Sign in to follow this  
Sanael

77195: Mr. Bones

Had a bit of a paint party instead of playing D&D this week. In the four-hour paint session, I painted up Mr. Bones from start to finish. For a quick job, I'm pretty pleased with him, although since much of his basecoat is P3 paint, he's very satiny and the photos show it. I may take some more shots once he has some dullcote, but we'll see if that actually happens.

Successes: rust on the shovel works pretty well. It's an easy effect, and I could have spent more time on it, but I'm happy with the way it looks (and I think it looks like it has wear in the right places).

Texture on the robes.Although the highlights are rough, they look like a roughspun fabric, which is what I'm going for. The effect is hard to see in the photos due to the aforementioned satin finish.

And he looks good in a short time!

Needs work: Again, highlights are rough. But, I think I'm starting to comprehend painting black a little better.

Luckily, the primarily black robes means there's not much shading for me to screw up!

Without further ado:

post-3328-0-47484000-1374462304_thumb.jpgpost-3328-0-41672800-1374462320.jpg

Can't wait to use him as an evil halfling cleric in my Eberron campaign, but don't tell my players!

C&C always appreciated!

• Like 9

The shovel head is basecoated in RMS Muddy Brown and shaded with 50/50 Muddy Brown and RMS Walnut Brown, then liberally stippled with RMS Rust Brown, stippled with RMS Lava Orange (newer color and AWESOME, never thought I'd say that about an orange, but holy cow it's cool), then lightly stippled with Muddy Brown, Rust Brown and Lava Orange until it looks right. Then some streaks of RMS Aged Pewter for the worn spots, with some very light stippling of the Rust Brown and Lava Orange over the tails of the pewter streaks. It's a simplified version of an already simple process outlined by Jabberwocky on his blog...I used it on my rust monster, too, and I like it a bunch. Super easy, but looks pretty darned good.

Lava Orange has been around a while.

But yeah, that effect looks great, and a perfect place to deploy it. Consider that idea stolen!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Citrine
      Here are a bunch of Wizkids unpainted minis, speed painted in 1 hour or less spent on each, and no fancy basing either.  The latter ones are based on Reaper bases, I think the Wizkids bases are too thin.

Oxen (2) - SKU WZK73099

Crocodile - WZK90051

Heroic Statue - WZK73864

Dopplegangers - WZK90019

Grell & Basilisk - WZK90022

• By BardicDave
      My goal here was to push myself to go as fast as possible. Start to finish it took approx. 2.5 hours, which is definitely a record for me. Contrary to my usual practice, I painted the integral base; when I do get around to doing a proper base, I will likely integrate it into the display. C&C welcome.

• By Cicciopiu
      Hello forum Family, Ciccio is back with more awful minis! 
      I'm trying to get the Blood Rage minis painted ATM, and well... no problem with big guys like the troll or the frost giant, but the smaller minis... O  M  G!
      The worst sculpt I had to paint in my life... really CMON?
      Anyway, is a game, I don't pretend the super quality, and do not need to paint every mini perfectly...
      Let's get it started:

the whole party (sorry for the bad pic...):

The Valkyrie:

The Soldier of Hel:

The Volur Witch:

The Dark Elf:

The Dwarf Chieftan:

As you can see nothing special, tabletop standard.
      Not so "Speed painting" cause of the lack of detail/bad sculpt, anyway from 1 hour (fro the Witch) to 4 hours (the Valkyrie).
      Hope you'll like them. 
      C&C welcome as always.
      Thank you!
    • By Rob Dean
      We were basically on apocalypse watch at work today, so I decided to take my mind off it for a little while at lunch with a speedpaint (60 minutes). Over the weekend I prepared a handful of Ral Partha individuals, inspired by my recent trip to Cincycon, so I brought a group of four with me today.

I tried this guy as a warm-up; it’s been a while since I painted a true 25 metal individual. I wanted to use lighter colors because I usually tend towards dark.  I hoped that the Heart Throb Pink over the Cinnamon Red would look faded.  It needs more blending to stand up to be photographed at this level of enlargement.  I’m also not sure what the extra layer of cloth at the right (but not left) wrist is suppose to be, so I painted it grey. 

I will post a picture of him based, hopefully tomorrow.

• By Loim
      A kid who works for me plays 40K, and was showing me a color scheme he liked. I asked if I could give i a shot on one of his minis, so he gave me this one to paint up. I tried to get a decent result while doing it as fast as possible. Counting priming and sealing I think this is about 2 hours and some change. I did a zenithal prime with Stynylrez, and all colors are RMS with the exception of Nuln Oil and Seraphim Sepia. 

• Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)