When I saw all the many rats I had my first thought was "Man, these are all going to look lame".

Seeing yours however, well for some stupid reason the thought of using different coloured rats never actually occurred to me...

Now I have more reason to start painting some rats!

I love your rats!...Rats are something that I have very few of and would love to have such a swarm for my gaming group adventure play. I love the varied poses, colors and your texturing of these pesky (not so little) rodents...It would take me a while to paint this " dirty dozen " due to the fact that I have never owned or used an airbrush during my entire model painting/building career...really makes me want to go out and purchase such a swarm.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jen/all. I was drawn into miniatures by the first KS, and I wanted these rats to be my first painting attempt.

I was wondering how you achieve that texture effect on the black/brown rats. On the black, is that a grey basecoat with black wash, or just a thin first coat of black with an additional wash over it?

I'm guessing the brown is the same process with a different palette.

The darkest rats are a dark brown base coat. I may have given them a black wash; I don't remember anymore. I'm thinking I may not have. The lighter brown rats definitely did not get a wash. The texture went on with a light dry brush of lighter brown.