whatever reason. The upside to this is that I finish minis fairly often, even if I started it weeks ago.

If your queue of unfinished minis is growing, then that could be a problem. But, I wouldn't worry too much about having a pile of them unless you're just not ever coming back to them. If you have 100 unfinished minis all at once, you might notice that one day you have 100 minis suddenly finished all at once. That might not be a problem.

• Like 1

If I get over 15 partially painted, I try to have a couple of paint sessions just finishing some before I start something new. doesn't always work for those brand new super shiny ones...

I managed to get all the rats from my two vampires done, dropping me down to fewer than 80 started.

The "problem" with the Bones minis are the fact they don't need much prep work before I begin painting. So it's real easy to just pick up another mini and start slapping paint on it. This makes it hard for me to use my usual restraint - only prepping and priming a few minis at a time.

OTOH, I have now finished more minis this month than in the previous six months.

I wouldn't feel bad, I usually have quite a few minis in the works. Mostly due to inspiration and the fact that when I'm preparing a mini to be painted (filing off flash, priming, basing, etc. etc.) I find it more efficient to do a few at a time.

• Like 1

I really thought I would tear through my Bones, but I find myself spending a great deal of time on these because the detail of these minis is great. No speed painting here.