Sign in to follow this  
Elyiot

Hi I'm new here. Look at my Goblins!

Hey Everybody,

I didn't see a "New people say hi here" thread, so I thought I'd feed two birds with one seed and say hi here while also showing some of the very first miniatures I've ever painted (well, as an adult).

That's right. Brand new to painting here. I tried it once as a kid but I didn't know what I was doing and only really managed to massacar a few skeletons and vampires with heavy handed use of enamal paints. I should really try to find those figures some day... If only I could, and strip them down and repaint them - a story of redemption - but I digress.

Where are the goblins right? well right here!;

post-7888-0-47266400-1374563256_thumb.jpg

It's hard to get a good close up with my camera on my phone - but I'm really into this rock. You should probably go ahead and expect to see me pose just about all of my finished minis on it.

post-7888-0-23910800-1374563275_thumb.jpg

Ah yes. Blury inability of my phone to take close up shots. Charming.

post-7888-0-02849200-1374563294_thumb.jpg

This guy (with the mace) is probably turned out the best of all of them - either that, or the other mace guy.

post-7888-0-16871900-1374563310_thumb.jpg

Another blury spear guy. Well at least the guys in the background look cool... right?

post-7888-0-23634400-1374563326_thumb.jpg

And here is the whole scouting party. Yes, it's only half of the Goblins from dungeon attack. The other half is being painted by friend/housemate/indentured mini-painting slave, Kya.

So anyway, that's that. If you've read this far, Thanks! and Hi! Please reply with your favorite painting "cheat" - You know, some trick you know that saves time, or just looks super cool. I know a little bit, but I can always know more and I really don't know anything. Also take a look at my trade thread over in the kickstarter trade thread (shameless plug, I know).

• Like 17

When taking photos its always better to move back a little rather than put the camera really close, plain or low contrast backgrounds are better as well.

Welcome to the madness!

• Like 1

Right, but if I move back I'm not zoomed in to get the details, That's why I'm holding it so close, to try to show detail, but obviously it's not working. Thanks for the tips though.

When taking photos its always better to move back a little rather than put the camera really close, plain or low contrast backgrounds are better as well.

Welcome to the madness!

Welcome to the forum! There is a section on the forums called the Tutorial Database. You'll find loads of information there

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32513-the-tutorials-database/

Here's another great place for beginners to go. It's The Painting Clinic. You should subscribe to the channel as he goes from basic to advanced techniques.

Right, but if I move back I'm not zoomed in to get the details, That's why I'm holding it so close, to try to show detail, but obviously it's not working. Thanks for the tips though.

I regularly take photos with my phone (iPhone 4s or 5) and being about 4-6" (10-15cm) away with a plain background captures detail well enough that some of those photos are now visible in Reaper's store. Closer =|= Better, getting the focal length right makes the pictures better. This is the voice of frustrated experience reaching out to you ;).

• Like 1

From what I can see, those are some fine looking goblins.

As for good tips, I linked this in another beginner's thread recently and I can't see why I shouldn't post it again for you:

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12

It's an article called "Bette Davis Eyes" and it seriously helped me start getting my eyes looking natural (rather than the dreaded Crazy Starey Eyes).

An excellent encounter for first-level heroes!

Welcome to the boards. My standard mantra is, "higher highlights, deeper shadows." If you think they're enough, do two steps more. Doesn't matter if you're washing, drybrushing, glazing or wet-blending. Higher and deeper, higher and deeper.

• Like 2

Yeah, there's no "newbies say hi here" thread, dunno why. Anyhow, welcome to the boards.

The goblins look good, as far as I can tell, but it's a little hard to make them out on that rock (which is an awesome rock, to be sure).

Are you sure you can't zoom in with your phone camera? I have had a Droid and an iPhone, and they both had "zoom" features on their cameras. It's worth trying to find out. Also, turning off the flash can sometimes get better lighting.

If you ever do find your childhood minis I recommend keeping at least one as you originally painted it so you can see how far you've come.

With regards to the closeness of the minis to your camera, if you set your camera to a higher pixels per inch you can edit the pictures in Gimp, Photoshop, or what have you, so that it shows the details better. My pictures start out as 4000+ pixels wide, which is just insanely big if you set it to 100%, but when I adjust them to say 1000 pixels wide, the picture is much smaller while retaining good detail.

It also helps to have a macro function on your camera. Probably my favorite function of all ::):

• Like 1

Hi! And OK! I looked and they are goblins. Rockin' goblins.

Standard tip: deeper shadows! Higher highlights! Actually these look pretty good, maybe just a little bit higher on the highlights, if it floats your boat.

I regularly take photos with my phone (iPhone 4s or 5) and being about 4-6" (10-15cm) away with a plain background captures detail well enough that some of those photos are now visible in Reaper's store. Closer =|= Better, getting the focal length right makes the pictures better. This is the voice of frustrated experience reaching out to you ;).

I'll keep that in mind for the next time I take pictures. I'll also read up on basic photo tips over on the Shutterbug subforum.

From what I can see, those are some fine looking goblins.

As for good tips, I linked this in another beginner's thread recently and I can't see why I shouldn't post it again for you:

http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12

It's an article called "Bette Davis Eyes" and it seriously helped me start getting my eyes looking natural (rather than the dreaded Crazy Starey Eyes).

Yeah - Eyes are hard. I look forward to reading that.

An excellent encounter for first-level heroes!

Welcome to the boards. My standard mantra is, "higher highlights, deeper shadows." If you think they're enough, do two steps more. Doesn't matter if you're washing, drybrushing, glazing or wet-blending. Higher and deeper, higher and deeper.

Hi! And OK! I looked and they are goblins. Rockin' goblins.

Standard tip: deeper shadows! Higher highlights! Actually these look pretty good, maybe just a little bit higher on the highlights, if it floats your boat.

I think I need to learn more about how to highlight. What techniques do people use besides drybrushing?

Yeah, there's no "newbies say hi here" thread, dunno why. Anyhow, welcome to the boards.

The goblins look good, as far as I can tell, but it's a little hard to make them out on that rock (which is an awesome rock, to be sure).

Are you sure you can't zoom in with your phone camera? I have had a Droid and an iPhone, and they both had "zoom" features on their cameras. It's worth trying to find out. Also, turning off the flash can sometimes get better lighting.

If you ever do find your childhood minis I recommend keeping at least one as you originally painted it so you can see how far you've come.

Hah, I can't really consider those my first minis - it was very long ago and I didn't know anything. I guess I might save them but... I will definitely save these guys as a historical reference.

With regards to the closeness of the minis to your camera, if you set your camera to a higher pixels per inch you can edit the pictures in Gimp, Photoshop, or what have you, so that it shows the details better. My pictures start out as 4000+ pixels wide, which is just insanely big if you set it to 100%, but when I adjust them to say 1000 pixels wide, the picture is much smaller while retaining good detail.

It also helps to have a macro function on your camera. Probably my favorite function of all ::):

I'll look for that! thanks!

Hit the Shutterbug subforum here for camera help if you're seeking it.

Will do.

This thread is total Buglips bait. ::P:

You're supposed to impart at least one painting "cheat"/"trick" with your reply!

You're new, so I'll forgive you for thinking I might know what I'm doing. :lol: But since I owe you one... let's see... don't eat the brushes. That's a good one. They don't digest well and are mostly empty calories.

• Like 1