09136 Walnut Brown (Kickstarter Paint Set 3) -- problem?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

walnut brown really is that dark! Here's what it looks like in wash on the left, compared to an artist's acrylic burnt umber on the right:

umber_zps57160053.jpg

I use it as a stand-in for black- it's nice and warm, and covers beautifully!

• Like 3

Oh, yes, quite dark. Walnut Brown is what most of my minis' pupils are, and it goes into a bunch of other things I paint, too. It's half of my favorite black recipe (yeah, I mix my own black...it's better that way), and it shades a lot of colors really nicely.

...the other half is P3 Coal Black, which is actually teal.

• Like 2

Yep, I agree. It is that dark. This is an awesome paint that hits nearly every mini I paint.

A couple thoughts on using it:

- Want a good base for rich black hair? Don't use Pure Black, it is too flat. Instead use a 1:1 mix of Walnut Brown:Blue Liner.

- Walnut brown is a fairly neutral brown, just slightly to the warm side. As such lighten it with blue for a cool brown, red for a warm mahogany, or yellow for a rich golden brown. The possibilities are endless.

- Thinned it works good as a liner. Anne can correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly sure that there is little difference pigment-wise between Walnut Brown and Brown Liner. The difference lies in the consistency (personally, I prefer Brown Liner for lining as it is extremely smooth).

• Like 7