Sign in to follow this  
Mistwalker

Flexible Bones and painting concerns

Since there seems to be a few concerns about "spongy"/overly flexible/rubbery bones, I thought a thread to suggest possible solutions would be a good idea.

When the first comments about the "sponginess" came out, I had a few concerns (I didn't have mine at the time).

1) Since then, others have stated that it isn't spongy, as in porous and compressible, but rather more rubbery, as in very flexible.

2) Having played with pre-KS bones, I know that there is a lot more flexibility involved than with metal or resin, which is a surprise if you aren't expecting it.

3)Reaper has stated that several pieces have different properties than most of the bones (including Wyrmgear's wings, Big C's tentacles, Big K's head) - this was a design choice, not an error.

4)Some people have experimented with bones, and have discovered that if you boil and cool them, they become a touch less flexible, and if you boil them repeatedly, you can adjust the bones material from rubbery to stiff.

5)Some have stated that pinning with bones is very easy (even easier if you heat the pin a bit before you push it in) and will be doing so for any miniatures where they feel that there may be any kind of rigidity issue (and some of them have stated that they do that for metal miniatures as well - drill and pin).

Having received mine and been able to play with them, I no longer have any concerns. I am not dismissing concerns that others still have, but I am trying to understand what they are and to see if there is a way of addressing those concerns.

So, my question to those that still have concerns over the rubberiness of Big C's facial tentacles, are you willing to try the boil and cool method, and repeat until desired stiffness has been achieved? And are you willing to report back on the results, or lack of results?

• Like 2

Something I've noticed with the Flit I started painting a while ago is that the simple act of putting paint on it and letting it sit on my shelf for a few weeks seems to have stiffened it a bit. I don't know if that's because the paint is acting like a sort of exoskeleton or if the paint has soaked into the plastic of the mini, but I've got a sneaky feeling that the Bones material is going to stiffen up over time for a lot of the models. (Not to the point of being metal though, obviously.)

A dip in near-boiling (fresh from a kettle) water and then an ice-water dip improved the stiffness of my fire giantess' spear a great deal. But I also noticed that just taking her out of her plastic baggie seemed to make a difference. I'm not sure whether she was originally super-soft from being in a warm delivery truck or what. Does anyone know if there's potentially off-gassing happening? I know a lot of plastics do become harder and more brittle over time and that off-gassing is common on lots of household products, especially vinyl.

Currently I have 3 Bones in progress, 1 from the Kickstarter Vampire set and 2 of the originals. Painting them felt awkward when I started, but is less so now. My adult son is on his 4th Bones mini and loves them, but he is only doing them for tabletop use. I'm personally thinking that Bones are ideal for tabletop, and not so much a display option. I'll be stocking up on Bones monsters and using the much larger metal catalog for PCs, I think.

I left my bones in the back of a hot car on sunday and noticed they had become floppy. When they returned to room temperature they stiffened back up.

My biggest concern is getting carried away with the pinning and pinning my finger. I've already done that with other plastic minis :blink:

Seriously, be careful folks.

• Like 3

My biggest concern is getting carried away with the pinning and pinning my finger. I've already done that with other plastic minis :blink:

Seriously, be careful folks.

You certainly notice it the first time you find out a figure isn't quite as solid as you thought and a small drill bit goes right through into skin. Not fun.

• Like 3

If it helps I can add my own experience with the Pathfinder goblins, which are among the more 'flexible' Bones. It has been about a week since I decided to start on them and while still flexible they are already less so than when I first pulled them out of the bag and cut them off the sprue. I didn't boil any of them because I decided I was satisfied with the slight irregularities between identical models from the two Vampire sets I have, and had noticed the more extreme cases were already less extreme with time. (Note I am only talking about the Pathfinder goblins here). So after taking time to trim mold lines as best I could, I scrubbed them with an old toothbrush in a pan of warm water and dish soap and let them dry out. It was at this point when I noticed a change to a slightly less rubbery feel, as well as a look closer to the more standard Bones material. I then started painting them using my Reaper MSP HD paints, slightly thinned, just like I have done with my pre-Kickstarter Bones and I have not noticed a difference in how they take the paint.

• Like 1